Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

People I'd Like To Kick In The Face

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Postby randy » Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 am

Writers of the last episode of Lost.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby SallyLightfoot » Mon May 24, 2010 11:19 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by ghosty[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by coop41[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by ghosty[/i]
<br>Indie Hipsters: Scrawny little college kids with Rivers Cuomo glasses and Grizzly Adams beards wearing new "70's retro-style" t-shirts (usually a faux faded Star Wars iron-on), making soulless warmed over music that sounds like mid-period Crosby Stills and Nash. Usually they adopt a cheesy 80's act as a pet (like Hall and Oates or Huey Lewis) and run around sarcastically talking about the genius of it all.
The shitty singer/songwriter music they crank out is a soothing balm to the 60-something grey haired pony-tailed "hippies on the weekend" who hang out at Starbucks, of all places, to feel young again. You'll hear a lot of this wimpy caterwauling on NPR or on the narcoleptic sounds of the World Cafe. These kids would do well to buy a Sonic Youth or Pixies record before it's too late. [;)]
[/quote]
you could have just typed "Fleet Foxes" and saved yourself a bunch of time
[/quote]
They don't bother me as much as the zillions of mp3's and CD's of the clones I get in every week at the radio station. If I see one more press release from a band that look like they came from central casting, standing in a field somewhere and claiming Gram Parsons is the spirit that haunts their record, I'm gonna jump out this window.
[/quote]I gotta chime in here and agree that I do NOT understand the alt-folk crap that is all the rage these days. Much of the Fleet Foxes/Iron & Wine/Blitzen Trapper/Bon Iver sound is just old wine in new bottles. Thanks, but Nick Drake, Graham Parsons, Big Star (& Chris Bell, Skip Spence ,Elliot Smith, Neutral Milk Hotel, Red House Painters and many other bands who did the eerie/quiet acoustic-folk thing earlier and far better.
SallyLightfoot
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Mon May 24, 2010 12:15 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by SallyLightfoot[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by coop41[/i]
<br>Indie Hipsters: Scrawny little college kids with Rivers Cuomo glasses and Grizzly Adams beards wearing new "70's retro-style" t-shirts (usually a faux faded Star Wars iron-on), making soulless warmed over music that sounds like mid-period Crosby Stills and Nash. Usually they adopt a cheesy 80's act as a pet (like Hall and Oates or Huey Lewis) and run around sarcastically talking about the genius of it all.
The shitty singer/songwriter music they crank out is a soothing balm to the 60-something grey haired pony-tailed "hippies on the weekend" who hang out at Starbucks, of all places, to feel young again. You'll hear a lot of this wimpy caterwauling on NPR or on the narcoleptic sounds of the World Cafe. These kids would do well to buy a Sonic Youth or Pixies record before it's too late. [;)]
[/quote]
[/quote]
They don't bother me as much as the zillions of mp3's and CD's of the clones I get in every week at the radio station. If I see one more press release from a band that look like they came from central casting, standing in a field somewhere and claiming Gram Parsons is the spirit that haunts their record, I'm gonna jump out this window.
[/quote]I gotta chime in here and agree that I do NOT understand the alt-folk crap that is all the rage these days. Much of the Fleet Foxes/Iron & Wine/Blitzen Trapper/Bon Iver sound is just old wine in new bottles. Thanks, but Nick Drake, Graham Parsons, Big Star (& Chris Bell, Skip Spence ,Elliot Smith, Neutral Milk Hotel, Red House Painters and many other bands who did the eerie/quiet acoustic-folk thing earlier and far better.
[/quote]

Exactly. I'm sure some will argue that bands like Interpol and The Rapture were just ripping off Post-Punk, but that entire movement is just a piddly drop in the bucket compared to the cultural tsunami of Alt-Folk crap that's been dominating Indie since about 2007. Of course, it's a boon for aging baby boomers who are looking for "safe" music they can listen to on their way to the cemetery.

I like Joni Mitchell. I have several Joni Mitchell albums. I don't need 20 million teeny weeny Joni Mitchells.

Just stop. Do something else. Plug in for a change. Fire the accordion player. Anything. Follow Bob Dylan's example and piss everyone off.
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby tileboy » Mon May 24, 2010 12:30 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by coop41[/i]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Best reply of 2010.
tileboy
Room at the Top

Postby DJ Phoenix » Mon May 24, 2010 7:25 pm

More folks who need a good kick in the face:

PETE WENTZ....why is he famous?
Celine Dion(for obvious reasons)
The Madden Twins
The Kardashians
Haley Duff-ugly
The chick from Paramore
Lil Wayne
Anyone who's "Krunk"
fake punks/rockers
people who wear sunglasses to clubs

"Keepin the '80s alive!"
DJ Phoenix
Room at the Top

Postby SallyLightfoot » Tue May 25, 2010 4:23 am

One more: <a href="http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201005200033" target="_new">John Stossel</a>
SallyLightfoot
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Tue May 25, 2010 5:36 am

<br>One more: <a href="http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201005200033" target="_new">John Stossel</a>
[/quote]

You're a little late on this one, Sally. Dave Schultz did it for you 30 years ago. lol

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zrX9Ca7LSyQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zrX9Ca7LSyQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby i_like_lectric_motors » Tue May 25, 2010 9:30 am

<br>One more: <a href="http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201005200033" target="_new">John Stossel</a>
[/quote]

Awesome. Go John Stossel!!! [8D]

-----------------------------------
Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it.
i_like_lectric_motors
Room at the Top

Postby SallyLightfoot » Tue May 25, 2010 10:05 am

What a delight to watch. If I were religious I'd swear Schultz were an angel-- a veritable agent of god.
SallyLightfoot
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Tue May 25, 2010 10:10 am

<br>What a delight to watch. If I were religious I'd swear Schultz were an angel-- a veritable agent of god.
[/quote]

Sally Lightfoot would make a good wrestling name....but you'd have to be quick in order to live up to it.
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby WoodlandParkPunk » Thu May 27, 2010 1:07 am

Nancy Grace

"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." ~ Sid Vicious
WoodlandParkPunk
Room at the Top

Postby coop41 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:32 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by WoodlandParkPunk[/i]
<br>Nancy Grace

"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." ~ Sid Vicious
[/quote]

How did I leave her fat face off the list?
coop41
Room at the Top

Postby inquisitor » Thu May 27, 2010 6:22 am

Nasty game - but I'll play along.

A collective kick to reality show producers, for pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Oh, and an extra hard kick to the face of Patrick Cox of Taxmasters.

?
inquisitor
Running Up That Hill

Postby coop41 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:45 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by inquisitor[/i]
<br>Nasty game - but I'll play along.

?
[/quote]

I assure you I have nothing but the best intentions for fun, please do not actually kick anyone in the face (unless they are on my list)
coop41
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat May 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Kobe can make some shots tho.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—