Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Music legends to perform with unworthy upstarts...

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Music legends to perform with unworthy upstarts...

Postby q89747 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:59 am

... on tonight's Grammys. Chrissakes, I thought it was just a rumor but the Beach Boys share the stage with Foster the People and Maroon fuckin' 5. Brian and the Boys may be more or less used up but their genius of forty-odd years ago still holds up against today's music. These whippersnappers don't deserve to carry their suntan lotion.
Runner up for forehead-slapping injustice: Glen Campbell to perform with the Band Perry and Blake Shelton.
q89747
Personal Jesus

Postby WoodlandParkPunk » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Beach Boys suck. turned the tv off during their segment.

"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." ~ Sid Vicious
WoodlandParkPunk
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:55 am

I actually watched this year's Grammys specifically to see the Beach Boys reunion. I haven't watched it since the 80's.

I thought (what's left of) the Beach Boys were fine for the 2 minutes they were actually given to play. Unless you're of the "Brian is God" school...which I am!....I doubt you'd get the significance of Brian playing with Mike Love after all the acrimony. Plus it was nice to see "shunned for 45 years" original member David Marks up there.

I can't stand Maroon 5 but that was an okay performance. Foster The People were just a trainwreck. They don't have the excuse of "Hey, we're 70!" that the Beach Boys can fall back on. At one point Mark Foster lost the key to "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and never found it again. On the plus side, they seemed genuinely happy to be there.

Paul McCartney has played so much with Dave Grohl over the years that it's not really noteworthy at this point.

Glen Campbell was the highlight of the show. Enjoy it. You won't be seeing him at all after a while.

Nice of Nicki Minaj to pay homage to Satan.
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:52 am

For anyone who missed it, here's Niki Minaj's Grammy performance:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y2tP9s8y2Ic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby djcraig » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 am

My Grammy Review:

I enjoyed Foster The People's enthusiasm. Guess I would be enthusiastic too were I a one hit wonder who got to share the stage with music legends at The Grammys.

Nikki Minaj is borderline retarded and is definitely more irritating than entertaining.

As host, LLCoolJ did his best to "keep it real", desperately trying to retain some "street cred" by speaking more like a young ghetto punk than a middle aged millionaire.

Speaking of staying in key, McCartney seems all over the place on his new homage to the standards. Hard to listen to.

Adele won all kinds of awards as she was both a safe bet and the sentimental favorite.

As usual, many of the categories included songs that were little known and were below the radar of public awareness.

Taylor Swift's feigned surprise response of, "What? for me?" when people applaud her is getting old.

Best moment of the night was the closing number, "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight". Grohl, McCartney, Springsteen, Joe Walsh and others trading guitar leads with the excitement of high school garage rockers.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JhR4zDOa8Zc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<a href="http://www.djcraig.net/los_angeles_dj">DJ Craig</a>
djcraig
Room at the Top

Postby i_like_lectric_motors » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:44 am

Good for Skrillex (at least Robyn didn't win!)and Levon Helm (dude's a legend). Other than that, all the winners suck with the possible exception of Foo Fighters, who at least are good at covering Who songs and had one decent original tune in their entire career.
i_like_lectric_motors
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 am

I have to admit I had the same reaction to the Grammys this year that I've had over the past 15 years when I've caught portions of it here and there...

...I have no idea who most of these people are and I'm proud of that.
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby coop41 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:40 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by i_like_lectric_motors[/i]
<br>Good for Skrillex
[/quote]

Did not expect this comment. Almost as surprised as finding out Adele is white. Bon Iver (yawn - makes Fleet Foxes seem like a techno group) won Best New Artist which i am not sure if it was for their 2008 debut album or their ep or their early 2011 album -likely edging out the Beach Boys for the award. Tony Bennett must be 112 which is just slightly older than every other artist there.
coop41
Room at the Top

Postby thegoldenyear » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Much as I LOVE new wave - it's my default favourite music - I like The Beach Boys much, much more than any new wave band, and more-or-less agree with Ghosty's and DJCraig's assessments above.

Subsequent closer repeat listening suggested Brian Wilson's mike was turned way down after the first verse, and that most of the tonal plushness/accuracy came from Wilson's frankly brilliant long-term backing band who, with a few additions from Mike Love's Beach Boys jukebox group, will be ensuring more of that accuracy on this summer's 50th anniversary tour.

But it was a pleasant, nine-minute mainstream tribute-cum-event, and for those who've dug a little deeper into Beach Boys-Wilson history, a bloody relief.

Surf's Up!

------------------------------------

http://thegoldenyear.wordpress.com/
thegoldenyear
Take On Me

Postby InvisibleMan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by thegoldenyear[/i]
<

But it was a pleasant, nine-minute mainstream tribute-cum-event,
[/quote]

tribute what?
imho it just wasn't quite the same without John Stamos
InvisibleMan
The Jet Set

Postby ghosty » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:56 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by InvisibleMan[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by thegoldenyear[/i]
<

[/quote]

tribute what?
[/quote]

Mike Love's misguided attempts to be relevant in the late 80's/early 90's and tarnishing the group's legacy by inviting John Stamos to sit in with the band will hopefully die with our generation.
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby InvisibleMan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:30 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by ghosty[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by InvisibleMan[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by thegoldenyear[/i]
<

[/quote]

tribute what?
[/quote]

Mike Love's misguided attempts to be relevant in the late 80's/early 90's and tarnishing the group's legacy by inviting John Stamos to sit in with the band will hopefully die with our generation.
[/quote]

come on pretty mama [:p]
InvisibleMan
The Jet Set

Postby Frank_Chickens » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by ghosty[/i]
<br>I have to admit I had the same reaction to the Grammys this year that I've had over the past 15 years when I've caught portions of it here and there...

...I have no idea who most of these people are and I'm proud of that.
[/quote]

Having just looked up to see who was on, I'm too am proud to share this opinion.

However, I would advise caution when searching for Skrillex, the results found are not pleasant.
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Postby coop41 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:02 pm

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/aol/http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.aol.com/embed/WpZoR-QhYLh17WQL_0tkkQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/aol/http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.aol.com/embed/WpZoR-QhYLh17WQL_0tkkQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
coop41
Room at the Top

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—