Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Rock Of Ages- The Review

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Rock Of Ages- The Review

Postby djcraig » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:38 am

Saw it last night. Has to be in contention for one of the worst movies of the year- and we've got nearly six months yet to go.

Turning 80s Rock/Metal music into Glee type production numbers serves neither well. Emasculating formerly testosterone filled Metal anthems with new Pop arrangements and whimsical, choreographed dance moves is downright cringeworthy.

This movie proves the "Less Is More" rule as evidenced by a cast with such major star power resulting in a Hollywood abomination. Tom Cruise gets credit for bringing some gravitas and believability to his role, as does Cat Zeta Jones. And while Mary J. Blige comes across as genuine, most everybody else is reduced to parody.

The only thing scarier than an angry Alec Baldwin within arms length of a reporter is Alec Baldwin playing a gay rock promoter in a wig. Last time I heard a singing voice as thin an irritating as Julianna Hough's was when Britney inhaled helium.

Very few intentional laughs throughout, one dimensional characters and unimaginative dialogue. Anyone else see this mess? Hope you enjoyed it more than I did.

<a href="http://www.djcraig.net/los_angeles_dj">DJ Craig</a>
djcraig
Room at the Top

Postby Spectre General » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:28 am

I haven't seen the movie but from the clips of it that I have seen I have to agree. When you have a bunch of 50 year old actors belting out 80's hits simply for the "marketable nostalgia" factor, it's over...for the decade I mean.

Other than the Glee crowd, I have no idea who would watch this. Kids won't cause it has nothing to do with them, and adults who lived through it won't because they'll know how off target it really is because they lived through it. There's not one thing about this movie that isn't washed up. I really think this movie shut and locked the door on the 80's as a thing people still care about. Get ready for 10 years of 90's nostalgia now. [xx(]

-------------------------------------------------
What is love after all
but occasional steps
of a dance.........
.......In a trance?
Spectre General
The Jet Set

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—