Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Do you like AOR Music?

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Do you like AOR Music?

Postby MissingPersons » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:31 pm

Do you like any artists from this genre? AOR was one of the most popular genres during the 80s especially in the US and Canada also by some degree. Not much popular in Europe or Australia though.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Re: Do you like AOR Music?

Postby Poodle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:12 pm

I love AOR music, especially the keyboard-dominated groups! Some private releases I believe are essential for any AOR fan are:

The Blitz - Get It On! (1988)
The Action - Louder Than Words (1987)
Y Fly 2 London - Just Say No (1984)
Eclipse - 7th Floor (1987)

The Blitz hailed from Green Bay/Appleton, Wisconsin and were a hair-metal type AOR band with the BEST AOR male lead singer out there, Tim Pilz! The Action were a Florida-based outfit with a lead singer/drummer who played with lightning speed. Y Fly 2 London had Nick DeStefano, the best AOR lead guitarist to come out of New Jersey. Eclipse (from Southern California) were the epitome of a Westcoast-type AOR band that rocked a few songs and had an "urban" feel. They also did the BEST ballads I've heard, not unlike Michael Bolton material. Lead singer Scott Doyle really croons.
Poodle
Personal Jesus

Postby Qbertqubes » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:17 am

me too guys. Poodle, do you have the eclipse album?
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby InvisibleMan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:01 am

to be honest I never really understood AOR label... it's melodic 80's Rock/Arena stuff i think?
anyway here are some good ones that are often labeled as AOR...

Strangeways - Native Sons (1987)
Skagarack - Hungry for a Game (1988)
Survivor - Vital Signs (1984)
Boulevard - S/T (1988)
Airrace - Shaft of Light (1984)
Orion the Hunter - S/T (1984)
Virginia Wolf - S/T (1986)
Dare - Out of the silence (1988)
Alien - S/T (1988)
Aldo Nova - S/T (1982)
Toto - The seventh one (1988)
InvisibleMan
The Jet Set

Postby CanzetYote » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:42 pm

I love AOR just as much as New Wave. Brother Firetribe and Final Frontier are a couple of my fave AOR bands.
CanzetYote
Running Up That Hill

Postby trebalmen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:00 am

I can say that i like that music :)
trebalmen
Running Up That Hill

Postby MissingPersons » Thu May 04, 2017 5:46 pm

InvisibleMan wrote:to be honest I never really understood AOR label... it's melodic 80's Rock/Arena stuff i think?
anyway here are some good ones that are often labeled as AOR...

Strangeways - Native Sons (1987)
Skagarack - Hungry for a Game (1988)
Survivor - Vital Signs (1984)
Boulevard - S/T (1988)
Airrace - Shaft of Light (1984)
Orion the Hunter - S/T (1984)
Virginia Wolf - S/T (1986)
Dare - Out of the silence (1988)
Alien - S/T (1988)
Aldo Nova - S/T (1982)
Toto - The seventh one (1988)

Wow I love most of those, especially Aldo Nova's debut, Vital Signs and Shaft Of Light. AOR stands for Album Oriented Rock, but each artist's brand of AOR is different (like Progressive Rock). For example REO Speedwagon and Aldo Nova were both considered AOR but they were sounding totally different. REO were using more 50s-60s Rock 'n Roll elements unlike Aldo who was using more electronic elements. Toto as well, had more Jazz/Soul elements. But essentially it's a radio format, meaning Radio Stations which play other songs apart from the singles or even full albums.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby InvisibleMan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:45 am

MissingPersons wrote:Not much popular in Europe or Australia though.

there were some nice AOR bands from UK, I can think of these:

The Outfield
Walk on fire (Blind Faith) (this year there was an unexpected new album from them, good stuff!)
FM
Heartland
InvisibleMan
The Jet Set

Postby MissingPersons » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:42 pm

The Outfield were big in America in the mid 80s, with their single "Your Love". FM weren't commercially successful, but it's one of the most popular bands among the AOR audience. Indiscreet and Tough It Out are masterpieces indeed.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby InvisibleMan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:34 am

duo 2AM is another nice 80's UK AOR/pop that I discovered online, pleasant music...
also duo I-Ten (Tom Kelly/Billy Steinberg).... I didn't know someone else sang Alone before Heart, their version sounds a bit different..
InvisibleMan
The Jet Set

Postby paulinhodaleonira » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:18 pm

I like AOR music, yes. Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Speed/Thrash Mertal, Power Metal, NWOBHM, Indie, Gothic, Darkwave, New Wave, Post Punk, Punk, Hardcore Punk, Glam Rock, Psychedelic Rock,Progressive Rock, Blues Rock, Blues, Country Rock, Rockabilly etc., and some Synthpops.
paulinhodaleonira
Take On Me

Postby Uvox » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:08 am

Foreigner was, and still is, the ultimate AOR champion in our part of the world. For me, their "4" album from 1981 is the best of what I heard in AOR music.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby ABOATES » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:52 am

If by AOR we are talking bands such as Styx, Asia, Survivor, The Hooters, The Outfield, Bon Jovi, Foreigner, Steve Miller Band...etc. I suppose it would mostly be a no for me. I mean, of course there will always be some nostalgic fondness for some of these bands...but in general, I find them sort of meh and boring. Safe rock...
In terms of genres I really do not like at all...grunge, reggae, country, gospel, rap, metal...I am not a fan.

I like New Wave, Post Punk, Experimental, Avant Garde, Alternative, some Power Pop (like The Knack, The Vapors, The Romantics), and some 60's rock such as The Beatles, The Monkees, The Turtles...etc.
I suppose the best way to describe my tastes overall would be slightly off-kilter experimental pop music. A perfect example that comes to mind would be Depeche Mode's Blasphemous Rumours. Really cool out there/experimental sounds mated to a super catchy melody and chorus.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—