Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Could new wave ever make a complete comeback?

Discussions about the new generations of bands influenced by '80s New Wave and Postpunk

Could new wave ever make a complete comeback?

Postby mimzy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:38 am

I'm actually surprised how it's made a partial comeback as it is - there's a few New Wavers, La Roux, The Killers, Ting Tings, etc who have actually had big chart/album success, and even the pop of today (even stuff like Kesha I hate to say) is heavily new wave/80s influenced.

but still it's hard to imagine the genre ever regaining its 1980s glory. what do you think is it possible or does it not stand a chance because of rap and such?
mimzy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby ghosty » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:24 am

I don't think it ever could. I think we saw the peak of New Wave-inspired bands and an overall interest in New Wave about 7 years ago and it's been waning ever since.

There seems to be a 20 year nostalgia cycle. We had 50's nostalgia in the 70's. 60's nostalgia in the 80's, 70's nostalgia in the 90's, etc....and all of it coinciding with teens from the era turning 40 and current bands rejecting the styles and sounds from the past decade and looking further back.

I would think that 90's Alternative is due for a nostalgia craze soon as those teens hit 40.

"You can't say 'them'. You have to tell me which one of 'them'." - Lenny Bruce
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby mimzy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:15 pm

90s alternative making a comeback! It never even went away! [:(]
mimzy
Switchin' to Glide

Return to Next Wave