Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

2011 albums thus far?

Discussions about the new generations of bands influenced by '80s New Wave and Postpunk

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:30 am

Dylan is shit.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:10 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Frau_Blucher[/i]
<br>Dylan is shit.
[/quote]

You're joking, right? You're into a band that cites him as a major influence. It would stand to reason that you would have some kind of respect for him (grudgingly perhaps but still...).
Heck, they even cover Dylan songs. Their versions of "Subterranean Homesick Blues", "I Shall Be Released" and "It Ain't Me Babe" are all over YouTube. I'm not saying he's their one and only influence (that would appear to be a slew of mid 60's to early 70's rock bands) but he's certainly high on the list.
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:22 am

I don't use reason. I use my ears. If I like something, I like it. I like some Foxes. I'm not actually "into" them - that's a running gag. I've made obnoxiously clear which two bands today I'm into and that's it. Dylan makes my ears bleed. It's just music right?
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:45 am

Well, sorry. Admittedly, I don't read every thread here and I was under the impression that the two modern day acts you follow are British Sea Power and Fleet Foxes (or at least those are the two that pop up the most in relation to your name).

I don't think my criticism of Fleet Foxes was harsh. More of a commentary on hipster twenty-somethings who are unaware of anything pre-punk and are impressed by Fleet Foxes' homages without realizing that they are homages.
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby wherewereuin82 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Guess you've been told Fonzie.
wherewereuin82
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Nothing to even be sorry about ghosty. And I didn't characterize the Foxes criticism as harsh or not harsh. It's not at all relevant to how I boxed them. It might reflect on how, why, or with what perspective (or lack thereof) that others box them. They're just something I like listening to.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby SwampThing » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:51 pm

[quote]More of a commentary on hipster twenty-somethings who are unaware of anything pre-punk and are impressed by Fleet Foxes' homages without realizing that they are homages.[/quote] I'm almost always disappointed when I seek out a favorite bands homage's. Sometimes I feel funny admitting that I find the derivative work superior to the original.

Regarding Dylan, he wrote some great stuff for other artists, in fact most of us growing up in the 70's most likely heard covers of his songs before the originals.

<font size="1></font>
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby zill » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:23 pm

I like Ghosty. Even if he thinks I Can't Own Her is one of the top 5XTC songs.
zill
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:05 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by zill[/i]
<br>I like Ghosty. Even if he thinks I Can't Own Her is one of the top 5XTC songs.
[/quote]

Guilty as charged. I'm a sucker for melodramatic "woe is me" unrequited love songs. [:D]
ghosty
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to Next Wave