Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Name That Tune: Next Wave!

Discussions about the new generations of bands influenced by '80s New Wave and Postpunk

Name That Tune: Next Wave!

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon May 23, 2005 11:04 am

Name That Tune: Next Wave

To help christen the Next Wave forum, how 'bout a Next Wave NTT celebrating modern Wave-inflected songs, all of which are from after the turn of the Millennium. There are 25 songs plus a final bonus track that has giveaway words, but the band was just too good to leave off. I have no idea how the scoring will go – most will be obvious if you know these bands or completely mysterious if you don't - hmm, duh. But every band has been mentioned somehwere in these forums!

The game is on a 100 point basis (2 points each for artist and title). There’s a 2 second gap between clips. Download your response form below and email it to me (my address is in the form). Make sure to put your forum screen names on your answers so I know who you are. I will send the Answer Sheet to everyone who sends me their responses. And please DON’T post your responses here!

Here's the link to the response form:
http://home.comcast.net/~myirwin/NTTNextWave.txt

Here's the link to the samples:
http://home.comcast.net/~myirwin/NTT_Next_Wave.mp3

The game will end on Friday June 3rd at 8PM EDT.

Come on youngsters and old-time music freaks alike, show us what you got!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby MikeP » Wed May 25, 2005 7:25 am

Very cool ... I'm working on it Blir! There are still a couple that are bugging the crap out of me.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby fritzb » Thu May 26, 2005 5:38 am

Well, I'm afraid this game has confirmed what I suspected...

I have been living under a rock for years. While I <I>know[/i] I have heard a couple of the tracks on the radio, I have no idea who they are or what they are called.

That's right. I ca
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu May 26, 2005 5:50 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by fritzb[/i]
<br>Well, I'm afraid this game has confirmed what I suspected...

I have been living under a ro
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri May 27, 2005 8:31 am

PRE-WEEKEND UPDATE: leading into this long Memorial Day break (in the US at least), we have a mere 6 entrants and an average that can be looked upon in two ways. Two folks have submitted extremely low scores just to be good sports and play - thanks! Count
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby dead_irony@yahoo.com » Fri May 27, 2005 10:47 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Blir[/i]
<br>

In fact, with so few submissions, only #s 24 and 26 are unanswered - amazing! A real divers
dead_irony@yahoo.com
Personal Jesus

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri May 27, 2005 11:08 am

Oops, I'm an idiot...that should read #s 23 and 25. Most people have gotten 24 interestingly enough.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby more than this » Sat May 28, 2005 6:12 am

I'd like to be able to play Blir, but I can't even NAME twenty-five new bands. Let alone identify their music. So I'm looking forward to you posting the results and possibly putting a few songs up for DL.[;)]
more than this
Personal Jesus

Postby fritzb » Sat May 28, 2005 9:29 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by wozgo[/i]
<br>I'd like to be able to play Blir, but I can't even NAME twenty-five new bands. Let alone ident
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby ru480s2 » Sun May 29, 2005 1:52 am

I'm sure anyone who tries (including Kimmiii) could get higher than that.
ru480s2
Personal Jesus

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon May 30, 2005 9:46 am

Post-Weekend Update! We've got a good number of players now. The average has climbed to a respectable [b]39[/b] including all entries and [b]48[/b] if you exclude those who submitted courtesy entries with 10 or less points. Still 2 songs unanswered but on
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:25 am

Final reminder for the Next Wave NTT. Game ends today, Friday June 3rd at 8pm EST. Come on, I know there's some Next Wave mavens who've posted to these threads that haven't played yet.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:41 am

The results are in in the NxWNTT. Not a huge turnout but just as good as the early NTT games. The placings:

1st Place: 62 – [b]Cubby[/b] - our well-rounded Renaissance man!
2nd Place: 58 – [b]Egg-Roger[/b] and [b]MikeP[/b] (tie) - still staying in tou
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby MikeP » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:02 am

Great job Mike ... lots o' fun! I'm even considering doing a Next Wave or something similar myself, but I don't want to make it too difficult either.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:27 am

It was fun, but it's definitely harder to do newer stuff. Newer tunes just haven't been burned into our heads for years, no matter how much we may like them. I have two of the albums with tunes I didn't identify (Reptilia and Krafty), but the instant re
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Next

Return to Next Wave