Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bloc Party

Discussions about the new generations of bands influenced by '80s New Wave and Postpunk

Bloc Party

Postby Borneojimy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:01 pm

Anybody else like these guys? I just picked up a used copy of the CD & I was pleasantly surprised. Found both this & the latest Hot Hot Heat disc for under $5.
Borneojimy
The Jet Set

Postby hubcity » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:42 am

Check out "Bloc Party Remixed", too - lots of interesting goings-on there.

-Sean
http://www.altrokradio.com
hubcity
Personal Jesus

Postby hexicon » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:42 am

Yeah, me likee
hexicon
Room at the Top

Postby Natephish » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:14 pm

They make me sleep. I give them a SNOOOOOZE out of 10.
Natephish
Personal Jesus

Postby manekineko » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:28 am

Yes, I like most of the album Silent Alarm. I love the song Little Thoughts!
manekineko
Room at the Top

Postby introphobia » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:48 pm

they really rock!......[:)]

jay
introphobia
Running Up That Hill

Postby mjlauf » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:22 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Natephish[/i]
<br>They make me sleep. I give them a SNOOOOOZE out of 10.
[/quote]

Based on other music I like, I guess I'm supposed to really dig Bloc Party, but I agree, I find the album boring.
mjlauf
Take On Me

Postby Borneojimy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:36 am

You know, I fully expected to not like them, but like I said, I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't been able to get into Interpol, the Killers, or Coldplay, these guys seem to me to have some of the energy that those bands lack IMO.
Borneojimy
The Jet Set

Postby Jeanette » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:22 pm

I like Bloc Party, too! Remixes are pretty awesome, too.
Jeanette
Switchin' to Glide

Postby deethelurker » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:31 pm

I like Bloc Party, sure, but... is it just me, or does their music sound more late '70s postpunk than early '80s New Wave? Bloc Party are one of those bands that gets lumped into the whole "next wave of New Wave" scene, but I don't think they sound at all like they'd have been influenced by anything from the '80s. And sure, one could argue the same thing about Franz Ferdinand (whom I adore), but FF *do* have quite a bit of the whole cheeky '80s New Wave thing (cf. Sparks and Oingo Boingo) going on, and you *can* hear the '80s in their music. Not to mention how very much they remind me of Duran Duran. But Bloc Party remind me more of a punky Ramones-tinged version of Gang Of Four, which again is a great thing, but I don't think I would say they're really a part of this so-called "Next Wave" this board seems devoted to.
deethelurker
Personal Jesus

Postby djcraig » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:46 am

Their song "Helicopter" is getting airplay. I like it.
djcraig
Room at the Top

Postby Mechi » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:39 am

I like Bloc Party but I think Interpol it's better. But BP is more original than many of the bands that are around nowadays... they have their own identity and don't try to emulate any new wave band from the past (No, The Cure or Joy Division... how can you copy them!!! there's no way).
Banquet it's a really good song I think.

Mercedes
Mechi
Room at the Top

Postby Jeanette » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:47 am

I just read a piece on Bolc Party where they insist that thay aren't really influenced by the 80's sound. I'm not sure I buy that...LOL. I do love them, though...
Jeanette
Switchin' to Glide

Postby ghosty » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:50 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Jeanette[/i]
<br>I just read a piece on Bolc Party where they insist that thay aren't really influenced by the 80's sound. I'm not sure I buy that...LOL. I do love them, though...
[/quote]

That's a tend these days especially when it's an obvious influence. I guess the bands are embarassed to admit it. Some go out of their way to throw you off the hunt by insisting that their Joy Division-esque sound is inspired by Neil Young or something. I don't think anyone's fooled.
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby djcraig » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:47 am

<object width="424" height="421"><param name="movie" value="http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb090129bloc_party/embed-video"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb090129bloc_party/embed-video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="424" height="421"></embed></object>

<a href="http://www.djcraig.net/los_angeles_dj">DJ Craig</a>
djcraig
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Next Wave