Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

House Martins - found them 20 years later

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

House Martins - found them 20 years later

Postby Tighelander » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:52 pm

I never heard of the mid-Eighties band when they were active, but in 2006 i found both of their albums at a thrift shop, and oh boy are they good. Recently I looked at their videos, and those are good too, but the last one is a little creepy. I really can't remember hearing them when they were out.
Tighelander
Running Up That Hill

Re: House Martins - found them 20 years later

Postby Qbertqubes » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:07 am

You never heard Happy Hour? Yes they have two albums but with B sides & compilations, they have tons more amazing songs way beyond just two albums. I recommend "I smell Winter"
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby rewind » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:35 am

Fatboy Slim (Norman Cook).
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby fiftypercent » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:00 am

In the UK of course their big hit was "Caravan Of Love", an Isley Brothers cover - done acapella if I recall, Flying Pickets style!

I had the singles "Me & The Farmer" and "Think For A Minute" back in the day.

I posted the Happy Hour reviews here:

http://smashhitssingles.blogspot.com/20 ... discs.html
Life should never feel small
fiftypercent
Personal Jesus

Postby missowong » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:38 pm

In 1986, I was a college student at the University of Hawaii and one of the only ways to hear new music was by listening to KTUH the college radio station. I would also sometimes record "modern music hours" on my boombox. This is how I first heard bands like The Jazz Butcher, Flesh For Lulu, and Expando Brain - bands that couldn't even get on MTV. Well, on one of my tapes there was a snippet of The Housemartins' "Anxious" but the DJ never identified the song or the artist! I really liked it but there was no way to find out what it was. Fast forward to 2002 when I began to videotape "We Are The 80's" off VH1Classic and saw the hilarious video for The Beautiful South's "You Keep It All In". Thank God for chyrons! I then did research into The Beautiful South and found that Paul Heaton and Dave Hemingway had formerly been in The Housemartins and since cheap CDs of both groups were readily available in used record stores, I snapped up as many as I could find and lo and behold, there was "Anxious" on The Housemartins' debut LP London 0 Hull 4! Don't you just love it when a circle completes itself! :D
missowong
Running Up That Hill

Postby Tighelander » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:22 am

I can't remember hearing anything from them. I listened to KROQ back then. Of course, I also didn't remember hearing "Under the Milkyway" by the Church, when it felt like I was hearing it for the first time in 2008, and I think that is one of the best songs EVER.
Tighelander
Running Up That Hill

Return to Obscure 80s Central