Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Mi-Sex "Computer Games"

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Mi-Sex "Computer Games"

Postby User3221 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:46 am

Does anyone have any mp3s by the New Zealand band Mi-Sex? How about their song entitled Computer Games? I have provided some info on the band below. Thanks Tracy

From AMG "Even in the often strange and incestuous history of New Zealand rock, few bands enjoyed a more bizarre career than Misex; led by onetime cabaret singer Steve Gilpin, the group emerged from art-rock beginnings to later reinvent themselves in the style of the new wave. The Misex story begins with Gilpin, who rocketed to national fame in 1972 as the winner of the "New Faces" television talent contest; in the years to follow he became a fixture of the provincial hotel circuit, providing cabaret entertainment to lounge patrons. Taking a much different path were the members of Father Thyme, a hippified prog-rock band comprised of vocalist Steve Grant, guitarist Don Begdegood, keyboardist Alan Moon, bassist Don Martin and drummer Lindsay Brook; a frustrated rocker himself, Gilpin saw them play in 1976, and befriended Moon and Martin, whom he felt had considerable potential.
When Father Thyme split a year later, Moon and Martin contacted Gilpin, and the trio decided to form a band; enlisting guitarist Kevin Stanton and drummer Don Smart, they first christened themselves Fragments of Time, quickly building a fan base thanks in large part to Gilpin's past TV notoriety. Moon soon exited, however, and Smart was then let go as well; with the addition of keyboardist Murray Burns and drummer Richard Hodgkinson came not only a new name — Misex — but also a new image. Clad in tank tops and leather pants, the group immersed themselves completely in the music and style of the new wave, adding songs by the likes of Elvis Costello, Mink DeVille and Graham Parker to their repertoire; however, with their laser-light shows and tight choreography, Misex seemed to belong to the pre-punk era, missing the point of the post-punk era entirely. Still, when EMI came looking for a local new wave band, Misex was the group they selected, and in 1978 they issued their debut single, "Straight Laddie."

The record sank without a trace, and although they maintained a strong fan following, Misex was viewed with derision by their local new wave compatriots; however, a move to Australia proved highly successful, and in 1979 they issued their debut LP, Graffiti Crimes. A single, "Computer Games," topped the Australian charts, and the group made a triumphant return to New Zealand. A second album, 1980's Space Race, was also a hit, but when a planned American tour fell through, Misex's momentum took a serious blow; even at home, audiences were dwindling, and 1981's Shanghaied made little impact. Hodgkinson soon exited, to be replaced by ex-Coup D'Etat drummer Paul Dunningham; a few minor hits followed, including "Castaway" and "Blue Day," but after 1984's Where Do They Go? failed to crack the charts, Misex disbanded. Steve Gilpin died in 1991. "
User3221
Switchin' to Glide

Postby MikeP » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:32 am

Well, I actually featured one of their songs ("Ghosts") for the 'Halloween' Song of the Week back in October. The Collectables 2-on-1 reissue of [i]Computer Games[/i] and [i]Space Race[/i] is well worth purchasing.

"Ghosts" is still on my site at:
htt
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Plata66 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:51 am

Plata66
Take On Me

Postby Leehalfae » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:58 am

Hi,
I got a Mi-sex cd with the "computer games" song.[8D]
Leehalfae
Running Up That Hill

Postby jetboy » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:47 am

I have the Graffiti Crimes CD (which contains 'Computer Games'), and the Space Race CD, as well as a Best of... If you want any CDRs with quality colour copied artwork lemme know.
jetboy
Take On Me

Return to Obscure 80s Central