Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

80's New England Bands

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 am

Another Watertown act who had a local "hit" with "Take Your Spirit Home" (a song which was notable for its total lack of melody), Beat Surrender released the "Foundation" EP (I think in early '86, though it carries a 1985 copyright date), which featured some assistance from members of New Man.

[b]Beat Surrender - Love Comes Down[/b]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ee2k48

Paul Souza - lead vocals
Ted Lyon - guitar
Jackson White - bass
David Matthews - drums
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby UberRad Day » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:25 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by SomebodySomewhere[/i]
<br>The Dark repost...

[b]The Dark - Houses R Falling[/b]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/q6ily1
[/quote]

Thank you very much![:D]
UberRad Day
Running Up That Hill

Postby BostonKev » Tue May 10, 2011 2:46 pm

<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by EtherX[/i]
<br>Thanks for replying DJ. No, I'm not from Connecticut, I'm from Sheffield, UK.[/quote]

So that's where all the Boston records I can't find have ended up. If you want the Buzzarians 45, you better open up your wallet and be prepared to empty it, because so does everyone else. You can't even find that record in Boston anymore. I just remembered that it's on one of those hyped2death things, so it's still in print and can be yours for about 10 bucks.

"What Will You Do" also goes for some change. Not as much, but I think it fetches 50 bucks give or take. Apparently, there are a lot of KBD collectors out there with great jobs but not so great hearing.

[/quote]

First post.. Here goes.. I have a 27-track CD with the Buzzarians single + 25 live tracks that I am going to upload as soon as I find the CD sleeve I had for it.
BostonKev
Running Up That Hill

Postby gauze » Fri May 13, 2011 10:42 am

Hey Rhode Island people,
does anyone remember a band called Anxious Jerks from Newport?
Some German sent me some mp3s of demos from 78-79 and there seems to be no info on this band pretty much. If anyone has any stories please share. I'd have to dig up the mp3s if anyone wanted a post.

Also I have a lot of the records mentioned in this thread, I don't think I saw the Delinquents-I wanna Be the Vice President/It's Down to You 45 and Kamerad/I Wanna take Your Picture 45s mentioned in here.
gauze
Running Up That Hill

Postby ray-a » Mon May 16, 2011 11:37 pm

I have found virtually no info on a group called Chapter 12 (who I believe are Boston-based) and their song "I Don't Know How to Act". WMBR played it last year according to their archive listings. I have most of the song on a tape but would like to find a complete version and more about the group if anyone knows. I didn't find anything in the great postings under this topic (which I just discovered).

For Lou Miami & Kozmetix fans I have posted as a slideshow on YouTube all but the first 25 seconds or so of their "Boy Detective" which I understand was never actually released and was played on Boston stations from a demo tape. My excerpt was taped off of the radio. If anyone has the complete song as an mp3, I'd love to have a copy. My link is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrKqiONVw8

I also put up a slideshow for Tami-itis by the Sex Execs at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K71bp9C7JM
ray-a
Running Up That Hill

Postby ray-a » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:09 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by ray-a[/i]
<br>I have found virtually no info on a group called Chapter 12 (who I believe are Boston-based) and their song "I Don't Know How to Act". WMBR played it last year according to their archive listings. I have most of the song on a tape but would like to find a complete version and more about the group if anyone knows. I didn't find anything in the great postings under this topic (which I just discovered).

For Lou Miami & Kozmetix fans I have posted as a slideshow on YouTube all but the first 25 seconds or so of their "Boy Detective" which I understand was never actually released and was played on Boston stations from a demo tape. My excerpt was taped off of the radio. If anyone has the complete song as an mp3, I'd love to have a copy. My link is:

[/quote] I managed to find two versions of Chapter 12's "I Don't Know How to Act" on the newsgroup alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.indie along with other songs played on WMBR's The Late Riser's Club. I would still like to find info on this group, the song and even pics. Thanks.
ray-a
Running Up That Hill

Postby ray-a » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:02 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by ray-a[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by ray-a[/i]
<br>I have found virtually no info on a group called Chapter 12 (who I believe are Boston-based) and their song "I Don't Know How to Act". WMBR played it last year according to their archive listings. I have most of the song on a tape but would like to find a complete version and more about the group if anyone knows. I didn't find anything in the great postings under this topic (which I just discovered).

[/quote] I managed to find two versions of Chapter 12's "I Don't Know How to Act" on the newsgroup alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.indie along with other songs played on WMBR's The Late Riser's Club. I would still like to find info on this group, the song and even pics. Thanks.

[/quote]

Actually there is only one version from the newsgroup. I have posted it now with lyrics on YouTube at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoUtnrfgk_s
in case it might jog someone's memory.
ray-a
Running Up That Hill

Postby fargo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:20 am

Re-Up Please....... Dead Link
fargo
Running Up That Hill

Postby ray-a » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:58 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by fargo[/i]
<br>Re-Up Please....... Dead Link
[/quote]

Which link are you referring to? All the YouTube links in my 7-23-11 post work. I just tried them.
ray-a
Running Up That Hill

Postby The VINNY Man » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:13 am

Any way I can get a copy of Rock and Roll Housewife and the flip sid as a MP2 or WAV file?

[quote][i]Originally posted by FrancoB[/i]
<br>I have both the Vinny "Rock and Roll Housewife" b/w "If I Had My Way" and The "Pastiche Tense" songs. How do I get them to you ??

<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by tileboy[/i]
<br>Somebody thanks again for The Vinny band. I live on the No. Shore and saw Vinny many times. "Talk Show" by Pastiche is an old favorite too.[/quote]

Now if only somebody could help me find the "Rock n Roll Housewife" single. Pastiche's "Pastiche Tense" cassette, too, while we're at it (since it doesn't look like they're in any rush to put their back catalogue on CD). Guess I should feel privileged to even have "The Ravioli" 45 since there isn't a single one for sale on either musicstack or gemm. Speaking of things you can't find on musicstack or gemm...
[/quote]
[/quote]

Too Old To Rock and Roll, but just too Young to really let go. 1978
The VINNY Man
Running Up That Hill

Postby FrancoB » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:15 am

Ralph;

I sent you an E-mail ...... I'll get the MP3's off to you.

Frank Bolla

[quote][i]Originally posted by The VINNY Man[/i]
<br>Any way I can get a copy of Rock and Roll Housewife and the flip sid as a MP2 or WAV file?

[quote][i]Originally posted by FrancoB[/i]
<br>I have both the Vinny "Rock and Roll Housewife" b/w "If I Had My Way" and The "Pastiche Tense" songs. How do I get them to you ??

<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by tileboy[/i]
<br>Somebody thanks again for The Vinny band. I live on the No. Shore and saw Vinny many times. "Talk Show" by Pastiche is an old favorite too.[/quote]

Now if only somebody could help me find the "Rock n Roll Housewife" single. Pastiche's "Pastiche Tense" cassette, too, while we're at it (since it doesn't look like they're in any rush to put their back catalogue on CD). Guess I should feel privileged to even have "The Ravioli" 45 since there isn't a single one for sale on either musicstack or gemm. Speaking of things you can't find on musicstack or gemm...
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
FrancoB
Running Up That Hill

Postby The VINNY Man » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

I just posted the Two VINNY BAND CD's for sale at the following site.
www.gafmusic.com

The RAVIOLI
1978-1982 *Includes two LIVE tracks from the Paradise in Boston. One from 1978 and the other from 1979

OLAS DE SEXO
1983-1984 *Includes FOUR songs that never made it to vinyl.

*I will be adding ROCK and ROLL Housewife to the Early VINNY Cd (The Ravioli) as soon as I get the MP3 files...Meanwhile check it out complete with song samples.

www.gafmusic.com

The VINNY Man
Running Up That Hill

Postby esspee » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:18 pm

<br>I have no idea who these guys were, when their record came out, or even what some of their real names are, but here's one side of a 7" by Cambridge quintet Dutch Courage. The single (which I think I got in a thrift store in the late '80s because I liked the picture sleeve art) was released by Varulven and has no date -- or even a copyright. So feel free to steal it! No designated "A" and "B" sides but "Imagine My Surprise" is listed on top of the PS, so I imagine that one was meant to be the "A" side. It's a fucking trainwreck. However, the other side, "Let's Go to the Movies," is phenomenal power pop in the Raspberries vein. The tracks were written and produced by Tim Horrigan and Paul G. O'Malley. Perhaps those are the real names of the guys using obvious pseudonyms. Or not!

[b]Dutch Courage - Let's Go to the Movies[/b]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ji9byd

Dutch Courage
Biff Hooper - vocals
Buck Young - keyboards, vocals
Rex Amour - guitar
Randy Swain - bass, vocals
Dean "Dino" Glines - percussion, vocals
[/quote]

"Randy Swain" was someone I worked with at Strawberries. I saw the Duthmen play several times at Cantones and a few other spots. The single was not the best representation of their music. I had, may still have somewhere, a cassette of their somgs. Sadly they never caught on and broke up not long after the single was released. The link originally posted no longer works. Any chance of re-posting it? Thanks.
esspee
Running Up That Hill

Postby Jroug » Sat May 26, 2012 11:46 pm

<br>The Modern Look hailed from Hartford, CT. I don't know anything about them, but the picture sleeve of their 7" single "Romance Minus One" (Revolving, 1981) convinced me to buy it. That and the hilarious title of the B-side, "Milk from a Contented Cow." The music wasn't as great as the song titles or the PS, but it's serviceable.

[b]The Modern Look - Romance Minus One[/b]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fjhbro

[b]The Modern Look - Milk from a Contented Cow[/b]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ffpyu

The Modern Look
Wayne Lagasse - lead vocals, guitar
Morrie McCarthy - guitar
Lynne Maiocco - bass, vocals
Bob Aucoin - drums, vocals
[/quote]

I grew up in Boston & moved to CT in 78 - great to see all these posts. Met the band when I was a counter jockey at Capitol Records in Hartford (during it's brief existence, easily the best record store in the state - not saying much, but a great store) ). The Modern Look single was on Revolving Records, owned by one of Capitol's partners). They were really good, much better than the single would have you believe - the production is even thinner than I was then. That said, it was one of the first local singles by a "new wave" band and it sort of opened the floodgates.

They were originally called the Look (but had to change it as a Brit band had the same name) - a 5-piece with Dave Shadowfax on keyboards (he gave me his old ID after legally changing his name so I could get into shows at Toads & Stage West - thanks Dave). When Dave left they dropped the keyboards and their sound got crunchier. The band got really popular in CT, although they rarely played out of state.

Morrie, their guitar player, was a fan of Thunders and 60's garage rock who'd played in local CT mainstream acts like Backslider. His guitar sound combined with Wayne's great Elvis Costello / Joe Jackson / XTC hooky songwriting is what set them apart. It didn't hurt that the other two were accomplished musicians (and Lynne was a very cute bass player)!

Wayne released a full-length Modern Look tape "To Whom It May Concern" after they broke up (I have a copy here somewhere) with a lot of the better known songs from their set and more overly-mannered studio stuff that again fail to capture the rockier aspects of their sound. The live stuff on the tape is more representative.

I really loved them - and played the record a lot on my WRTC radio show. There was an interview with them in my fanzine (Decadus) and I designed the sleeve - thanks for the compliment! It was my first job on the label side of the music business. I printed the sleeves at my high school in print shop on an old AB Dick press while no one was looking. My band Crawling Smash (Morrie was also a member) used to open for them and every once in a while I'd jump on stage during their set and sing the Dirty Looks song "Let Go" with Wayne.

The band played lots of shows at oddball CT venues that seemingly opened and closed in a matter of months or on New Wave Nights at more established clubs. I saw them at Cellblock 13, Toads, some pits on the Berlin Turnpike and Park Street and of course the legendary Lit Club (where many local bands were lucky to play with National acts thanks to Rick Banz), as well as many one-off gigs at VFW Halls,etc...

Wayne legally changed his name to R Andrew Exile and released at least one solo tape under this name. He was living in LA, but is now back in Hartford. Morrie owned Rhymes Records in New Haven and played in other bands like the Not Quite. He also produced and did the cover for the first Crystalized Movements album by Wayne Rogers (owner of Twisted Village). Morrie is no longer playing and lives in Florida. I left CT before they called it quits - seems like none of us could wait to get the hell out.

Although CT was mostly boring musically at that time (and remains boring in general from what I see), the Molos were a bright spot along with some of the other acts (reducers, etc). It's too bad they never got signed & made a record that really captured what they were like live.

Keep up the great work!
Jroug
Running Up That Hill

Postby amitchman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:13 am

<br>I promised some people here New Man tracks 3 years ago and in my always timely fashion I just did them today. Never say I'm not a get-right-on-it kinda guy....
[/quote]

Any chance of re-posting these tracks, would love to have them!! Thank you in advance!
amitchman
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central