Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Space Monkey needs your help!

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Space Monkey needs your help!

Postby Dominik500 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:27 am

Hey everyone,

I've been in contact with Paul Goodchild aka Space Monkey via Facebook. He's a great guy, as friendly as he is talented. He's been trying to figure out who controls the copyright and what label might have the masters for his 1985 album "On The Beam." I've been trying, with no avail, to figure this out for him. Does anyone have any info? Or maybe knows someone at either MCA or Innervision (both labels don't exist anymore)... I'd really appreciate your help and I know he would too.

You can friend him/drop him a line on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/paul.goodchildspacemonkey

You can check out his website here (lotsa great pictures & stories):
http://www.ispacemonkey.com/

And check out his new music as well as some rarities and SM classics on his soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/paul-goodchild-spacemonkey

Paul is hoping to release On The Beam on CD and/or digitally with bonus tracks, but he wants it to sound great, so he needs the masters. He also wants it to be legal, which is why he's trying to track down the copyright. Tracking down the copyright is proving difficult, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Dominik
"You say I've got my father's aching hips, I've got ulcers too.
You've got your mother's looks, but she's 45, not 22." The Quarks - "Mechanical" (1981 Magnet Records)
Dominik500
Personal Jesus

Re: Space Monkey needs your help!

Postby rewind » Fri May 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Universal Music Group probably controls the masters now (MCA in the US was absorbed by Universal; in the UK, Innervision went through Virgin/EMI which is now also part of Universal.)

His songs were published by Universal Music/MGB Songs. In the U.S., the phone number is (310) 235-4700.

This info of course doesn't guarrantee anything, but maybe it's a start.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Dominik500 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks for the tip! I've put a call in.

Dominik
You've got your mother's looks, but she's 45, not 22." The Quarks - "Mechanical" (1981 Magnet Records)
Dominik500
Personal Jesus

Postby BigManRestless » Tue May 17, 2016 3:58 am

Did anything ever come of this? I'd love to see it out CD.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby musfan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:15 am

I'd love this as well, if it ever comes to pass.
musfan
Personal Jesus

Postby Dominik500 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Okay, this is what I can tell you...

I've been working closely with Paul Goodchild (Space Monkey) to get this album out on CD. We have been able to get the rights to his music back, unfortunately we were unable to track down the masters. We've spent a lot of time (and money) remastering the tracks so they sound great, AND Paul has given us 17 UNRELEASED STUDIO RECORDINGS from 1982. That's right, we have an entire CD of unreleased (and awesome) Space Monkey music! The set is going to be three discs, and will include all the remixes and will come with an introduction from Mr. Monkey himself!! Very shortly we'll have a PledgeMusic page up for the set, and we'll be taking pre-orders so that we can pay for pressing this.

We have a track listing finalized, and we will be unveiling that shortly on the Pledge page.

Just in case there are any cynics out there, I'd like to stress that I'm not making ANY money off of this. I'm only doing it because Paul Goodchild is a wonderful guy, and because, personally, I want a copy of On The Beam on cd. I will say that the additional tracks are GREAT quality and just plain wonderful!

More info when the Pledge Page is up!

Dominik
Dominik500
Personal Jesus

Postby crichert » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:05 pm

That sounds phenomenally awesome!! Thanks Dominik!! :mrgreen:

Dominik500 wrote:Okay, this is what I can tell you...

I've been working closely with Paul Goodchild (Space Monkey) to get this album out on CD. We have been able to get the rights to his music back, unfortunately we were unable to track down the masters. We've spent a lot of time (and money) remastering the tracks so they sound great, AND Paul has given us 17 UNRELEASED STUDIO RECORDINGS from 1982. That's right, we have an entire CD of unreleased (and awesome) Space Monkey music! The set is going to be three discs, and will include all the remixes and will come with an introduction from Mr. Monkey himself!! Very shortly we'll have a PledgeMusic page up for the set, and we'll be taking pre-orders so that we can pay for pressing this.

We have a track listing finalized, and we will be unveiling that shortly on the Pledge page.

Just in case there are any cynics out there, I'd like to stress that I'm not making ANY money off of this. I'm only doing it because Paul Goodchild is a wonderful guy, and because, personally, I want a copy of On The Beam on cd. I will say that the additional tracks are GREAT quality and just plain wonderful!

More info when the Pledge Page is up!

Dominik
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby musfan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:13 am

Thanks for your hard work on this Dominik! I'm glad that it's available as a physical copy, and that you're posting a link when available; I don't check the pledge pages often, and sometimes I'll find of a release too late.
musfan
Personal Jesus

Postby shanetrex » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:04 am

I seem to remember, in the mid 90s, that Copyright Ownership laws were changed to favor songwriters/artists. Something like, if your work was out of print for 10 years, copyright reverted to the songwriter(s).

I remember something about the Pixies now owning their back catalog since Elektra (and 4AD) repressed their back catalog before 1998 and then let it all go out of print, leading to the band obtaining everything, and releasing their 'Minotaur' Box Sex in 1999 on the 'Artist In Residence' Label.

I tried searching for information, but it's Sunday morning, and can't get my brain to formulate an accurate search string for results regarding the issue.
shanetrex
Running Up That Hill

Postby Sean » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Paul is a super cool guy. I know that Dom has a put a lot of effort into this to help Paul out. I can't wait for this release as it's one of the New Wave albums that has needed a cd release for years. Counting down the days til I have that little puppy in my hands.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby thunderbird2 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:48 am

Hey Dominik, we havent spoken in a long time , i was the person who sent you the hoorah boys hoorah track . This is really great news that this is coming out "come with me" 12" was a brilliant track and have been waiting for this album to be re-released for ages ( had given up hope)

are the 82 tracks of similar style or did they have a differrent sound then
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby Qbertqubes » Thu May 04, 2017 6:25 am

tell me when to pledge & I am in! Love this album
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby Dominik500 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:51 pm

The Pledge page will be up later this week! The early 1981/1982 stuff sounds GREAT. It's dancey new wave, akin to Duran Duran's first album. The quality is fantastic. Paul's voice is unmistakable. There are also a couple of post On The Beam demos from 1987 that sounds like Dead Or Alive. There are a ton of lost classics on the bonus disc. There's gonna be 45 tracks over 3 discs. There's something like 18 original unreleased tracks, and a handful of unreleased remixes. We've been working hard and I think we've got just about everything from 1981-1987. I will be posting it EVERYWHERE as soon as the page is ready.

Dominik
Dominik500
Personal Jesus

Postby fiftypercent » Mon May 08, 2017 10:15 am

Good job Dominik. You can count on my support. I'm also looking to start a reissue record label pretty soon. May have to draw on your experience here.
Life should never feel small
fiftypercent
Personal Jesus

Postby thunderbird2 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:00 am

Hey Dominik , Any news ? I am hoping this project has not stalled , really looking forward to this
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central