Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

REQ: Queen - Radio Ga-Ga

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: REQ: Queen - Radio Ga-Ga

Postby Magnum-Truth » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Passing_Stranger wrote:I know it's a strange request, but - does anybody have a 7" version of this song which lasts 4:30 or so? I searched anywhere and strangely only can find longer versions from the LP and a 12". Maybe somebody has it and willing to share?

Queen - Radio Ga Ga (US Single Edit) - (Short Version)

http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/76045390/file.html

Pass = US Single Edit

This one is really hard to find from Japan. Around $800.00 :o
http://www.discogs.com/Queen-Radio-Ga-G ... se/5652517
http://www.musicpriceguide.com/3014/QUE ... -1125.html
Magnum-Truth
Personal Jesus

Postby Gary Russell » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Thank you!!
Gary Russell
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Magnum-Truth, please recieve my big-hearted SPASIBO for this one! You really did a nice job unearthing this classic!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Zara-Thustra » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:06 am

Thank you very much for this rare Version from the song Magnum-Truth
Zara-Thustra
Personal Jesus

Postby Magnum-Truth » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:26 pm

@ Zara-Thustra - Passing Stranger & Gary Russell

Your welcome (times) two and пожалуйста (times) one.

Odd, how this "short USA version" has never made it's way on to some sort of popular various artist compilation. You would think after all these years it would be on (something) that specializes in loading up an LP or CD with a bunch of short versions and marketing it . .... with a title .... {like} .... "40 Explosive Hits" ...... that you usually see in department stores or advertised late at night on Image
Magnum-Truth
Personal Jesus

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:14 am

I notice that a certain brand of "long-winded" 80s hits are usually presented in their full versions for some reason - like Styx's "Mr. Roboto" or Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone" or this one. Maybe it's the record companies that push album versions? By why exactly? Preservation of artistic integrity - or simply a wish to fill up the space on CD? :D

Still, even with the real 80s bands like A Flock of Seagulls it's hard to get the 7" edits/mixes...
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby PKPN » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Pure laziness. These companies do not know what they are doing. There has been so much turnover in the intervening decades, no one except us obsessive collectors even realize that the 7"/radio versions were different, were hits, or even exist at all. They're in the business of separating you from your wallet, nothing more. The compilations will sell themselves by what titles they contain, not by whether they are 7" edits or LP versions. Sadly.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby Bellenger1981 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:17 pm

PKPN wrote:Pure laziness. These companies do not know what they are doing. There has been so much turnover in the intervening decades, no one except us obsessive collectors even realize that the 7"/radio versions were different, were hits, or even exist at all. They're in the business of separating you from your wallet, nothing more. The compilations will sell themselves by what titles they contain, not by whether they are 7" edits or LP versions. Sadly.

Exactly. I was going to explain, but you nailed it. That is why we get so many album versions. Many of those 7" versions are lost forever.
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby elviscaprice » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:34 pm

Bellenger1981 wrote:
PKPN wrote:Pure laziness. These companies do not know what they are doing. There has been so much turnover in the intervening decades, no one except us obsessive collectors even realize that the 7"/radio versions were different, were hits, or even exist at all. They're in the business of separating you from your wallet, nothing more. The compilations will sell themselves by what titles they contain, not by whether they are 7" edits or LP versions. Sadly.

Exactly. I was going to explain, but you nailed it. That is why we get so many album versions. Many of those 7" versions are lost forever.

There is another way to look at this issue. The fact is that many times the 7" edits are just that, edits from the original tracks, there is nothing special about them, some engineer did them to cut back on radio time. They can be done again. In this case the 7" edit wasn't even used for the promo video. Big deal, there is nothing holy about it, if it's such a big deal, make your own.

8) Elvis
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby Bellenger1981 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:47 pm

elviscaprice wrote:
Bellenger1981 wrote:

There is another way to look at this issue. The fact is that many times the 7" edits are just that, edits from the original tracks, there is nothing special about them, some engineer did them to cut back on radio time. They can be done again. In this case the 7" edit wasn't even used for the promo video. Big deal, there is nothing holy about it, if it's such a big deal, make your own.

8) Elvis

Actually, Elvis, I am completely aware of making my own 7" edits from the original album versions. I do it all the time. I should have clarified, and I imagine that PKPN is thinking the same. I am mostly referring to 7" versions or mixes in which the song features a different production or mix. Let's take two of Madonna's biggest hits as examples: "Like a Prayer" and "Express Yourself". The 7" versions are different mixes of the songs which were/are played on the radio. To this day, they have not appeared on a commercially available CD. I consider the 7" mixes to be the best versions of those songs. As far as I'm concerned, Warner Bros. is oblivious to their existence. This is a prime example of what I am talking about. She also has a number of 7" edits from the album versions ("Holiday" being an example), and I have re-created them. So, sorry, it is actually a big deal, at least for someone who cares about the music that they grew up hearing on the radio or the 7" record which featured a different mix. :roll:
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Bellenger1981 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:50 pm

And Magnum, thank you for sharing the vinyl transfer of the 7" edit of "Radio Ga Ga". I still intend to re-create it from the album version, if possible. :)
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby elviscaprice » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:57 pm

Here ya Bellenger. Sorry, I wasn't picking on you per say. Just in general, shouldn't have quoted you. Different mixes on 7", yeah that's a bigger deal.

8) Elvis
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby Neil Kelly » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Elvis... Totally disagree with you btw!
Magnum-truth... is this recreated or sourced from that vinyl? Do you have the other version to share?
Bellenger1981... Is that true no 7" of Like a prayer or Express yourself on CD to date? Are you referring to UK edits? I know this was true of Holiday and many early UK 7" singles of Madonna's which were listed as (Edit) on the vinyl. Such a disgrace i'm always saying this about Madonna. It's crazyness. Gambler such a rarity don't think the 12" version appears on CD to date. Only available on CD on the soundtrack and La isla bonita (Japenese Maxi CD). Immaculate was a shambles as was GHV2 (no GHV1) and Celebration... Don't get me started on the single or double editions!
Neil Kelly
The Jet Set

Postby Bellenger1981 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:05 pm

Neil Kelly wrote:Elvis... Totally disagree with you btw!
Bellenger1981... Is that true no 7" of Like a prayer or Express yourself on CD to date? Are you referring to UK edits? I know this was true of Holiday and many early UK 7" singles of Madonna's which were listed as (Edit) on the vinyl. Such a disgrace i'm always saying this about Madonna. It's crazyness. Gambler such a rarity don't think the 12" version appears on CD to date. Only available on CD on the soundtrack and La isla bonita (Japenese Maxi CD). Immaculate was a shambles as was GHV2 (no GHV1) and Celebration... Don't get me started on the single or double editions!

"Like a Prayer [7" Version w/Fade]" (5:08) appears on the European 3" mini CD single, released in 1989. "Like a Prayer [7" Version No Fade]" (5:22) appears on the Japan 3" mini CD single, released in 1989. In the U.S., "Like a Prayer [7" Version w/Fade]" (5:08) only appeared on the U.S. promo CD maxi-single. In other words, it has never been made commercially available on CD in the U.S. some 25+ years later. I believe, too, that the 7" versions have not appeared on CD again anywhere since 1989. In other words, the 7" versions for this classic song are not very easy to find on CD. That is a shame considering that it is a classic and the version which many radio stations play.

"Express Yourself [7" Remix]" (4:36) has only appeared on CD on the U.S. promo CD maxi-single, released in 1989. It has never been made commercially available on CD. The 7" Remix was the version that I grew up hearing on the radio and often still hear today.

"Borderline [7" Remix]" (4:00) has never appeared on CD in the U.S. either. I think that most radio stations play that stupid Q-Sound Mix from "The Immaculate Collection" CD. Regardless, prior to 1990, the 7" Remix was the version that radio stations played. "Holiday [7" Edit]" (4:07), "Lucky Star [7" Edit]" (3:51), "Open Your Heart [7" Remix]" (3:59), and "Gambler [Extended Dance Mix]" (5:37) have never appeared on CD officially anywhere. Of course, I always thought that the "Holiday" edit was a bit sloppy, and the "Lucky Star" edit is even worse. (Then again, Warner proved later on that slipshod edits would continue throughout her career ... "Ray of Light [Radio Edit]", "Nothing Fails [Radio Edit]" and "Hollywood [Radio Edit]" are just a few examples.) However, I have remedied some of those issues by re-creating my own edits, fixing the poor cuts and making them coherent. Madonna's compilations have been a mess. I agree about "GHV2" when there was no "GHV1". "TIC2" ("The Immaculate Collection 2") would have been a more appropriate title. Or, how about "Greatest Hits 92 - 01", for example. The "Celebration" compilation could have fixed this issue by including these rare single mixes, but we got album versions, slipshod new edits, and wrong mixes instead. What a mess for an artist of her status.
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Neil Kelly » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:16 am

Thanks for that. Agree with you 100%. I knew about the re-edits on Celebration!
Neil Kelly
The Jet Set

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central