Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: Q-Feel (FLAC)

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

SHARE: Q-Feel (FLAC)

Postby crichert » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi all:

Excited to share this with all of my fellow NWO peeps! Way back in 1983, Q-Feel released their only album - which I owned on vinyl and played so many times I wore it down. In 1989, Jive Records issued the album on CD for the first time, and I was stoked to finally own a clean copy of the album; however, whoever mastered the CD did a horrendous job, and to this day, this CD is the worst sounding CD in my entire collection. It sounds like the engineer turned on Dolby noise reduction to the MAX and compressed the entire thing! It sounds flat and lifeless.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I finally decided to dive back into the vinyl market and picked up a Professional Numark DJ turntable and start ripping my collection, as well as purchasing some vinyl I've been trying to find for years. I was able to track down an absolutely MINT copy of the Q-Feel album, and sure enough - the difference in quality between my LP rip and CD rip is night and day. The LP has amazing depth and warmth, and every track is just a pleasure to listen to. I used SoundForge to manually remove any little pops and ticks I could find, but I left the recording as natural as possible, with no digital enhancements, just a straight transfer from my LP through my PC, saving the files in FLAC format so that each track is lossless.

This album ranks as one of my top 20 from the 80's! Every track is awesome, but my favs would have to be: Heroes Never Die, Cross Talk, New Science and of course their only commercial hit, "Dancing In Heaven (Orbital Be-Bop)", which ended #75 the Billboard Hot 100, back in 1989.

So here's a link to the FLAC version of my LP rip:
https://mega.nz/#!vMsTGYzL!5DxhAS3tnL_a ... GPbgEuoAm4

And so you can compare for yourself, here's a link to the FLAC RIP of my (long out of print) 1989 CD:
https://mega.nz/#!iU1SDJiQ!uEcouImDODvD ... 6AJl2rxPCs

I've been hoping for years that someone like Cherry Red Records would re-master this album, but it doesn't look like that day will ever come. So, hopefully you enjoy LP rip as much as I do until that day comes.

Here's some Q-Feel reference material:

Discogs:
http://www.discogs.com/Q-Feel-Q-Feel/master/98957

YouTube:
Heroes Never Die (HQ):

Dancing In Heaven - Live 1982:
crichert
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: Q-Feel (FLAC)

Postby AJWAVE » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Thanks crichert!
Your rip sounds much better than my cd rip . Cross talk starts with a "fade in" effect on the cd and clocks 3:40
regards
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby crichert » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:02 pm

You're welcome AJWAVE!!

True, the CD has a much longer fade in, about an extra 4 seconds at the front, and then another 6 seconds at the end.

AJWAVE wrote:Thanks crichert!
Your rip sounds much better than my cd rip . Cross talk starts with a "fade in" effect on the cd and clocks 3:40
regards
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby Bellenger1981 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:14 pm

Thank you!!!
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Frank_Chickens » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks for sharing this crichert. :)

The live video is from the qualifying heats of Eurovision 1982 (it wasn't chosen as our song) and Q-Feel didn't chart over here. Shame really as 'Dancing in Heaven' deserved to do something in its home country.
--

"A cynic is what a optimist calls a realist"
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Postby synthwavefan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks crichert! The LP is a noticeable improvement to whoever did a lazy CD mastering.
synthwavefan
Take On Me

Postby elviscaprice » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:26 pm

NIce lossless work. Thanks

8) Elvis
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby the_moth » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:46 am

What a great Halloween surprise, thank you crichert! :)
This superb album really deserves the vinyl quality that you preserved so well!
the_moth
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:35 am

Thank you very much, you did a great job! Those guys were really influenced by Ultravox so they're close to my heart - and it's nice to hear the LP just how it was intended to sound.
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby crichert » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:06 pm

You're welcome ... happy to know that everyone is enjoying the LP. Many more to come in the near future. :mrgreen:
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby musfan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:35 am

Thank you, absolutely right - the CD didn't carry much weight behind it.
musfan
Personal Jesus

Return to Obscure 80s Central