Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: Gary Numan's side works

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

SHARE: Gary Numan's side works

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:51 am

So, as I promised to Sundayguy and a couple of other great guys, here's my self-made compilation of Gary Numan's works outside of his own solo stuff - as a producer, musician, vocalist. Strange thing is, I'm not a fan of most of his music (esp. after 1982), but find that his works for other artists are often much more interesting. Completely subjective, of course. Anyway, I was intrigued by his outside endeavours so tried to find everything he's ever done - and I'm nearly there, except for a couple of stray things. So I present here the first such compilation spanning years 1978-1995. I tried to source the tracks from original releases (well, their MP3 copies :) ), not modern brickwalled "remasters", so the sound may vary here and there, but this compilation is of course done purely for educational purposes so the sound shouldn't be an issue. And great big thanks to all the original uploaders of this stuff.

I tried to bypass the obvious choices in preference of lesser-known (but often as good, if not better) stuff. I also applied a "one song per artist" rule. I don't think this one will bring many revelations (if any) to hardcore fans, but casual listeners, I hope, may be pleasantly surprised. I certainly had lots of fun with this project.

Here's the link: https://mega.nz/#!v5Ug3azS!6XDx9bOxogE8 ... HfQc7G4Fuc

MP3 320 kbps, 163 Mb
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: Gary Numan's side works

Postby xymox970 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:26 am

This is excellent stuff, indeed.

Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

Please correct me if I`m wrong, but some of Numan`s tracks exclusive to his 12"s (extended versions) like "We Take Mystery To Bed" , "Music For Chameleons" , "My Dying Machine" , "Berserker" never appeared on any official remaster thusfar, so it would be great to find them here.....
xymox970
The Jet Set

Postby Sundayguy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:22 pm

xymox970,

MOST of the 12" versions have been released on one CD or other. Some only on compilations. With the earlier Beggar's Banquet material I think
they just used the same masters, so you may be onto something about remastered versions.
After the BB years most of the Numa label singles were released by Numan on a set of mini/short CDs the series called Babylon. (1 - 7)
Though I don't know of any remastered CD that contains a majority of those mixes etc I think they can all be had, by piecing
together from various other CDs.

Passing_Stranger. Thanks for the compilation. It's still downloading, as I write, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you've compiled.
I'll be sure to give a listen as soon as it's downloaded. Thanks again! 8)
Last edited by Sundayguy on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby crichert » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:12 pm

Very nice! Thank you for all the effort!! :D
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks for your interest, guys! My pleasure!

Concerning the Numan 12" mixes, I remember being strongly advised against that Babylon series as it features tracks being digitized the wrong way resulting in a differing speeds and other artefacts. I had a quick search for sources and came up with this list featuring the correct versions, if anybody's interested:

Music for Chameleons 6.54 [extended]
included on the 2002 compilation 2CD 'EXPOSURE - THE BEST OF GARY NUMAN 1977-2002'

We Take Mystery (To Bed) 7.42 [extended]
included on the 1992 CD 'Document Series Presents Gary Numan' + 1990 CD Asylum 2

White Boys and Heroes (US extended version) 8.20
?

Berserker (Extended) 6.40
included on Berserker (Extended) (CD 1991), Isolate: The Numa Years (CD 1992), My Dying Machine (CD 1996), Down In The Park - The Alternative Anthology (2CD 1999)

My Dying Machine (Extended) 9.16
included on Berserker (Extended), Isolate: The Numa Years, My Dying Machine

Change Your Mind (Extended Version) 8.24
available on a Canadian various artists CD from 1992 "HARDEST HITS 2", as an extra track on the CD edition of Bill Sharpe - Famous People [1985]

Your Fascination (Extended) 5.10
included on The Fury (Extended) (CD 1996)

Call out the Dogs (Extended) 6.42
included on Isolate: The Numa Years, The Fury (Extended)

Miracles (Extended) 4.18
included on The Fury (Extended)

I Can't Stop (Extended Mix) 6.58
?

I Can't Stop (club mix) 6.32
included as an extra track on the US 1999 CD edition of STRANGE CHARM

New Thing from London Town (Extended) 8.00
included as an extra track on the US 1999 edition of STRANGE CHARM

I Still Remember (RSPCA Extended Version) 5.20
included as an extra track on the US 1999 CD edition of THE FURY

Cars ('E' Reg Extended Model) 6.12
included on the UK 2-CD The Pleasure Principle/Warriors (1993)

Radio Heart (Extended Mix) 6.00
included on the 1999 CD NICHOLSON/NUMAN 1987-1994, Spanish various artists CD from 1997 "Remember"

London Times (Extended) 5.30
included on the 1999 CD NICHOLSON/NUMAN 1987-1994

All Across the Nation (Extended Remix) 5.31
included on the 1999 CD NICHOLSON/NUMAN 1987-1994, Spanish various artists CD from 1994 "Maxi Pop"

No More Lies (Extended Mix) 7.46
included as an extra track on the SHARPE + NUMAN: AUTOMATIC 1989 CD

I'm on Automatic (12" Mix) 7.37
included as an extra track on the SHARPE + NUMAN: AUTOMATIC 1989 CD

My World Storm (US Promo Mix) 5.44
included as an extra track on the OUTLAND 1999 reissue CD

Emotion (CD Mix) 8.00
included on 'ISOLATE - THE NUMAN YEARS'

The Skin Game (Lycra mix) 7.41
included on the 1993 CD MACHINE + SOUL (EXTENDED)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Sundayguy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Passing_Stranger,

Sounds like you've got that pretty much down.

The "Full Length" version of Warriors and the Sister Surprise single (Not extended) were included on the recent Warriors re-release CD.

We Take Mystery isn't available on ANY CD I know about, I have a very good rip I did myself, of my own vinyl 12"

and the same with the "Extended" version of I Can't Stop. There were so many alternate releases of that song/single it's hard to keep up.
There was the album version, 12" extended, 10" mix, a "Picture Mix" from a picture disc, I think they pushed that song too far, personally.
The Club Mix, I think is the 10" mix, but not 100% on that.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9o2j3 ... NuSngl.rar <--- link to the above singles, in Wav

We Take Mystery is my rip, I Can't Stop Extended and Picture mixes aren't mine, but I cleaned them up some.
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:20 am

Sundayguy wrote:I Can't Stop. There were so many alternate releases of that song/single it's hard to keep up.
There was the album version, 12" extended, 10" mix, a "Picture Mix" from a picture disc, I think they pushed that song too far, personally.

Still, it gave Gary his rare Top-30 hit - so the effort justified itself :D And anyway that was a common practice in the UK by then. But I admit it's tiring trying to track down all those mixes/edits/versions - especially if you're not that fond of a song to start with...

Anyway, big thanks for your shares - you've amassed a vast collection of Numan-related things, as I understand. Much appreciated.

The second volume of this series is on its way - hopefull, soon, as a couple of things are really tricky to track down.
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Wed May 03, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Sundayguy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:06 am

Passing_Stranger,

You're welcome, and I hope the We Take Mystery 12" was something you were after to add to your collection.
Do you have the unreleased "alternate" mix of that? It's as if they were going to release a 7" based on that 12" remix.
If that was the plan, it never made it to vinyl. Also from '82/I Assassin there was an unreleased 7" mix of War Songs,
apparently also intended to be released as a single. That single also never happened.

To be honest, as far as to listen to I could've been happy with just the 7" SHORTER single mix of
I Can't Stop, the repetition of the longer versions always lost my attention after about 3 minutes in.

Looking forward to your 2nd release. Hope you will keep us all posted as to that.
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:59 am

Sundayguy wrote:Passing_Stranger,

You're welcome, and I hope the We Take Mystery 12" was something you were after to add to your collection.
Do you have the unreleased "alternate" mix of that? It's as if they were going to release a 7" based on that 12" remix.
If that was the plan, it never made it to vinyl. Also from '82/I Assassin there was an unreleased 7" mix of War Songs,
apparently also intended to be released as a single. That single also never happened.

Yes, a great addition - for a long time I've never been a fan of his funk direction but now I love both Dance and I Assassin. And the dance groove in this mix is really cool and hypnotic, I like it very much. What's strange is that I generally like the first two singles from that album more.

Not aware of other attempts at singles, so a good bit of info. Still I doubt it could've been a big hit after the three previous singles...

To be honest, as far as to listen to I could've been happy with just the 7" SHORTER single mix of
I Can't Stop, the repetition of the longer versions always lost my attention after about 3 minutes in.

Absolutely - one of the most irritating songs by Gary. Even a video version seems a bit stretched. Still, for the sake of completion... :D

Looking forward to your 2nd release. Hope you will keep us all posted as to that.

Of course I will. I'm really pleased to do such things - it's interesting for oneself but to share it with people is much more satisying. I'll also do compilations on other artists, just wait for them :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Sundayguy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:40 pm

Passing_Stranger,

I'll see if I can upload those unreleased singles mixes for you soon. Did you know Gary has done a Fundraiser to be able to
not have to sign with a label to get an album out? If you pre-order at anything above the 1st level you get access to exclusive
audio and video all year, so it's as though you're there seeing the new album being made from the 1st note, to the finished product.
It's an interesting idea. Gary wants his fans to get a look "behind the scenes" of this album being made, in hopes the fans
will feel more "connected" to the album when it's finished (Nov 2016) and released. I think it's great, the whole idea.
He's already surpassed his goal, and has just started writing/recording. He has no plan/direction for the new album,
fans will go along on the journey of discovery. Probably get to hear some demo clips or works in progress along the way too.

Unreleased single edits here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1sbrr ... shares.rar

Unknown uploader, 256kbps still good quality.
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby Neil Kelly » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:47 am

Thanks for all three shares so far.
Neil Kelly
The Jet Set

Postby Sundayguy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:30 pm

You're so welcome Neil. I have a few other things but I don't know if I'll be able to put them up before we're
done moving. We've already started taking a lot to the new place, computer will be last to go, probably! :?
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby maccafan076 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:10 am

I'm happy to see these links still working. Thanks for sharing :)
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed May 03, 2017 4:28 am

Yes, Mega is a great service for a long-term reliance :D Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks for the shares.

Has anyone put together a compilation of the 12 inch mixes?

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central