Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

REQ: Razormaid & Hot Tracks mixes

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

REQ: Razormaid & Hot Tracks mixes

Postby maccafan076 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Are there any compilations around of mixes for these DJ services? I'm trying to track down some.
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Re: REQ: Razormaid & Hot Tracks mixes

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Off the cuff I'm not aware of any, other than their own output. I know razormaid did a few comps I think back in the 90s and hot tracks had their 30th anniversary set. I believe the main reason it's rare to see mixes from either service is that usually when they licensed tracks it was for promotional use only which apparently makes it very difficult to license the resulting mixes for releases intend for general sale/profit. I'm just going by things I've read over the years, I'm not necessarily an expert on the topic.

I owned the hot tracks set at one point and a couple of the razormaid comps. Big difference in quality. What made razormaid a level better, as I understand it, was the labels gave them the multitracks to use to create their mixes. Most pre mid 90s hot tracks mixes sound like they used commercially available vinyl as their source. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby obs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:18 am

They were selling a harddrive containing everything they put out. Don't know if it is still available.

Razormaid Productions
· August 3, 2016 ·

Thanks to Liz and Alan we finally have an official sign for selling the Razormaid Library at the Houston event. Some of you may remember this logo. It was from our tee shirt and Anniversary Box Set 7.0
-- https://www.facebook.com/RazormaidProductions
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:16 am

There are quite a few compilations, especially of Razormaid mixes. On p2p services like Soulseek you can even find rips of the original vinyls. But I've never seen them freely available.

What are you looking for? I can try to help :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby miguel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:16 am

I don't think they used vinyl as source. Hot Tracks, as Razormaid and Disconet, were used to promo new stuff, and in a sort of way they were official. In my opinion, the best Hot Tracks series are the one released until Steve Algozino (Hot Tracks founder) was involved. Razormaid (one half) is still active, this is interesting: http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/20 ... id-feature
miguel
Running Up That Hill

Postby maccafan076 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Great responses on this. Two RM mixes I'm looking for offhand is Lene Lovich "It's You" & "Hairdressers Revenge".

From what I heard of these services Razormaid was always my favorite.
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Return to Obscure 80s Central