Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: Gary Numan

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

SHARE: Gary Numan

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon May 22, 2017 7:43 am

Finally had time to gather and organize collections of his B-sides and extended versions for those people here who asked for them. Here are two links - the first is for B-sides from 1979 to 1992. Must say I was pleasantly surprised at Gary's B-sides from 1984-1992, the years I didn't really investigate before - great moody instrumentals and some real gems among songs (like "I Don't Believe"). That was a good experience. Mind, I only compiled songs that were released on 7" and/or 12" singles - no "outtakes" or "never before released" stuff. I also excluded demos, versions of album songs, live recordings and covers - so only original studio tracks.

The 12" collection gathers most of his extended versions - there weren't that many of them, actually, and only on a couple of occasions he was into "multiple mixes" mode, so that certainly helped. Thanks for people here who at various times shared some of his rare 12"s, that was of great help. Again, I only compiled his commercially released 12"s, so no Razormaid stuff or the like - and none of his collaborative efforts as I only concentrated on his solo stuff.

All tracks are mp3 320 kbps. Enjoy!

https://mega.nz/#!yxNhQZpJ!AtPgNbrI2kvr ... TsJWruCZbw
https://mega.nz/#!mo9XEDwT!jTi39QoitxfK ... V75wbUo_yw
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: Gary Numan

Postby WLR » Mon May 22, 2017 11:32 am

:D Thanks for posting these, should be very interesting to listen too.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:30 pm

appreciate the share.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Sundayguy » Sat May 27, 2017 12:18 am

Hi Passing_Stranger,

Hey this was a really cool collection. Thanks for sharing! I think the Chris Nelson US mix of White Boys came from me.
I get you were compiling singles, B-Sides and such, and the songs are there, but in at least a few instances not the actual single
versions.
Puppets is the later remix, but that's the version on all the CDs. Shame is another one, and The Need and The Fear, also, if I'm
not mistaken.
Unless I missed it the 12" US My World Storm (and B-Side) was omitted, I may just not have noticed it, so apologies if I have that wrong.

I get what you're saying about how things went a little wonky with some of the singles. Like I Can't Stop. 7" edit, album, 10" and 12" extended, Club mix,
Picture mix, etc etc. so it must have been somewhat a challenge which version to include, with some songs.
I'm digging around several hard drives, looking for another REQ'd track, and while I'm at it, I'm keeping an eye out for the actual single versions
of a few of the Numan tracks, in case you might want them, in place of the remixes off CD you included in your compilation. Let me know
if you'd like those, and I'll try to speed up my searching. Cheers! :D
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sat May 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Guys, thank you for your interest! Hope you enjoy all this :D

Sundayguy, indeed there are some not quite real versions. For example, I just read on Wiki that Poetry & Power from CD reissues is the loner version than that on single's B-side! Not having this single I'm a bit bummed. As for other offenders, well, This Ship Comes Apart on all CDs is said to be digitaized at wrong speed - but to me it plays perfectly well. Wiki says that The Fear ('95 Remix) is not a remix but the original version from 12". Puppets is said to sound the same as the original, simply mixed again in 1995 as the original masters were lost. So I think these are minor things.

BUT - if you seem to have the originals (preferrably from vinyl) I'd love to have these:

We Need It 3.34 (7" edit from German single)
This Ship Comes Apart 3.55 (from Call out the Dogs 7")
The Fear 4.24 (from Miracles 7")
Time To Die 3.00 (from New Thing 7")
Puppets 4.00 (from I Still Remember 7")

I'd actually prefer them as the 12" versions are often a bit too long (as good as it may be for some).

P.S. Oh yes, I didn't include the track called Hanoi from the single Emotion (1991), but that's because it's a part of The Hauntings so no need to duplicate (and even Dark Mountain seems to have some common parts with the latter!).
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Sundayguy » Sat May 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi Passing Stranger,

I believe I have ALL those 7" vinyl rip single b-sides. Like I said, I'm doing some digging through various external drives, so it
may take me a while to hunt each of them down. I'm not sure about Puppets from the 7" but I know I've got the rest.

The Fear is one of those oddball Numan tracks, I'll give you that. A remix that's not a remix, maybe they meant "remastered" for CD? Don't know.
the single vinyl version of Puppets is very different from the later released CD version. Instrumentation is different, and the "original" lacks vocals.
Shame is also different, but less so.
I KNOW I've got the 12" rip of I Still Remember, with the longer Puppets B-Side, but I am not sure if I also have the 7" shorter. I have a folder, somewhere,
and I THINK I've got them both.
I've heard some complaints about the BABYLON series, as far as bad transfers to digital, wrong pitch, etc. but when I ordered them, years ago, from
Numan's website I was sure glad to get all those non-LP tracks on CD, though some of the transfers aren't that great. It was the best at that time.
Give me a while to dig these out, and whatever I come across I'll be more than happy to share. :wink:
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby maccafan076 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks PassingStranger for these. You are my hero :D Do you think you may do a collection like this in the future for Thomas Dolby or Go West?
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby xymox970 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:11 pm

This is just what the doctor ordered for me...... :)

Excellent ! :D
xymox970
The Jet Set

Postby Sundayguy » Tue May 30, 2017 10:21 pm

Hey Passing_Stranger,

Well, I searched a bunch of files on various drives and uploaded what I found here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8papnwy3i ... hare17.rar
What you'll find within are the following tracks:

Are "Friends" Electric? Single Edit
Poetry And Power from Sister Surprise 7" vinyl
Puppets from I Still Remember (7" and 12" vinyl)
Remind Me To Smile US Single Edit
Shame from Heart red vinyl 7" not the best quality
The Fear (7 inch Edit)
This Ship Comes Apart from Call Out The Dogs 7" single vinyl
Time To Die from New Thing 7" vinyl

I HAVE the German single edit, for We Need It, but I haven't come across that one, as yet.
If I DO turn other things up while going through drives I'll pass them along, as well, but I think SOME files may be on burned DVD Data
discs, and if that's the case, they're still all packed away after we moved, so not likely I'll get to the discs anytime soon.
Hope you enjoy these singles bits. A couple are not great quality, but worth a listen 'til better rips turn up.
If I had all my Numan singles here with me I could rip them myself, but I'm far away from my folk's house where the singles are.
*Wow I was typing badly, and got some info wrong, This took some editing, but I think it should be all corrected, now. :wink:
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby maccafan076 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks for the additions SundayGuy :D
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby Sundayguy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:46 pm

You're welcome maccafan076, I am always happy to share, when I have something someone may like to have. Hope you enjoy a listen, at least :D
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:33 am

Yes, thank you! Some things I've heard for the first time - like edit of Remind Me to Smile, what a great lost single! Much better pick than I Die You Die, I think.

With Shame frankly I didn't hear much difference with the Outland bonus. As for the others, some shorter versions are much better than the full-length ones, well, just for being shorter :D (This Ship Comes Apart particularly), think I'll substitute those and will re-up the B-sides collection sometime soon.

On a side note, just discovered Gary's song "My Breathing" from "Strange Charm" - what a great one that is! Heard that about ten times over the weekend and still want to hear it more! Recommend to anyone, that's the sound and direction he should've investigated more.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby markwilson » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:48 am

Thanks for all the Numan.
Does anybody have Radio Heart instrumental?
Thanks
markwilson
Switchin' to Glide

Postby xymox970 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:29 am

markwilson wrote:Thanks for all the Numan.
Does anybody have Radio Heart instrumental?
Thanks

Here it is..... :)

http://www108.zippyshare.com/v/47Y5Yk38/file.html
xymox970
The Jet Set

Postby markwilson » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:10 am

Wow that was quick.
Many thanks.
markwilson
Switchin' to Glide

Next