Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: Japan Gentlemen Take Polaroids - alternative version

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

SHARE: Japan Gentlemen Take Polaroids - alternative version

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 am

Now here's one I prepared quite some time ago. It was maybe the first Japan album I ever "got" into, so it's probably my favourite. What's interesting is that almost all the songs had an alternative version or a live recording (I'm reluctant to add live versions to studio ones but sometimes it's the only way). Only one song (as usual) stood out - "My New Carrier", but remembering Mick Karn's memoir I knew there was another song in its place originally - so problem solved (even if it's a 2000 version of that song).

(01) Gentlemen Take Polaroids (7'' mix)
(02) Swing (video version)
(03) Burning Bridges (7'' version)
(04) My New Career (Live at Old Grey Whistle Test)
(05) Methods of Dance (from Oil on Canvas)
(06) Ain't That Peculiar (Cash Cows version)
(07) Nightporter (7'' remix)
(08) Taking Islands in Africa (7'' remix)

Link: https://mega.nz/#!XhFkwLSL!f5mTaljANRGY ... tyvOjQuW2M

Enjoy!
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: Japan Gentlemen Take Polaroids - alternative vers

Postby FiveTenFifteen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:21 am

You could also include the Old Grey Whistle Test live in the studio version of My New Career: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrI3ZlHZAU
FiveTenFifteen
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:59 am

FiveTenFifteen wrote:You could also include the Old Grey Whistle Test live in the studio version of My New Career: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrI3ZlHZAU

Oof, totally forgot about it. Thanks!

Now, how do I get the audio off YouTube... :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Totally off topic though but does anyone have a high resolution scan of the Quiet Life single from 1981 (i.e. the same pic that was used for the Assemblage cover). Thanks.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 pm

omar wrote:Totally off topic though but does anyone have a high resolution scan of the Quiet Life single from 1981 (i.e. the same pic that was used for the Assemblage cover). Thanks.

https://www.albumartexchange.com/covers ... quiet+life

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:18 pm

Thanks . I have that. The single reissue in 1981 featured the Assemblage cover with Quiet Life written on it.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Sundayguy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:29 pm

What a cool idea! I really enjoyed this "alternate" Gentlemen. I did swap in My New Career from OGWT, as was suggested. Had to play with the audio EQ to make it more
closely match the volume and etc of the other tracks, and tacked on Some Kind Of Fool, at the end, instead. I Req'd the original some years back, here, and still the only version available
is the 2000 mix, so still waiting for the original to turn up, even if only in rough form. Thanks for this share!
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Sundayguy wrote:What a cool idea! I really enjoyed this "alternate" Gentlemen. I did swap in My New Career from OGWT, as was suggested. Had to play with the audio EQ to make it more closely match the volume and etc of the other tracks, and tacked on Some Kind Of Fool, at the end, instead. I Req'd the original some years back, here, and still the only version available
is the 2000 mix, so still waiting for the original to turn up, even if only in rough form. Thanks for this share!

Thank you for responce, glad you like it :D

As I understood from Mick Karn's bio, "Some Kind of Fool" was completed then discarded in favour of "My New carrier" for some reason. So the original version has to be there, why it's not released is a mystery to me.

Can you please post the OGWT version here or PM it to me, Would love to add it to my version too :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Sundayguy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Thank you very much! Sounds great - and fresher than the more familiar LP version!

I like it when the whole album is changed like that :D

Now, which one to do next...
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Frank50 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 am

It's not really an alternative version is it? Japan did not spend a great of time 're recording tracks and more often swipped the tapes clean once they reached the quality recording they required. It's a shame for us fans but we won't be getting any kind of deluxe four disc sets of outtakes, demos acoustic or live material any time soon. Nice try with the compilation but at the end of the day the tracks produced for albums and singles are the best we are going to get. A decent early and or mid period live abum would be lovely but according to ex band members these don't exist either. So, let's just enjoy what we have and keep calm.
Frank50
Switchin' to Glide

Postby humanracer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:13 am

but the "hit" versions of the songs aren't the ones found on the normal compilations. To really hear the songs that were being played in clubs/radio, you should check out the Japanese 2 CD "The Singles", sourced from vinyl but really good.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Frank50 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:28 pm

That may or may not be true, and you are giving the impression that there are somehow alternative versions to tracks that is misleading and false. The so called versions you are referring to are merely edited versions of original album or stand alone singles done so for compilations or best it's, or indeed the Singles collection you mention.
Frank50
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Sean » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:10 pm

I don't think the intention of these comps were intended to fool or mislead anyone. To me, these are just fun different versions of songs from albums we all know and love. We've heard the albums version many many times and as mentioned, they are probably the best versions but after a few hundred listens, a different or "alternative" version of the song is quite welcoming. Thank you Passing Stranger for these shares. If bands released albums like these, I would buy them in heartbeat.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby AJWAVE » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Any chance to get Nightporter, Ain't that peculiar and the Burning Bridges 7" mix in FLAC?
Thanks in advance
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central