Site Announcements
Congratulations to
DJRetroactive

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: Men Without Hats 'Ban The Game' re-edit

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

SHARE: Men Without Hats 'Ban The Game' re-edit

Postby PKPN » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:22 am

Men Without Hats' "Ban The Game (Demo)" had circulated on bootlegs for a while before being released as "Ban The Game (Full Version)" on the 2010 reissue CD of the Rhythm of Youth album. It is very different from the short piano-and-vocal piece that opens the album. It is hardly a demo, more like a complete song, very energetic and danceable, and with a strong synthy New Wave vibe.

A few years ago, I really wanted to make a mix of New Wave tracks, and I thought it would be great to use this song. When trying to mix it with something else with a 4:4 beat, though, I found my sense of timing was always off. It turns out it's because the song is written in 6:8 time (or something). So I ended up directing all my energy toward re-editing the song so that it had a 4:4 intro and outro. My "remix" ended up being just these edits, some effects, and the addition of a short beat loop that fades in after a while. Nothing too fancy, but I really like how it turned out.

I think Soundcloud will allow 100 downloads. It is only up to 45 right now. If it stops working I'll post a Mega link.
PKPN
Take On Me

Re: SHARE: Men Without Hats 'Ban The Game' re-edit

Postby maccafan076 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:54 pm

I'm loving your shares. Have you do any mixes that you haven't posted here? Also you mention this was on MWH bootlegs. I've yet to see one. Do you know where I can find any?
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby PKPN » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:21 pm

I have several other edits I have not posted here, but they are not New Wave at all. They are mostly just things where I want to cut out an annoying part of a classic pop or rave track or combine my favorite parts of different remixes.

I found MWH bootlegs on RuTracker (BitTorrent) and Soulseek. These are all worth getting:
  • Rhythm of Youth demo tape / Folk of the '80s rehearsal tape [lossless CD rip]
  • Extended Hats [lossless CD rip]
  • Rhythm of Youth Live [128 kbps MP3s]
More info about the first two: https://www.discogs.com/artist/24170-Me ... Unofficial
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby maccafan076 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:58 pm

I found the live one on Rutracker but i'm not on Slsk. Can you share the demo and extended ones?
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Return to Obscure 80s Central