Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

QUESTION: Depeche Mode inquiry

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

QUESTION: Depeche Mode inquiry

Postby LPCDMP3 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:32 am

Wikipedia drives me insane some times.

I was browsing the Depeche Mode Wiki and went into their discography. Wiki claims that the original 7" single of "Dreaming Of Me" / "Ice Machine" features the cold endings found on the 1988 UK CD reissue of 'Speak & Spell'. I have this 7", I bought it sometime in 1983. My copy has the more common fade ending on both tracks. Does anyone actually have a copy of this 7" with the cold endings?

Mute has a track record of mistakes on their CD's like this -
'Speak & Spell' had the two unfaded tracks mentioned above
Erasure's 'Wonderland' CD - "Push Me Shove Me" is also not faded out properly (as on the LP) and ends abruptly. This was NOT corrected on the remaster either.
Yazoo's "Situation" 1990 LCD single - "State Farm" runs 4:11, more than half a minute longer than the 7" 3:36 version later released on the 1996 CD single reissue.
LPCDMP3
Take On Me

Re: QUESTION: Depeche Mode inquiry

Postby obs » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:12 pm

The Japanese X1 X2 boxsets has some tracks that are slightly different at the end, specifically "Get the Balance Right!"
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Paulie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:29 am

I bought the Dreaming of Me 7" the week of it's UK release, based on reading a very short but glowing review in Smash Hits magazine... and it definitely faded out.
Paulie
Take On Me

Postby obs » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:20 pm

I have one of the "second" pressings: https://www.discogs.com/release/2313839
but it has the same Lyntone matrix as the original, and it fades. I think whoever made that statement in Wiki based the cold ending by the track timings at Discogs.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby LPCDMP3 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. Thought I wasn't wrong, just wanted to be sure.
LPCDMP3
Take On Me

Postby zippyphonic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:47 pm

ProTip: Don't count on Wikipedia for accurate info on artists or their releases.
zippyphonic
Take On Me

Postby LPCDMP3 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:13 pm

I certainly don't rely on Wiki, but it irks me that misinformation is spread like this.
It seems the 1988 German 3" CD single also has the unfaded versions of these two tracks.
LPCDMP3
Take On Me

Return to Obscure 80s Central