Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Stabilizers Unreleased 2nd Album "Teasing Enrico"

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: Stabilizers Unreleased 2nd Album "Teasing Enrico"

Postby eddie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:54 am

Since I know nothing of this band I can only talk in general trading terms. He's been fortunate to be given something and instructed not to share it. He seems to want to abide by that request. If he hadn't posted on here he would have still had that cd and none of you would be any wiser. It would still be the long-lost album you never expected to hear. What seems to be being said though is as usual on the internet because someone else has something everyone is entitled to it and the owner should disregard whatever instructions they were given because that entitlement outweighs any trust the original owner put in the person they gave it to. Sadly that's not the way it works if one person wins the lottery everyone else doesn't.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby Qbertqubes » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:12 am

if he shared it, it would be no different than any of us sharing music on here that cannot be found elsewhere.. It was a hollow 30 year old promise that is probably long forgotten and misunderstood at the time it was given. Why bring it up that you have it, otherwise, if only will you enjoy it hear and review it.
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby eddie » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:38 am

No it's not a hollow promise he's clearly taken it very seriously. I appreciate it's upsetting you because you want it but trying to bully him into sharing it isn't nice. Having traded tapes starting in 1980 I can tell you that so much of what was doing the rounds from then and through the 80's has never made it's way onto the internet that this represents the proverbial drop in the ocean. He's simply doing what it says discussing hard to find music and you can bet he'll think twice about it in future. Your best hope of hearing this is for someone like rubellan to approach the copyright owners and try to negotiate a deal towards an official release.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby swerve » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:11 pm

It's not 30 years ago ( re: agreement / promise ) as he states he made contact with the member who sent it to him in the late 90's / early 00's.

He can't contact the member who sent it to him and wants to respect his wishes so everyone just needs to leave it at that.

Yes the first LP was great and yes it's unfortunate we don't have access to hearing the entire second one or even snippets of it unless Rothgarr decides to provide those.

Time to move on and leave the guy alone.

Had Rothgarr indicated in his first post that he couldn't make it available for others to hear perhaps people here would have left it at that.

My feelings is simply that he was trying to provide details.

Thanks Rothgarr for the added info.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby musfan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:00 am

Thanks Rothgarr for giving us information about this album.

I've got some rarities from people who have asked me not to share it with others for a variety of reasons. I've respected those people's wishes, because they trusted that I would keep my word.

Honoring your word is the most important part here. Respect for keeping yours.
musfan
Personal Jesus

Postby Seona85 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Damn, this is diappointing. It's almost worse knowing somebody has it. Gotta question though: it doesn't sound like the promise was exactly the artist's wish, but simply a concern about copyright (i.e - he wasn't legally allowed to give it out). Is it worth asking who would actually own the rights? Seems a little crazy that this album will only ever be listened to by one person. Could we inquire?
Seona85
Take On Me

Postby eddie » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Dear god, not this again.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby PaL » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:03 pm

stfu eddie.
people wanna hear it.
PaL
Take On Me

Postby eddie » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:13 pm

You are behaving like spoilt children. Which is what the internet has turned you into. I'm picturing you all throwing tantrums. Just because you want it doesn't mean he should give it. You have noticed he hasn't visited for a month? So you're more or less wasting your time.

My advice would be to start screaming and sit down refusing to move. It's an oldie but it works for three year olds so...
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby Seona85 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:58 am

Somewhat OTT. Look, everyone respects his reason for not sharing it. It's a promise he made to protect the original artist, and I think most of us would make the same decision. However if NWO is to serve any purpose at all, surely finding ways to make this stuff available to people is that purpose, so it's reasonable to wonder how we could get around this problem. This conversation took place with Rich Nevens in the 1990s apparently, so it might be worth investigative legwork to track down Rich Nevens (he was interviewed for comment on Dave's death recently for crying out loud, he hasn't vanished into thin air), and ask him if he still feels the same way, if any licencing issues remain today. Stabilizers were still on label in the 90s as far as I recall, because they did 'Maybe This Time' for that Richard Greico movie, so the concern would be understandable even if they were recently out of contract.

I have a strong hunch if someone asked Rich today, at the tail end of 2018, he'd say of course there is no issue. I feel this is worth pursuing. Would you turn down a chance to hear the unreleased 'This Island Earth' album?
Seona85
Take On Me

Postby eddie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:21 am

No, what's over the top is the hounding of this individual. Now you seem to be saying if you find out there is no rights issue he HAS to share. Breaking news: he doesn't, it is still his choice. Believe me life will go on, the world will not stop turning. If he wanted to still keep it for himself there is nothing any of you could do about it (except continue the wailing obviously). The only thing anyone could argue is in hindsight he's made a mistake by saying he has it and i'd bet he would agree with that. I've said it before but there were lots of recordings circulating in the eighties especially that have never made it to the internet and often when they have they are kept within trusted groups but the smart thing to do is not say you have x, y or z specifically on a public forum because this is what happens.

Are you asking me personally about 'this island earth' or is it general? My answer is couldn't care less about it.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby Qbertqubes » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 am

what is most confusing is Eddie's relentless loyalty to an album & artist he does not care for. Have one person listening to the album is nonsense. I tried contacting Rich N on his CA web site but hear nothing. I think we should all try...all except Eddie as his goal is not the same as ours & enjoys keeping music away from fans for no real reason. Eddie, this is not your concern...it is between Rothgarr & all the fans that want the album.
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby eddie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:35 am

Again, I'm viewing it from a sharing perspective nothing to do with the album. Let's go back to the beginning, he has been asked not to share, he clearly wishes to abide by that request. I can understand that you lot want to hear and I sympathise but if he shares it it will be on youtube, soulseek and hundreds of other places in five minutes and the only person it will be attributable to as a source will be him. As I said before he's under no obligation to share at all so even if you get a reply and come back saying there is no problem it doesn't necessarily mean you get it. The only way you can solve this is to get your own copy. If you did but were given the same instructions what would you do?. For example, if I said here is a perfect recording of Bram Tchaikovsky London 1979 please don't share it anywhere?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby elevatorman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Personally, I find it interesting that Rothgarr has only 3 posts on here. It isn't like he has been a longtime member of this forum. His 3 posts consist of telling us he has a copy of the never released cd and when a handful of us said we would love to hear it he backed off saying he was asked to not share. Why join the forum to tell us he owns it but can't share? This is for a series of session recordings that are almost 30 years old and that will never be released. If MCA or Rich thought they could recoup any money from its release they would have by now. How many fans are there alive today that even know who the Stabilizers are or were?

Occasionally a band has expressed displeasure in releasing music they were not proud of (Modern English - Stop/Start) or that was stolen (U2 - Salome...even though they finally relented). My personal interactions with bands that have session recordings have been nothing but positive. I have some session stuff from Kissing the Pink (post Certain Things Are Likely) and Y (Yen). Some of which I came across on my own and others they have shared with me. Bands and band members have always enjoyed knowing there were fans of some of these songs (many of which they consider crap).

I hope that Rothgarr has been truthful with us. I will respect his wishes. But I also have my doubts and I hope one day someone relents and we get to hear these songs but I'm not counting on it.
elevatorman
Take On Me

Postby Qbertqubes » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:01 am

Eddie. again..it is not your problem as you do not know the artist or care about them. Why get involved?
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central