Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

REQ: Pride, pre-Sade

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

REQ: Pride, pre-Sade

Postby Uvox » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:33 am

Found this in the current issue of CLASSIC POP magazine:

"Sade formed out of the ashes of Pride, a London funk/Latin outfit. When their original singer left, Adu was asked to audition: “They just assumed I could sing because I was black,” she told MTV. .....

Labels were initially reluctant to sign Pride but after Adu became hot property following appearances in style bibles like The Face, they signed the singer and Pride’s Stuart Matthewman, Paul Denman and Andrew Hale came with her as part of the package."

Anyone knows, did PRIDE have any records before contracting Sade?? Discogs does not know anything.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Re: REQ: Pride, pre-Sade

Postby eddie » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:45 am

The write up attached to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKV2prBbFQI

may at least partly answer your question. The band is not listed in 'The International Discography of the New Wave' book which is far more likely to feature even the most obscure demo tape or compilation album appearance than discogs is.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:54 am

Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:59 am

eddie wrote:The write up attached to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKV2prBbFQI

may at least partly answer your question. The band is not listed in 'The International Discography of the New Wave' book which is far more likely to feature even the most obscure demo tape or compilation album appearance than discogs is.

Never knew about that discography book. Shame it never had more editions. Did it cover synth pop?
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:20 am

It covers more or less everything however tenuously it might be labelled new wave. In context of the time it's put together it is an incredible undertaking. I will try to scan a few entries but I'm sure they will be met by posts of 'it's missing .....' and any one of us could come up with those observations. The pages on mine are quite yellowy now but the book is still intact and comes in at 736 pages so it's going to scan badly. I've seen images of it on the internet but i've never seen another physical copy since the day I bought that in Virgin records.

Maybe best to start another thread though or else we'll be having the protesters marching through again and writing to their mp's/senators to demand we have a book section.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby Uvox » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 am

humanracer wrote:Never knew about that discography book.

With Eddie lead, I found a scan of that book in the web,
https://mega.nz/file/dB1EyKoa#CaqT_pZtF ... FhzKLyO9TE
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby Uvox » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:40 am

thanks to Eddie and others for your links, quite an interesting story not only about PRIDE, who were found a just another band in a row of a million guitar pop bands, but about a black back singer beauty turning an international pop star.
I liked that "Sadedrummer" scandalous type, who sued her for a million quid and was offered 20K by the band to shut up. Copyright and alike stories are always a nice read.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:41 am

Uvox wrote:
humanracer wrote:Never knew about that discography book.

With Eddie lead, I found a scan of that book in the web,
https://mega.nz/file/dB1EyKoa#CaqT_pZtF ... FhzKLyO9TE

Absolutely fantastic find. One of the best posts ever made on this forum. And whoever has done it should be getting the Nobel Prize for literature sometime. Without that book there would be no Discogs. It takes sometimes even for short books which have never been digitised. I did these two and loads of magazines a couple of years ago as part of a massive project for, well best not to say who for, and it's easy to go wrong.

Image Image
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:14 pm

Amazing find. The book features bands like Tears For Fears so covers everything. It’s a shame not updated it as could use it to identify some mystery songs.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Uvox » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:59 am

eddie wrote: Without that book there would be no Discogs.

You mean, Discogs skeleton was initially built on that book?
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:16 am

It's definitely the inspiration.

Though the discogs fanboy will cry otherwise.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby AJWAVE » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:40 pm

Interesting post. I knew of the existence of this band with a very young Sade and as 3 of the members (including her) they would achieve fame much later.
I found this photo on the internet looking for more information.

Long time ago I found a page about how one a Pride former member helped to write the jazzy "Snakebite" and that due to fights with the other Sade band members the appearance of this at the end of "Smooth Operator" was replaced by " Red Eye " with a more Latin flavor. Maybe I am confusing some things since it was more than 4 years since I read that (Snakebite appears on the Sade first 12" single "Your Love is King" as b-side merged with the original Smooth Operator version and the first pressings of the "Diamond Life" Cassette)
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby AJWAVE » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:24 pm

Uvox wrote:Found this in the current issue of CLASSIC POP magazine:
"Sade formed out of the ashes of Pride, a London funk/Latin outfit. When their original singer left, Adu was asked to audition: “They just assumed I could sing because I was black,” she told MTV. .....
Labels were initially reluctant to sign Pride but after Adu became hot property following appearances in style bibles like The Face, they signed the singer and Pride’s Stuart Matthewman, Paul Denman and Andrew Hale came with her as part of the package."

They mess things up...Hale was not member of Pride. Ray St. John and Paul Cooke the guitarist and the drummer respectively

PD. I Think Cooke was the composer of Snakebite and like St. John, both of them were kicked out of the band due to Sade Adu.
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby Uvox » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:15 am

AJWAVE wrote:both of them were kicked out of the band due to Sade Adu.

Do you know what was the reason?? I would vote for a sex harrassment thing.... a woman who is attractive at her 60s should had been damn attractive at her 20s.............
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby AJWAVE » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:58 am

from Paul Cooke you tube channel (I found it yesterday):
"The singer in October 1983 transferred without my knowledge the rights of the RCA sessions and recordings to CBS on the 19th October 1983. Including songs such as Smooth Operator & Your Love is King.
The producer Robin Millar and his engineer Mike Pela sampled my drums in the RCA sessions and then in November 1983 without my knowledge used a Linn drum and a session drummer to re-create some of the songs such as Cherry Pie et al in isolation from the rest of the band?
In January 194 the singer Sade Adu sacked me from the band and gave me an invoice for work done in the studios sessions as if I was a session drummer. This was in consideration of her contract with CBS Records. Further to this in 1996 I was represented by the record company as a session musician on some of the Sade recordings for Diamond Life?
In 1984 I performed with my former band Sade on the BBC ‘Top of the Pop’s show performing the drums for ‘Your Love is King’. The singer Sade Adu represented the band Sade as five members of the group signed to Epic Records her record company.
In 1985 the record company Epic Records removed my drums on Smooth Operator for the video track. I was replaced on the video by John Rose who was later convicted of drug dealing in the same year. A non drummer. My drums had been re-performed by a session musician called David Early.
In 2001 or thereabouts the band Sade re-recorded Smooth Operator in The USA removing my drums once again and creating a new version of the song that appears on ‘Sade essentials’ product by Sony."

about the original recording of Smooth operator (EMI Studios 1983)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYO3CsEebXg
"This is one of the first ever recordings of Smooth Operator at EMI STUDIOS 1983. EMI Publishing requested that we demo some songs for them in 1983 a later deal was done with the band Sade in 1984 for at least 500K on the basis of what we did in the studios in 1983 and further to what we produced on the Diamond Life Album in 1984. This is a video of the actual Smooth Operator recording + archive pictures from the time when we created the song Smooth Operator at the Solid Light Studios in Camden London. Music produced at EMI Studios in early 1983, many months before recording the album Diamond Life in Oct-Dec 1983 with Robin Millar at PowerPlant Studios.. The band at the time comprised of myself, Paul Denman, Stuart Mathewman and Helen Adu. The actual music royalty split for this song should have been COOKE/DENMAN/ST JOHN as myself and Paul Denman wrote the bass line and the drum parts, Ray the music. The singer decided in 1984 she would get 50% of the music even though she wasn't a musician? This is the first ever studio recording of the song Smooth Operator along with 'You don't have to say you love me' and 'Spirit' also recorded at EMI Studios at the same time..member Stuart Mathewman. Could have been end game for Sade if SM had been convicted as well "

PD: Some things i remembered were right
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central