Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Books

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Books

Postby eddie » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:57 am

Following on from Uvox's memorable discovery akin to finding the notes to The Bible.

Other books which really do need to be digitised for posterity. We all know it's easy to find the information online though actually the first of these is still regarded with awe by genuine fans. I've kept the author's follow up next to it just because it's him and for those of us who knew Pimm before the world took it's toll on him he will always be remembered as the most genuine and generous person and frankly the internet would have eaten him alive.

Image Image
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Re: Books

Postby eddie » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:02 am

I can't tell you how many times I've been through this and it's predecessors

Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:04 am

Again we know there are sites with more info but at the time there weren't and you have to admire the time these people put in to compiling them.

Image Image
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:08 am

These are more auto/biographical than the others but should be somewhere. In fact I think the Blondie one is but the funny thing about those two is when I bought them at the time I think they were 20p in the supermarket.

Image Image
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby maccafan076 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:38 pm

I used to see these all the time in book stores but never picked them up. I did manage to get The Who one a couple years back and it's very well done. Brings back memories seeing these.
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby Spudboy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:02 pm

The favorites in my collection are "An Ideal for Living" about Joy Division; "Everybody Loves a History" about Wire; and "The Art of the Sixth Sense" about Cabaret Voltaire.

Every one is great, in-depth reading.
Still looking for my girl with auburn hair and tawny eyes...
Spudboy
Personal Jesus

Postby Uvox » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:02 am

I copy the link to the INTERNATIONAL DISCOGRAPHY OF THE NEW WAVE here for visitors to easier find it -

https://mega.nz/file/dB1EyKoa#CaqT_pZtF ... FhzKLyO9TE

Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby AJWAVE » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Interesting collection Eddie. I have two books: Lou reed and the Velvet underground and one book full of pics from Bowie's "the man who fell to earth".
Maybe post some pics later
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby Uvox » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:22 am

Another addition to this forum library -

Trouser Press Record guide, Fourth edition, 790 pages.

https://mega.nz/file/TstUwIZT#s1T2Vf-X4 ... pkWkKmsoog

FAQ:
https://trouserpress.com/faqs/#What_was ... cord_Guide
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby 80rulez » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:23 am

Before Discogs (or allmusic), to find releases, you actually have to buy a book. I remembered buying one Book which supposed to cover all the CD releases in the world (i.e. US/UK/Germany/Japan). It's big, thick and expensive. It helped me find several rare CDs (mostly Japanese CD) back then.

I have no idea where the book is now. If I find it, I will post the cover here.
80rulez
Take On Me

Postby Uvox » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:43 am

80rulez wrote: It helped me find several rare CDs (mostly Japanese CD) back then.

where did you go before Ebay to find Japanese releases - supposedly you reside in US \Europe?
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:03 am

I can't speak for cds but Japanese vinyl singles or albums was incredibly easy to get hold of in Britain in the 80's and early 90's.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby 80rulez » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:04 am

Uvox wrote:
80rulez wrote: It helped me find several rare CDs (mostly Japanese CD) back then.

where did you go before Ebay to find Japanese releases - supposedly you reside in US \Europe?

There used to be two companies which I ordered from. If I'm not mistaken one was called Sound City 2000 based in Portland and another one was CDNow.
80rulez
Take On Me

Postby 80rulez » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:49 am

eddie wrote:I can't speak for cds but Japanese vinyl singles or albums was incredibly easy to get hold of in Britain in the 80's and early 90's.

I live for a decade during that period in Midwest. New Wave bands were not that popular in my area. Thus making it difficult to find releases beside imports. Maybe much easier if you live in the big cities in the east or west coasts.
80rulez
Take On Me

Postby eddie » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:31 am

eddie
The Jet Set

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central