Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Manufacture (Nettwerk)

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Manufacture (Nettwerk)

Postby kemo60605 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:05 pm

Once again I have a cassette version only of an album by a group called Manufacture. Anyone have the track "Passion for the Future"??
kemo60605
Switchin' to Glide

Postby thefxc » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:19 pm

Manufacture's _Terrorvision_ is an excellent, late 80s Wax Trax-esque record (but on Nettwerk, then the Wax Trax of the Great White North.) Sarah McLachlan does a great lead vocal on "As the End Draws Near." I've always thought she missed her calling as a singer for a synthpop band.

Anyways, "Passion For the Future":

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2L8M ... 2GWFKQ44J7

Enjoy.
thefxc
Personal Jesus

Postby kemo60605 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:40 pm

AWESOME! Yes, the whole album is great, but I first heard that song many moons ago and bought the tape. It's stuck with me and I wanted it digitally.

Thanks again.

You wouldn't also happen to have Wire's, Drill: In Every City would you?
kemo60605
Switchin' to Glide

Postby obs » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:11 pm

Bah! Nettwerk were cooler than WaxTrax! in my opinion, although maybe it has something to do with my Vancouver ties [:D]. Their album covers were cooler anyways.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby thefxc » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:23 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by obs[/i]
<br>Bah! Nettwerk were cooler than WaxTrax! in my opinion, although maybe it has something to do with my Vancouver ties [:D]. Their album covers were cooler anyways.
[/quote]

Nettwerk vs Wax Trax sounds like a great NWO thread.

I agree completely re: Nettwerk's album covers--they were always distinctive without being similar; futuristic and "industrial" without being simply cheesy sci-fi retreads.

At the time, I was more of a Wax Trax fan, although I bought everything I could from both labels. As I think about it, tho, I probably listen to the Nettwerk bands more often, notably Moev, Severed Heads, Manufacture, Skinny Puppy, and possibly my fave nettwerk band, Single Gun Theory. I still love the Wax Trax stuff, but in recent years I've found I'm no longer unfailingly devoted to the Cult of Jourgensen.

Neither label did well in the 90s, tho--Nettwerk changed to an all-McLachlan catalog; Wax Trax dragged on into bankruptcy and mediocrity. Sic transit gloria mundi...

--fxc
thefxc
Personal Jesus

Postby KYYX4ever » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:14 am

Holy cow--I thought I was the only one who knew about that Manufacture song with Sarah McLachlin on it! JK!
Anyway, having lived in the Pacific NW, I am also more into Nettwerk's stuff. They had some great artists---I'm a big fan of early Skinny Puppy, Moev, Severed Heads, and ESPECIALLY Single Gun Theory ! Wax Trax was cool, too, but Nettwerk was more "my" label, ha ha.
Anyway, thanks for sharing.
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby kemo60605 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:35 pm

Nettwerk was big in Chicago, even in the shadow of Wax Trax. In addition to the early SKinny Puppy, I also loved The Tear Garden.
kemo60605
Switchin' to Glide

Return to Obscure 80s Central