Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

song id del

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

song id del

Postby Mathman » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:52 am

These are a few things I have been listening to lately:

From Ellen Foley's album from her days hanging with the Clash, Torchlight.

The 7" vinyl of ABC's Tears Are Not Enough

The 7" version of The Sound's Hot House

The 7" mix of Positive Noise's When Lightning Strikes

A strange, light pop group, The Pookah Makes Three did Take It Back

Richard Barone's solo acoustic version of Number with Wings
There's a cool web site called Little Hits (www.littlehits.com) that features lots of cool downloads. They have featured a single by Philip Glass, which made me remember the early Polyrock album he produced, and this song, Romantic Me

To have ambition is my ambition
Mathman
Personal Jesus

Postby KYYX4ever » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:02 am

aaahhhhh, the Pookah Makes Three I love you Mathman! Would you by any chance have "Time After Time" ?[:)] I've been searching for that song by them for FOREVER !
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby Frank_Chickens » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:04 am

"Lucky Lucky Lucky" is a great track by them.

--

"As chairman of the Cradle of Filth fanclub I'm the most insensitive man in Britain, but even I can see there's tension there"
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Postby Mathman » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:40 am

Time After Time, is from a tape so it is not the greatest quality, but aside from a few snaps and pops, it is in pretty good shape.
Mathman
Personal Jesus

Postby Igmont » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:07 am

What is the "real" (i.e. popular) version of "Numbers with Wings"? I know the song, but cannot remember it!

Rev. Jim
Igmont
Take On Me

Postby 1980-F » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:53 am

Hi, Igmont!

I think you mean the Bongos.
1980-F
Personal Jesus

Postby KYYX4ever » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:21 am

Mathman,
ahhh the love is complete...THANK YOU so much ![:X]
When Steve Rabow 1st played that song 20+ yrs. ago in Seattle, it was a rainy wet evening and the song is inextricably intertwined with this memory...and now I have it! I also had a scratchy cassette recording, but this version is fine.
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby Mathman » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:21 am

KYYXforever - I'm glad to be able to help you find this song!

Igmont- It is the Bongos who have the more famous version of Number with Wings - Barone was a member of the Bongos, too.

To have ambition is my ambition
Mathman
Personal Jesus

Postby WolverineSyr » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:24 am

Thanks Mathman - I really like Ellen Foley.

Little Hits is a great website & they've archived every one of the songs of the week from the past year. I picked up quite a few things there.
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Postby BigBri » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:06 am

Little Hits featured the Colorblind James Experience?!
I'm hooked!

Thanks for the link!
BigBri
The Jet Set

Postby tomfin2000 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:50 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by KYYX4ever[/i]
<br>Mathman,
ahhh the love is complete...THANK YOU so much ![:X]
When Steve Rabow 1st played that song 20+ yrs. ago in Seattle, it was a rainy wet evening and the song is inextricably intertwined with this memory...and now I have it! I also had a scratchy cassette recording, but this version is fine.
[/quote]

What an awesome song! I've never heard of these guys before this. Thanks to both of you!
tomfin2000
Take On Me

Postby tomfin2000 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:36 pm

Mathman, do you (or anyone else for that matter) have any more Pookah? I've been listening to those two songs all evening! Ironically enough, I did a quick search for some of their vinyl and they were on 10 Records at the same time as another of my recent favorites, Cook da Book.

Whoever was signing bands for 10 Records circa 1985 sure knew what they were doing. Unfortunately, whoever was promoting them must not have, because these bands should have had multiple hits.
tomfin2000
Take On Me

Postby Mathman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:54 am

Posted - 01/29/2006 : 19:36:30
Mathman, do you (or anyone else for that matter) have any more Pookah? I've been listening to those two songs all evening! Ironically enough, I did a quick search for some of their vinyl and they were on 10 Records at the same time as another of my recent favorites, Cook da Book.

Whoever was signing bands for 10 Records circa 1985 sure knew what they were doing. Unfortunately, whoever was promoting them must not have, because these bands should have had multiple hits.

All I have is the b-side of Take It Back. I'll try to post it within the week. Glad you liked these two.
Mathman
Personal Jesus

Postby tomfin2000 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:15 am

[quote]All I have is the b-side of Take It Back. I'll try to post it within the week. Glad you liked these two.[/quote]

Thanks, Mathman. By the way, is the 7" version of "Tears are not Enough" that you posted the one ABC recorded and released before Trevor Horn came into the picture?
tomfin2000
Take On Me

Postby Mathman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:24 am

Yes, the ABC track is pre-Trevor Horn.
Mathman
Personal Jesus

Return to Obscure 80s Central