Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Club Retro 2

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Club Retro 2

Postby WaverBoy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:52 pm

OK, this time out we've got some ItaloDisco/EuroDisco/EuroBeat/whateveryawannacall'em classics...a good friend from Singapore named Bernard Lim helped get me into this stuff. He used to run a website called EuroSpin, and he had tons of listening samples available to stream. We traded a bunch of music in the pre-Napster era...oh, the good old days of CD-R trading...

Ken Laszlo - Tonight (Re-remix) (My all-time favorite ItaloDisco track, this is a fairly rare remix, the best version IMO, never released on CD, ripped from personal vinyl)
http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2W2A ... XEM1F3WHOV

Fancy - Wait By The Radio (Pretty obscure Fancy track, and one of his all-time best. Ripped from CD)
http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ED1 ... SLKE008PJ1

Joy Peters - One Night In Love (Extended Version) (The best mix I've heard of this, ripped from vinyl by my buddy Bernard)
http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3S1L ... DYE0RO65AM

London Boys - Requiem (London Remix) (If you haven't heard this one, prepare to be knocked cold by one of the greatest hi-energy dance tracks ever recorded. Ripped from CD)
http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2Q6U ... 69V1H8M3CO

Modern Talking - In 100 Years (Future Mix) (The best legitimate dancy song by this goofball German duo. Love it love it love it. Ripped from CD)
http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0D3Y ... 6APEGVFBL1

Jessica - Like A Burning Star (Extended Remix) (I just love her voice. So sweet and fairylike.)
http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0ZED ... E1FSW6I80P
WaverBoy
Take On Me

Postby Plastik44 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:16 pm

Don't mean to offend, but these songs are....
and as I had to suffer from being bombed with all those Modern Talking tracks during the 80s (man, I couldn't even tell if their number 1 wasn't their last year's release - that's how similar their tunes sounded) I won't commit the mistake to give them a chance now.
Besides, both members of MT appear regularly on TV (one as jury member of German Idol, the other as host of `Formel Eins´, a retro-chart show) and gossip about each other. Whenever I happen to stumble across one of these faces my TV begins to weep, moan and beg for mercy...

But go ahead, I bet your post will attract many of those who liked them then and still do.

Plastik
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby lemmi1968 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:48 pm

[:D] *lol* i love those funny-cheapy Disco-Trax... Thank u!

@ plastik44: Ja, wir hier in Germany werden wohl NIE von Modern Talking verschont bleiben.... [:)]
lemmi1968
Personal Jesus

Postby WaverBoy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:38 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Plastik44[/i]
<br>Don't mean to offend, but these songs are....
and as I had to suffer from being bombed with all those Modern Talking tracks during the 80s (man, I couldn't even tell if their number 1 wasn't their last year's release - that's how similar their tunes sounded) I won't commit the mistake to give them a chance now.
Besides, both members of MT appear regularly on TV (one as jury member of German Idol, the other as host of `Formel Eins´, a retro-chart show) and gossip about each other. Whenever I happen to stumble across one of these faces my TV begins to weep, moan and beg for mercy...

But go ahead, I bet your post will attract many of those who liked them then and still do.

Plastik
[/quote]

So, you didn't like ANY of the songs I posted? I don't know how you can't like Tonight. Wonderful song. Oh well.

Re: Modern Talking, I think you should give In 100 Years a chance if you haven't heard it...it isn't really like their other '80s stuff. Much more clubby. Over here in the US, nobody even knows who they are. Nobody except us hardcore '80s EuroBeat music nerds...I think there must be at least twelve of us, surely...

Don't get me wrong, I think some of Modern Talking's '80s songs are horrible (Geronimo's Cadillac, for one), and their '90s and newer stuff is completely unlistenable. But a good chunk of their early stuff I like very much. And Dieter Bohlen KILLS me. Hilarious. What a goofball. Their videos are a laugh riot! Which one hosts Formel Eins? I'd love to have copies of all the old '80s music clips they showed on there.

I guess I've got a thing for people singing discoey songs with charmingly naive lyrics in English with foreign accents. And if that's wrong, I don't wanna be right. [8D]
WaverBoy
Take On Me

Postby Plastik44 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Ok,Waverboy, I can see your point but for me these guys are the incarnation of worst kitsch. I would tape the programme but the videos are never shown completely as it is only a retro-show. Actually, Thomas Angers - the presenter (the bloke with the NORA neckless) - makes fun of their stuff himself which earns him a point from me. Nevertheless, I think they'd still be polluting the musical world if the two of them didn't hate each other so much.
For you Non-Germans, unfamiliar with the whole episode of their splitting: after splitting up in the aftermath of a concert, Bohlen began to call himself `guitarist of Thomas Anders´ refering to the fact that Bohlen was the one who wrote all the songs and felt that he deserved all the credit. Bohlen then published a book (like so many other German no-name celebrities) spilling all sort of garbage about Anders and other celebreties, Anders sued him, forbidding certain passages to be published. Unfortunately, that gave the sales a big push. Anyway, both ended up in TV shows. The biggest laugh being Bohlen sitting in a casting show and sarcastically commenting on the abilities (esp. singing) of poor (well, not really - they must know that they make a fool of themselves) teenagers. I wonder where this guy takes the nerve to comment on something he's never experienced himself...
Plastik
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby lemmi1968 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:29 pm

You wanna see them....??? Really...???
Ok, go here: http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10972
lemmi1968
Personal Jesus

Postby 1980-F » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:09 pm

Hi, WaverBoy!

Here's another Modern Talking-"damaged" German. In some way I can understand you, because I sometimes also like trashy stuff and no one else understands, why I'm listening to it. As we all know it's just a matter of taste.
And of course, nobody is "forced" to download anything that is offered in this forum and there are a lot of other songs that are not New Wave, BUT:

Modern Talking on New Wave Outpost is a sacrilege!!!

There should be a filter: if anyone types the words "Modern Talking" here - he'll be banned forever! *joking* [;)]
1980-F
Personal Jesus

Postby Synthpopfan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:40 am

Thanks for Sharing WaverBoy.
Synthpopfan
Room at the Top

Postby WaverBoy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:58 am

Well, I'm glad a couple people appreciated my post...sniff sniff... [:(] [:)]

Re: '80s trash, better Modern Talking than Bryan Adams, I say. [:D]
WaverBoy
Take On Me

Postby luckyducky91 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:42 am

Thanks for the tracks. I have never heard anything from Modern Talking before. The song is pretty good untill they start singing.

thanks[:D]
luckyducky91
Take On Me

Postby WolverineSyr » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:56 am

Thanks Waver - I love that whole EuroDisco thing (actually "disco" of any variety,) and the cheesy, stupid queerness of it all is part of the appeal!
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Postby i_like_lectric_motors » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:26 pm

I was in Germany from '84-'89 and remember Modern Talking all too well. That's a funny story about the aftermath of their breakup. Seems like there's some very hurt feelings there - were they ever more than just friends/ bandmates?

BTW, does anyone know of any punk covers of Modern Talking songs? There just HAS to be some ...... [:D]
i_like_lectric_motors
Room at the Top

Postby Plastik44 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:56 pm

Punk covers of MT??? That would even interest me although I doubt that there were many serious punk bands that would give MT's songs such an honour. But you never know...
-
Waverboy, I didn't mean to question your taste or hurt your feelings. There's enough in the Eurodance section that I like but MT's a `No Go´. How about Gary Low's `I want you´(at least I think that is the title) or Lucia `Marinero´ or the Twins...
Anyway, so many here seem to enjoy such music so I'll stop complaining and hope for the next round.[;)]

Plastik
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby i_like_lectric_motors » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:24 am

<br>Punk covers of MT??? That would even interest me although I doubt that there were many serious punk bands that would give MT's songs such an honour. But you never know...

[/quote]

It would definitely have to be a band with a sense of humor [:D]like when Peter and the Test Tube Babies did the "Shit Factory" album with a Rick Astley cover of all things. Either that or sometimes a band will do a completely unexpected, uncharacteristic live cover (like Faith No More doing Mariah Carey's "Vision Of Love").[}:)]
i_like_lectric_motors
Room at the Top

Postby WaverBoy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:55 am

<br>Waverboy, I didn't mean to question your taste or hurt your feelings. There's enough in the Eurodance section that I like but MT's a `No Go´. How about Gary Low's `I want you´(at least I think that is the title) or Lucia `Marinero´ or if you had posted the Twins...
Anyway, so many here seem to enjoy your tracks so I'll stop complaining and hope for the next round.[;)]

Plastik
[/quote]

Plastik, no worries, feelings not hurt, everything's cool. As long as people don't get nasty or personal about things, or go out of their way to stir up a ruckus, it's ok. People have differing tastes. Like the masses nowadays who listen to Eminem, Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey, Nickelback, Kelly Clarkson, etc. etc. etc., and have no idea of who many of the bands talked about on this website are.

Haven't heard of those two songs you mentioned...if anyone could post them, I'd be grateful!

Re: the songs I posted not being New Wave, well, I think there's enough of a crossover in Italo/EuroDisco, though some songs more than others, certainly. I think it might be classified as a subgenre, or perhaps a sub-subgenre. For instance, you listen to Love Spy by Mike Mareen, or Chinese Eyes by Fancy, and tell me they don't sound New Wave. Tarzan Boy by Baltimora and Puttin' On The Ritz by Taco are also EuroBeat songs that are very New Wavy. I think the MT song I posted above is pretty underground clubby sounding, even >after< they start singing.

So, does no one else here besides me think that Tonight by Ken Laszlo is fantastic? Am I a fan club of one?
WaverBoy
Take On Me

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central