Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Cars 1st album

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

The Cars 1st album

Postby Alan » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:00 pm

Hi there

In a hazy sextion of my memiry I seem to recall seeing a video for a song off the 1st Cars album probbaly a decade or 2 ago on MTV. They were all sitting arround watching TV in the vid. It was maybe Best Freinds Girl or Just What I needed but I can't remember for sure and I have never seen it since. Can anyone confirm this for me. Cheers!

Alan
Alan
Running Up That Hill

Postby Panorama » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:19 pm

http://www.usats.com/dale/thecars/videos.html

Acorrding to this page on the cars they didn't do any videos for the first album. Looks like the video promotions started with the Panorama album (1980)

<hr noshade color="#999999" size="1" width="90%">
"Photography with a Vision"
http://www.cooganphoto.com
Panorama
Room at the Top

Postby Like_Music_88 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:19 am

The video clip you are thinking of is 'Since You're Gone' from the 'Shake It Up' album - I think that's what the album was called!

The band are set up around the lounge room and various things are happening around them.

The band didn't make any videos for their first two albums at all, which is strange considering they were quite a visual act! The footage provided for their major singles from their first two albums are simply live and television appearances. Even 'Let's Go' is a TV appearance.

I could ask Elliot Easton why they didn't make video until 1980 once he's off his CRR tour if you want?
Like_Music_88
Take On Me

Postby DevoDude » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:07 pm

If you believe you saw it about '78-79, its was more than likely the infamous "Moving In Stereo" video.

The video was "put together" for and/or by one of those LA TV shows about up-and-coming bands that used to come on late night (like Hollywood Heartbeat, but earlier). It used a great deal of bootleg home movies shot by friends and fans. It was never cleared by Elektra Records although Ben Orr was said to have given his input or blessing.

In the early days before MTV it showed up on all types of shows, because it was the ONLY Cars video to be found. Then "Touch and Go" showed up and Elektra killed the bootleg...

Michael
DevoDude
Running Up That Hill

Postby British » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:34 am

Are you referring to the Cars videos I saw on VH1 Classic that showed the band in a really small crowded club? Cool. Bootleggin'.

Avoid Panorama at all costs. It contained no memorable hits. Their first album and Candy-O are gold.
British
Room at the Top

Postby Panorama » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:31 pm

Avoid Panorama at all costs. It contained no memorable hits. Their first album and Candy-O are gold.

You are incorrect -- Panorama is a Masterpiece! I love that album.

Dan

<hr noshade color="#999999" size="1" width="90%">
Panorama
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:31 am

I don't know. Panorama was the first Cars album that I actually had to BUY. The first two I got through Campbell Soup label drives at my Catholic grade school. They were free AND great. Then I shelled out money for Panorama in high school, and I still remember feeling that that was a LOT of money I could have better spent on playing Tempest ;-)
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby SwampThing » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:48 am

That's OK Dan.

A lot of people think Ocasek's solo "Beatitude" wasn't too great, but I remember you mentioning it once (here or on pure obscure radio?) and I was thinking what a great albumn that is and know one ever mentions it. Different strokes folks!
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:01 am

Panorama was definitely the least "commercial" of The Cars albums. British is correct in that it didn't spawn the radio hits that the first 2 albums did, but that doesn't mean it was bad. It was much darker and moody. Personally, I loved Panorama.
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby jocko-kevo » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:07 am

Panarama was a great album. Candy-o was the best.
Hot cars and great looking women on a album cover gets my vote every time. I like the 340 duster on heartbeat city!
jocko-kevo
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:29 am

Count me as a fan of Panorama too. Gimme Some Slack, Touch and Go, Misfit Kid, Panorama. Great stuff!
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Sean » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:59 am

I'm supposedly getting videos for My Best Friend's Girl, Just What I Needed, and Let's Go. I can confirm for everyone once I get it in if there are videos for the Cars pre-Panorama.
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:57 am

Have any of you heard the 'THE CARS' Deluxe Edition CD? I just loaned it from the local library. It's 2 discs: the original album on disc 1, but the 2nd disc is a prize. Demo versions of all the songs, plus 5 unreleased songs from the same era. Really cool to hear it now, in retrospect.

Now I'm wondering if they did something similar for Candy-O or Panorama..
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:54 am

Yeah, that's an interesting collection. Those demo's were recorded before they landed their contract with Electra. Lot's of bands just starting out record demos of their stuff to send to clubs and record labels.

I doubt that demos exist of much later material, unless it was written earlier. There are a few early demo songs do appear on later albums; "The Cars Anthology" collection has several of them - "Nightspots" (from Candy-O) and "Leave Or Stay" and "Ta Ta Wayo Wayo" (from Door To Door).
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Panorama » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:24 am

Does anyone have an mpeg for any of the Cars / Ric Ocasek videos:

Touch and Go
Panorama
Shake It Up
Since You're Gone
You Might Think
Magic
Hello Again
Drive
Heartbeat City
Why Can't I Have You?
Tonight She Comes
You Are the Girl
Strap Me In
Ric Ocasek - Jimmy Jimmy
Ric Ocasek - Something to Grab For

I recently got an mpeg of Tonight She Comes, which is great to finally see.

---------------------------
Panorama
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Music Videos