Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Best New Wave video

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

Best New Wave video

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:59 am

Anybody want to submit their entry for best new wave video? Although overplayed at the time, my vote would probably go to Billy Idol - "Dancing with Myself". Classic song, the video peaked during new wave's heyday, Billy was at his best, even had some humour... and those dancing ghouls were pretty cool [^].

But Clash - "London Calling" was pretty cool too. And maybe a sentimental vote for Buggles? Damn, another impossible task!

Your favourites?
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Ollie Stench » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:54 pm

I always liked the video for White Wedding.
As much as I like DEVO I never thought much of their videos. Girl U Want is my fave, but that doesn't mean it's good.
Talking Heads Once In A Lifetime is a pretty good example of a new wave video.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:15 am

For me, I almost have to think what made a great new wave video was how tacky, un-professional and OUT THERE it was. (Not taking away how great a well-made video could be; I love the Duran videos from Rio).

The first one that sprang to mind was Madness' "One Step Beyond", which was pretty weird and goofy. I doubt anyone would've won any awards for it, but it was fun to see.

On Billy Idol - - I love that song, but just hate the way he co-opted a Generation X song (then Gen X) and turned it into his own release. I had been listening to that song on the Gen X 'Kiss Me Deadly' lp for a couple years before Billy got saturation play on MTV using only his name....
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby oneno » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:51 am

Fascination by the Human League is so "esque" but what about "AHA-Take on me" to be the quintessential new wave vid.
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:36 am

Berlin "The Metro" would be my pick
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:31 am

My favourite is Talk Talk's "Such A Shame". It's funny to see all of Mark Hollis' facial expressions. Some runner ups:

1) Duran Duran - Planet Earth
2) Pseudo Echo - A Beat For You
3) Hubert Kah - Angel 07
4) The Cure - Charlotte Sometimes
5) Alphaville - Big In Japan
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:51 am

Some really great videos mentioned here... makes me willing to invest some more time waiting for the odd gem on VH-1 Classics...

Same as it ever was... same as it ever was... (is this the one where Byrne does the 'arm chop'? what was up with that? pure wackiness?)
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:13 am

bpdp3 - yes, 'tacky, unprofessional, and OUT THERE' are great characteristics for a nw vid (like the music itself???). "Take on Me" is a great vid too - but maybe a bit too professional? Certainly deserves tons of credit for creativity, like Godley & Creme's "Cry". Although 'produced', "Dancing with Myself" was still pretty rough around the edges, I think.

BTW I agree with your comment about Billy Idol usurping Dancing With Myself. I too had the Gen X lp and ep long before Billy Idol started marketing himself (ready? ready! steady? steady! goooo!). But he did help the song become an unoffical anthem of the new wave generation... X. Got enough attention to be mocked by David Lee Roth too - gotta love that!
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby bpdp3 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:23 pm

That A-ha clip is a good one - maybe there's two stages of new wave video: the 'lovably tacky, less-professional' stage and the 'well-made video' stage. A-ha would certainly fall in the latter.

Due to it's timeframe, new wave will always be tied in with the advent of MTV and the music-video genre. A new wave video from 1981 sure looks different from one from 1985. I think I'm partial to the earlier ones since that when I first discovered the rush of the music.

How about this question - - would we all be sitting around talking about new wave twenty years later if new wave had NOT coincided with the start of MTV?? Would new wave have existed without it - - or did the visual nature of the new wave groups help bring about MTV??

I think new wave would have occured regardless, but we may not have had such a large number of groups without it.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby unguarded moment » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:02 am

"Whip-it" by DEVO is one that always comes to mind.
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby Ollie Stench » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:16 am

The question "would New Wave have been as big without MTV"?

Hmmm, I was into the music by 1979, I didn't get cable until 1984. For me half the fun was searching for new bands and sounds, not just having it delivered to your living room.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:26 am

Ollie, not only do I agree with you, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that THAT is why the internet (and easy downloads)have removed a crucial element for the young 'new wave/alternative' music fan - - you don't have to sweat too much to appreciate it nowadays.

Please skip all comments about me having to "walk to school uphill both ways in the good old days".......
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby DevoManiac101 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:20 am

I would have to say Buggles - "Living In The Plastic Age" that is my number 1# pick of all time, some others i would have to go with would be.. Cabaret Voltaire-Sensoria, Haysi Fantayzee-Shiny Shiny, Men Without Hats-Where Do The Boys Go? and last but not least Todd Rundgren-Something To Fall Back On

Thanks
DevoManiac101
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:45 am

I also love the following videos:

Hunting High & Low - A-ha
The Different Story - Peter Schilling
Hands To Heaven - Breathe

Sean
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Kingofpain » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:34 pm

The Cure - In Between Days
Duran Duran - Girls on Film
The Police - Every Breath You Take, Wrapped Around Your Finger
"I've brainsss you've got the looksss" Pet Shop boys obviously..looks like a videogame to me
Depeche Mode- Stripped
New Order - Blue Monday
Poison - Talk dirty to- JUST KIDDING heh
Kingofpain
Switchin' to Glide

Next

Return to Music Videos