Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Pure '80s The Ultimate DVD Box

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

Pure '80s The Ultimate DVD Box

Postby pinkyblue82 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:17 am

Does anyone have a complete track listing for this 3 dvd set being released this Tuesday?
pinkyblue82
Personal Jesus

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:08 am

No tracklistings but I found out who some of the artists are:

Duran Duran, A-ha, Scorpions, Faith No More, Blondie, Devo, Soft Cell, Madness, Frankie, Lionel Richie, and Wang Chung

Looks extremely poppy unless the rest of the videos do not follow in the vein of this original list.
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:22 am

Anyone pick this up yet? I looked for it instores but as usual, nothing. Okay, well, they had the old single disc release.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:22 am

I've seen it in the stores in Southern CA. Three discs, first disc being very New Wave, second disc being New Wave/Pop, and third disc being Heavy Metal. Here are the videos that I think I remember seeing.

A-ha - Take On Me
Frankie - Relax
Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
Quarterflash - Harden My Heart
and more

Some pretty cool videos but very mainstream.
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:21 am

Here's a review I found:

[i]First off, this three-disc set is nowhere near being authoritative -- that is a given. But what you do get are 45 of the most memorable music videos of the 1980s. Each DVD includes 15 classics presented in both high-quality PCM stereo and 5.1 Surround playback options with equally stunning graphics to match. It's worth mentioning that each of these titles can be purchased separately. Plus, trivia buffs and info-overload geeks (like yours truly) will love the fact-filled liner inserts.

Totally New Wave­ appropriately begins with the very first video to air on MTV -- The Buggles' prophetic "Video Killed The Radio Star." What follows are over a dozen of the most unforgettable clips ranging from the DIY tongue-in-cheek madness of Devo's "Whip It," to the rarely-broadcast 'banned version' of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's one-hit wonder "Relax." Other favourites include Blondie's "Rapture," Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out," -- which looks remarkable by the way -- Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf," and the animation-driven "Take On Me" from A-Ha.

Video Idols are just that with more mini musical movies that made it into MTV's 'heavy' rotation. Or at least it seemed that every time you'd tune in, you'd see super-group Asia's "Heat Of The Moment," or Wang Chung's inescapable party-anthem "Everybody Have Fun Tonight." Watch long enough and Lionel Ritchie's "Hello" would pop up. If memory recalls, this is the video where Ritchie tries to teach a blind woman to sculpt. I hate to be the one to break it to her, but she needed more lessons. On the plus side, the early '80s entries have never looker sharper. Most specifically J. Geils Band's "Centerfold," and Quarterflash's "Harden My Heart" -- the latter of which is notable for the visual nod to Roman Polanski's cinematic masterwork Repulsion (1965).

As if there were ever a question, the final volume in the Pure '80s: The Ultimate DVD Box confirms that Headbangers Rule! Well, they certainly do when you've got a collection featuring the likes of Dio's "Holy Diver," the Scorpions' "Rock You Like A Hurricane," Rainbow's "Street Of Dreams," Y&T's seasonally appropriate "Summertime Girls," and Queensryche's "I Don't Believe In Love." Plus, hair metal deities Cinderella ("Shake Me") and Great White ("Once Bitten, Twice Shy") make an appearance as well.

Again it bears repeating the sound is superb and the visuals are sharp and well-defined throughout. Here's hoping that there are more volumes to come in the series.[/i]

-- http://www.musictap.net/AsTheDiscSpins/ ... ml#Pure80s
obs
Room at the Top

Postby torypsx » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:18 pm

if anyone is familiar with samsclub I saw it there today for $28.99

Duty Now For The Future
torypsx
Switchin' to Glide

Postby MARV » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:57 pm

I could be wrong but I think you need to be a member of Sam's Club to sho pthere. If so, here's another great source to buy the set, $27.99:

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?H ... search=yes

<a href="http://www.worldwildlife.org/cetaceans/index.cfm">I dig whales.</a>
MARV
Room at the Top

Return to Music Videos