Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out

Postby schwenko » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:58 pm

The Film Society of Lincoln Center is showing a series of rock films, including Julian Cope's "Glastonbury". a documentary on Mission of Burma, and Stewart Copeland's history of the Police film, "Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out", a film composed of his own filming of the Police throughout their existence. This film has been shown intermittently at film festivals throughout the world (LA, Toronto), and now makes a NYC appearance. August 5th 2006

http://www.filmlinc.com/wrt/onsale/rock ... tares.html
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:07 am

I saw this film at Lincoln Center last night... quite well done with footage I gurantee you haven't seen elsewheres!
Just a few quick notes...

Stewart Copeland was there to introduce the film ("Just remember it's only home movies") and for an extended Q & A afterwards. Quite the extrovert!

He announced that "NOw that you are all here tonight, I want to tell you that this film will be shown tomorrow (August 6, 2006) on Showtime". Also, the film (+20-25 minutes of extra material) will,be released on DVD in September.

I asked if there would ever be a commercial dvd release of Urgh. He answered that many people had asked him that question and that the movie seemed to have a cult following ("it showed in LA last night"), but he doubted that it would ever be released. This was after an extended explanantion of the difficult process of obtaining permission to clear the rights to the songs and television material in his film. For example, for a song, he needed to get the permission of the singer, the songwriter, the music publisher and the record company (who owns the rights/original tapes).

After a few photos, collages, spoken explanation etc, the film begins in 1978, when after the Police had achieved a small measure of success in England, Copeland had some spare change in his pocket which he used to purchase a Super 8 camera. The resulting "home movies" of the police form the rest of the film. I suppose that some of the time that people other than Copeland was holding the camera since he was in the film most of the time. The film itself consists of what you might envision, small clips of performances, backstage, studio footage, hotel rooms, screaming fans, sheep in Australia, video shoots, etc etc.

And the music! Sounded great on the sound system (this IS Lincoln Center, you know[:)]. I was thinking to myself that I needed to refresh my aural knowledge of the Police since, while the songs sounded Police-ish I wasn't immediately recognizing things. Copeland later explained that he had "deconstructed" the music, hence my confusion. But with Copoeland's voiceover commentaries, captions and the glorious music I would highly recommend a viewing.

PS Before heading to Lincoln Center I dropped into an oldtime NWO citizen, Mr W Waukena himself, who was looking mighty fit, having lost 60 pounds in the last 6 months! Good to see you again Wayne!

np Fallout
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:20 am

Wow, that sounds extraordinary, Schwenk! A Q&A with Stewart Copeland, never before seen home movies of the Police, a deconstructed soundtrack and all of this at NYC's Lincoln Center.....incredible [|)] Let us know when the DVD drops! Thanks for sharing, as always!

<a href="http://www.worldwildlife.org/cetaceans/index.cfm">I dig whales.</a>
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Mechi » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:38 am

I'm glad you've described the film for us!!! [:D]
I hope that it gets to Argentina.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/mechigc
Mechi
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:15 pm

From Sting's website:

Stewart Copeland's movie about The Police 'Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out' will be broadcast several times this month on the SHOWTIME and SHOWTIME 2 channel in the USA.

Scheduled broadcast dates and times are as follows:

August 6 @ 8.30pm ET
August 9 @ 10pm ET
August 12 @ 11pm ET
August 18 @ 10pm ET (SHOWTIME2)
August 22 @ 6.45pm ET
August 24 @ 6.15pm ET (SHOWTIME2)
August 30 @ 9pm ET (SHOWTIME2)
August 31 @ 6.45pm ET
schwenko
Room at the Top

Return to Music Videos