Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Question about MTV2 A-Z marathon in 2000

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

Question about MTV2 A-Z marathon in 2000

Postby rockadelic » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:54 am

MTV said they were going to play all 19,000 in 4 months.
They palyed less than 15,000 in 3 months.
MTV said they would play the rest of the unplayed videos
(mostly New Wave and Alternative) the next year.

Did that ever happen?
rockadelic
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Rubellan » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:33 pm

NO! The reason they only played about 15,000 was because they lied. They dropped an average of 2 or 3 programmed videos every single hour, purely to ensure they did not go over. Sometimes, these dropped videos were inserted in the second 12 hour rebroadcast. Another HUGE amount of videos were not played because they have been deemed "Restricted". Their claim was they could not play them without seeking a new clearance from the record label. This turned out to be bullshit because I managed to get them to play a number of these "Restricted" videos during my 3 years of pulling strings behind the scenes at VH1 Classic. So basically a number of those videos will never air again unless they get a video-on-demand channel going, and include their entire catalog, which has all been uploaded to their servers, and available at the push of a button.

Scott
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby rockadelic » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:53 am

Is there even a short list of new wave videos not played? Sounds like whoever was able to get that marathon on air was not able to hold back the powers to be that were opposed to it from the start. So many rap videos were played rather than new wave/alternative is a bad sign from the start.
rockadelic
Switchin' to Glide

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:04 am

A lot of people sized up right away that most of the vids that got dumped were in the new wave genre. What else is new.

I'm still peeved about a couple I was really jonesing to see again (that have yet to pop up on YouTube) -- Keats' "Turn Your Heart Around" and Combonation's "Girls Like You."

That's of course assuming they were ever on the playlist to begin with. Steel Breeze's "You Don't Want Me Anymore" certainly was not -- and it was one of their heaviest-rotated videos of 1982.

--
<u>[b]YouTube Video of the Week[/b]</u>

The Monitors - Nobody Told Me
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WBJWLOojzNk
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Return to Music Videos