Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

OMD-Souvenir dvd

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

Postby Plastik44 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:55 am

To tell you the truth, I will email the producer tomorrow and demand a new copy. Neither does it have chapter stops, nor a menu, nor does it run smoothly. I have several glitches which are clearly a problem with the production not my DVD player. It looks a bit like the DVD has been clobbed together in a hurry...
I will now try to look if the last ten to fifteen minutes and see if Andy and Paul really have turned into Martians - because that's what the DVD makes them look like - pixels everywhere, green and pink[xx(].
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby Plastik44 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:20 am

Damn. The DVD plays fine on my MAC. Anyway, chapters are missing, no menu. I will copy that thing and see if the copy plays better on my standalone. Good luck to you, schwenko. Hope your copy runs perfectly.
And if you have chapters and menu let me know.
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby DreamRedux » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:12 am

Sadly, the DVD has no chapters. Andy indicates this is because it would have added to the expense, which would have been passed on to us. (Personally, I think US$53 (with shipping) is quite enough!)[:I]

I have not received my copy yet, but I hope OMD won't look like Martians!! [:0]

On another note, here is a <a href="http://www.omd.uk.com/html/interviews/int_robf.html">a brief Q&A with Rob Finighan</a>. It dovetails nicely with his <a href="http://www.myspace.com/omdthemovie">blog</a>.
DreamRedux
Personal Jesus

Postby obs » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:38 pm

[i]Sadly, the DVD has no chapters. Andy indicates this is because it would have added to the expense, which would have been passed on to us.[/i]

What a load of horse dung. It takes very little skill to add chapter marks. I would have done it for a demo copy of the DVD [:o)].
obs
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:55 pm

Is it possible to add chapter marks to the dvd then? Is it copy-protected?
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Plastik44 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:27 am

OBS is absolutely right about the effort making chapters for a DVD. I don't think that they invested in copy-protection, so I guess my DVD will receive some chapters and menu in a while[:D].
I hope by doing my own little version I finally come up with a result that I can watch on my standalone without the Martian look[:o)]. As I've said, on my Mac it played fine.

It would also been nice to get at least some live performances from their tour. I've seen them in Cologne and they were absolutely fantastic - makes me wish I had the guts to take a camera with me.
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby DreamRedux » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:12 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Plastik44[/i]
<br>OBS is absolutely right about the effort making chapters for a DVD. I don't think that they invested in copy-protection, so I guess my DVD will receive some chapters and menu in a while[:D]. [/quote]
Ooooooh. How is this done? Do tell! [:D]

[quote][i]Originally posted by Plastik44[/i]
<br>It would also been nice to get at least some live performances from their tour. I've seen them in Cologne and they were absolutely fantastic - makes me wish I had the guts to take a camera with me. [/quote]
There are LOTS and LOTS of kewl youtube clips from the recent tour. [8D] Also, <a href="http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20428">a live DVD of the A&M tour is being produced</a>. Something to look forward to! [:)]
DreamRedux
Personal Jesus

Postby Plastik44 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:32 am

Great news. I'll get me that A&M tour DVD.
Although I sometimes have a look at youtube, I detest the bad quality of the videos. Anything that is below excellent VHS quality in 720x540 is not my cup of tea. I want things I can enjoy on my standalone player.
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby obs » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:31 am

For Windows, if you want to make chapter points:
- remove any copy-protection from DVD (eg. rip DVD to HDD)
- use TMPGEnc DVD Author (commercial software, demo available)
- open the DVD files in DVD Author (make sure PAL project is selected)

Well, the rest you'll have to figure out. DVD Author is pretty simple to figure out. You just go through the video clip and drop a chapter point (Flag icon) wherever you want a new chapter. When done, you just output everything to a new set of DVD files (it's a lossless process).

There's probably ways to do it using freeware, but I use DVD Author.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby DreamRedux » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:23 am

Thanks, OBS!

I got a card from the post office yesterday which I signed and put back out today, so I hope to finally have the DVD this weekend. [:)]
DreamRedux
Personal Jesus

Postby DreamRedux » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:49 am

A delight to watch! I liked the personal stories and dissection of the songs.

The Live DVD will dovetail perfectly with this documentary, since its focus is on OMD's history up until Architecture & Morality.

Thumbs up! [:D]

Oh yeah, and it played perfectly on my DVD player! [:)]
DreamRedux
Personal Jesus

Postby Plastik44 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:36 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by DreamRedux[/i]
<br>A delight to watch! I liked the personal stories and dissection of the songs.

The Live DVD will dovetail perfectly with this documentary, since its focus is on OMD's history up until Architecture & Morality.

Thumbs up! [:D]

Oh yeah, and it played perfectly on my DVD player! [:)]
[/quote]

When will the live DVD be released? Is there already a way to order it?
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby DreamRedux » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 am

<a href="http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20428">The Live DVD thread is here</a>.

There is no way to order it yet. A release date likely won't be announced until early next year. The original release date was November 1, but that was pushed back to give them time to edit it some more. Cool extras are being hinted at. Apparently, Malcolm speaks! - unlike on Souvenir.
DreamRedux
Personal Jesus

Postby Plastik44 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:12 pm

I've heard rumours of an unofficial version of that same DVD doing the rounds a while ago. Anybody have this[:D]?
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby DreamRedux » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:02 am

For anyone hesitating to order, OMD fan Si Wooldridge has posted <a href="http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/reviews/review.asp?Index=6099&User=35366">a review at DVD Reviewer</a> to whet your appetite.

<a href="http://www.omd-dvd.com/">Copies are still available!</a>
DreamRedux
Personal Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to Music Videos