Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Laserdisc

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

Laserdisc

Postby elviscaprice » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:11 am

Has anyone here had good luck with recording Laserdisc to a computer hard drive? Going to give it a shot with the Naked Eyes vids. Have an idea on how I'm going to set it up, but would rather run it direct into the computer. Humm, any ideas on how best to achieve the best results?
Elvis
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby eighties » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:56 am

We should talk. I have been transferring from laserdisc for some time now. Currently using a pioneer CDL-939 Japanese laserdisc player, Canopus ADVC-300 and Adobe Premire. Currently have over 10,000 music videos. Laserdisc, Beta, VHS and DVD.

All the best,
eighties
eighties
Personal Jesus

Postby ModernEnglish » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Laserdisc is GREAT to transfer from because usually the audio is good to go. Something I can't always say for VHS.

Eighties, you use a capture card and then encode? Wouldn't a DVD recorder work much better these days?
ModernEnglish
Running Up That Hill

Postby elviscaprice » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Modern English, for the most part you are correct. Your only as good as the weakest link. From what I have seen all laserdisc players can only send signal out by S-video or RCA, no HDMI or other digital format. Although some of the last recent Pioneer models can send out a digital sound. How to capture this with a card is above me at this point. Therefore a higher quality DVD recorder has worked best for me.
If recorded correctly, shouldn't need much touching up, other than little lighting or added volume level. I use 3 different softwares for the production work depending on the source. Why I don't just use Adobe, I don't know, never got around to it.

But if your going to go all the way with laserdiscs might as well go the distance for perfection. LOL
Damn, that Naked Eyes LD was defective, the last video would not play properly, tried cleaning, no go. Even had a hard time getting the player to play it.
But I did get a few treasures with the purchase of the Laserdisc player, J. Geils Band, Thomas Dolby, all 8" discs.
Also got a bunch of other not so new wave titles, 25 in all. A steal for a $100, plays well the player although an older model, Pioneer CLD-D501
For me, would rather have quality over quantity at this point.

Oh yeah, also the Picture Music LD, nice, same lineup as the VHS tape. That Kim Carnes and Naked Eyes vids, nice.
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby eighties » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:06 am

Here is an article from a very informative site about <a href="http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/current-recommendations-for-laserdisc-conversion-t362850.html">DVD recorders vs capture cards</a> for laserdisc.
I personally use a capture card for uncompressed editing, but for most a quality DVD recorder will do.
btw, many of the 8" laserdiscs were repressed after the initial run to include digital audio.
Just look for the digital audio text logo on the front of the jacket.

All the best,
eighties
eighties
Personal Jesus

Postby elviscaprice » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:12 am

Thanks Eighties for the additional info. But your post only brings more questions about your methods. If you are cutting your videos uncompressed, then are you storing them so? If the laserdisc sound is digital then how do you capture that in digital format?
OOps, think I have thought of a possible solution, thanks for inspiring me to pusue a similiar method.

Nope, I'm back to where I started. Your only as good as your weakest link. Many of these videos from the 80's were never shot in that high of a quality, you can't make more out of what ya got, you can spread whip cream on it and you still got s***.

My biggest reason for messing around with uncompressed feed would be to get better audio. Don't see where that would make a difference from the DVD recorder to the direct feed/software,codec, etc. #1 reason Rock America's are so desirable is the quality audio they did their vids in.

The laser discs I have are in stereo, but even if they were digital it would be a task and money to set up the right equipement and software to take advantage of it, to gain what little more in quality. I still may play around with the uncompressed feed onto the drive with something unique and of quality. Otherwise make the best of the source material, keep looking for better quality source.

3 reasons why we don't see alot of these vids redone into DVD format, rights, lack of good source material, profit (not enough demand to warrant the cost if even possible)
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby eighties » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:24 am

The Pioneer CDL-939 has digital audio coax output and digital audio optical.
As I said before, for most, a quality DVD recorder will do.
I just like uncompressed source material to work with.
And yes, your final result is only as good as the quality of your source material AND your playback equipment. (damn Beta HI-FI still sounds good, even on a 20+ year old Rockamerica tape)
Rockamerica was great in the beginning, but have been surpassed recently by other video subscription services in terms of audio/video quality.

All the best,
eighties
eighties
Personal Jesus

Postby ModernEnglish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Great info guys, thanks. I learned something new, don't use s-video when capturing from LD. I wish I knew that back in 2004 when I captured a bunch of my LDs using the s-video. But yeah, I also like to go lossless for source, and I did back in the day. I think if I was ripping my vids again, I'd just compromise with a dvd recorder these days. I always keep my source material, just in case I need it in the future.
ModernEnglish
Running Up That Hill

Postby Plastik44 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:07 am

I also use a Pioneer (don't know what model). Bought it as a bargain because it could playback NTSC and PAL. I simply use a scart connection with line out chinch and connect it with my Panasonic DVD-Recorder. The result's always been great, at least as long the LD would still play.
Btw, I have the Naked Eyes 8" here. If you're still in need of it, I'll give it a go this weekend and see if I can up the last track.

The best deal I've made so far was my recent purchase of a Panasonic NV-W1E format converting VHS recorder. I connect my VHS Player / my DVD Player or the LD Player with it and then back to my DVD-Recorder. The results are flawless. I even tested the conversion from NTSC to PAL with NTSC DVDs and ta-da...a dream come true for 60 Euros.
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby elviscaprice » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:23 am

Thanks Plastik. Got some special cleaner on the way to see if its just a scratch and not Rot.
I've been using that converter type style you described for some time now to get around copy protection on VHS tapes or to convert PAL to NTSC and then record on the DVD recorder.
Note: You do lose a small amount of quality with the converter so try not to use it if possible. Of course with Laserdisc there is no copy right protection so you must be using it for conversion from PAL laserdisc to NTSC. Of course with DVD's you just rip them off on the computer. In fact I just leave them in VOB. format, it would appear you do to, from the videos I received from you. Although I have yet to figure out how to rip off the Century Fox disc's with their silly codec design, but I just do what you described with the converter from DVD player to a separate DVD recorder. Definite loss of quality on the visual not the audio.
Just got in the Stranglers 12" Meninblack LD. Japanese, awesome quality. Slight variation on the track "Always the Sun" with the sunny side-up mix). But the upgrade on European Female blows away my RA version plus all the added additionsl vids. Did I say awesome? AWESOME!!
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby elviscaprice » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 am

Modern English, Plastik, Eighties, we gotta set up some trades in material, since it would seem that everyone has their own method of conversion, we could trade up or better yet borrow out material to one another. Just a thought if you were interested. Open to suggestions. For now I been purchasing mine. Always interested in saving a buck.
Next fall I plan on selling my entire collection of original material. Why hang on to it. It's converted and backed up digitally in full form. Can't take it with me once I depart or can you sneak a player with you?
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby ModernEnglish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:54 pm

I'd be up for trading, but all my stuff is in storage while I'm working away from home right now.
ModernEnglish
Running Up That Hill

Postby elviscaprice » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Plastik,
I would appreciate a copy of that last 8" Naked Eyes video, mine just won't work. That is the vid, Voices In My Head.
In return, I'll rework that Lotus Eaters vid you wanted that I gave you, I have a better picture quality but terrible sound. I'll rip off the audio track on the RA vid and replace it on the better picture vid. Anyways, I would appreciate it.
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby Plastik44 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:13 pm

For the laserdisc I usually go directly into the DVDrecorder.
But I was happy about the Pana because I finally get good results converting from NTSC to PAL, which has been an impossible undertaking before. Still, I have to admit, it isn't as perfect as I thought. Though mostly the movements are smooth, sometimes I do get jerky results in sequences with slow camera movements. I must say I'm surprised as this problems normally only appeared when the movements were fast. I pray that someday a programme for the MAC will see the light that simply converts NTSC to PAL in next to no time and for a reasonable price without these flaws. I'm so tired of these format problems. Why couldn't they decide on a worldwide standard anyway? It is just beyond me.

I'll give the Naked Eyes a go during the weekend and will up the tracks for you if they are ok. I'll keep it in NTSC, so that you don't have to bother about the problem described above. Btw, I like the approach of simply helping each other out. That said, if someone wants to trade, I'm open for it too.

Regarding the Lotus E vid. Let me have a look first if I don't have it in better quality already. I do have some RA tapes and I probably just didn't remember I had that track. Actually I never went through them - too busy with work.

Let us just post videos here, that have a good quality. I don't care much for rarities if you can't enjoy watching them completely because you wish the quality was better.
Plastik44
Personal Jesus

Postby elviscaprice » Sat May 01, 2010 9:58 am

Plastik, don't worry about PAL or NTSC, I save my videos in both formats, it doesn't matter. I play all my videos off of hard drives in VJ software for VJ's or on a hacker media player, these players can play just about any media type with the codec in place. In fact I prefer the format in which it was originally recorded.
Yes, I never use Apple products, difficult to find software for doing somewhat devious things.

Having a heck of a time with my laserdisc player on 8" discs. Seems to skip and have problems on quite a few discs towards the end of play. 12", no problem yet. Does anyone else have this difficulty?

Elvis
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to Music Videos