Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Desperately Seeking 2 Rare 80s Music Videos

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

Desperately Seeking 2 Rare 80s Music Videos

Postby tglopez » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:30 am

For a few years now, I've been desperately seeking clips of Rubber Rodeo's "Jolene" and My Mine's "Hypnotic Tango" (a black and white version that featured dances through the decades).

Willing to pay $$ to get either or both clips -- or would love to know where they might be posted online.

Any help is appreciated.

Ambient
tglopez
Take On Me

Postby elviscaprice » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:50 am

[quote]Originally posted by tglopez
[br]For a few years now, I've been desperately seeking clips of Rubber Rodeo's "Jolene" and My Mine's "Hypnotic Tango" (a black and white version that featured dances through the decades).

Willing to pay $$ to get either or both clips -- or would love to know where they might be posted online.

Any help is appreciated.

Ambient
[/quote]

Find the September of 1981 RockAmerica release and you've got Jolene. I've never seen it, must not be a very good video to not have made it into other formats. Somebody's got to have this release, although I'm sure the sound has something to desire.
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby flamingoland » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:20 pm

I've JUST put this video up on youtube, it was part of a series of local cable shows (club genius, starring Rudy Cheeks) on Cox that I was putting onto DVDs for Bruce (Rudy). He asked permission from Bob Holmes of RR so it's on youtube now. The quality is not great (I was coverting from VHS to DVD and the VHS was original), but it's there.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/flamingo55">http://www.youtube.com/flamingo55</a>  it should be the most recent one I've uploaded
flamingoland
Running Up That Hill

Postby tglopez » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Wow...this is great! Thanks so much for posting. I've also sent a note to Gary Lieb (RR keyboards), who I've been keeping in touch with.

[quote][i]Originally posted by flamingoland[/i]
<br>I've JUST put this video up on youtube, it was part of a series of local cable shows (club genius, starring Rudy Cheeks) on Cox that I was putting onto DVDs for Bruce (Rudy). He asked permission from Bob Holmes of RR so it's on youtube now. The quality is not great (I was coverting from VHS to DVD and the VHS was original), but it's there.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/flamingo55">http://www.youtube.com/flamingo55</a>  it should be the most recent one I've uploaded
[/quote]
tglopez
Take On Me

Postby Yachtingtype » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:19 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by elviscaprice[/i]
<br>[quote]Originally posted by tglopez
[br]For a few years now, I've been desperately seeking clips of Rubber Rodeo's "Jolene" and My Mine's "Hypnotic Tango" (a black and white version that featured dances through the decades).

Any help is appreciated.

Ambient
[/quote]

Find the September of 1981 RockAmerica release and you've got Jolene. I've never seen it, must not be a very good video to not have made it into other formats. Somebody's got to have this release, although I'm sure the sound has something to desire.
[/quote]

I believe I have that reel on VHS somewhere, it is a dub but I am 99% certain I do have it somewhere in my "mess."
Yachtingtype
The Jet Set

Postby elviscaprice » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:10 pm

LOL, yes organization is the biggest time consumer and battle for VJ/collector enthusiasts. To be able to quickly find something and access it. Thank goodness for the PC and harddrives.
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby Yachtingtype » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:45 pm

I have everything scattered all over the place, I'd say only 20% of what I have copied is not even labeled. I do own over 100+ original tapes, however my Umatic player broke 3 years ago and I never found the motivation to purchase a new one. I'll have to find some time to go thru all that I have. I know I have some rare music videos that never appeared on any video pool subscription tapes.
Yachtingtype
The Jet Set

Postby elviscaprice » Wed May 04, 2011 10:38 pm

Yaht, you should get all those umatic tapes digitized. Not going to do anyone any good, including yourself to die with em. I'm sure someone on here has an operable umatic player. But it's going to take an awful lot of work to transfer and edit or even remaster. Rock America has been making noise like they are going to start giving access to their library, but if some of their releases and quality have any say its not going to be all that great, looks like many of their masters have degragated. Your umatics are probably better quality Yaht.
And so the clock keeps ticking. LOL, yo included.
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby Yachtingtype » Thu May 05, 2011 4:01 am

I know what you are saying, I just simply do not have the time and I basically gave up on the whole music video collecting gig when I realized my main wants were not going to surface anytime soon. I have a decent collection of reels and many are not even your main "pool" sources, most are from record labels that put out their own video compilations back in the day. I also have some rare music videos that are not available on any format but recorded from local television stations that would run music videos after hours. Are you looking for any specific music videos or complete reels? I may have something you are in need of. I really do need to get the ball rolling but it's just an absolute mess and I have no motivation to get anything sorted. I can assure you, I have some really cool videos in my collection.
Yachtingtype
The Jet Set

Postby elviscaprice » Thu May 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Yaht, I hear ya. My first question is, What are your wants?
You may have some interesting videos that I would like, but for me it's as much about quality as quantity. This opens up another whole can of worms, transfer quality, remaster, replacing the sound track on the video. I've spent the last 8 years digitizing and editing so that I can play quality sounding vids from my labtop to any television/stereo, wherever I'm at in the world.

It's more about you and your needs. I have the setup and knowledge to do lossless digital transfers fairly quick, but it's not exactly cheap in cost. Hard drives being the biggest cost and finding a quality umatic player may not be so easy. But once I have it rolling it could go quick. That's actually the easy part. The hard part and painstackingly part is the actual editing/masking/labeling. But at least once the lossless transfers are complete, you can take your leasure time in performing the editing/masking/labeling. I suspect there may be a market in the selling of the lossless transfers to other parties? I wouldn't know what the copyright implications would be but you could always just trade out.

I've just come to the conclusion it's probably better to do something now than wait till my death bed. To hoard and die with the collection does me no good, especially since I couldn't even enjoy viewing the collection at will. If you don't have the time to do the transfer work then your going to need to trust another party to do it for you. I guess the next question would be what do you expect or want out of it, and what would the other party want or expect out of it. Or you could just wait it out, technology and software are making huge advances everyday. Could be an easier solution that you could accomplish yourself will become available (at least cheaper with hard drives getting larger and cheaper) but with analog to digital transfer it's still going to require to play and record at the analog speed. It could be that it becomes impossible with no solution the longer you wait, degragation of material, analog equipement impossible to find in working order.

Myself, I could probably do a quick transfer of your material to hard drives and then over time painstakingly do the editing in Adobe Premeir CS5. But I was planning on heading back out of the country for a year here and would have to complete the transfers here in the U.S, soon. In fact I still have enough material to edit for the next 2 years/ vhs, laserdisc, dvd, lol. But I'm always looking for better quality material.

Elvis
P.S. I got a find a better hobby than this in retirement.
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Return to Music Videos