Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Yes "Leave It" alternate videos

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

Yes "Leave It" alternate videos

Postby maccafan076 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:31 pm

I read that when MTV premered the Yes video for "Leave It" they showed 18 different versions of it in a row. Has anyone come across these alternate versions.
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Re: Yes "Leave It" alternate videos

Postby elviscaprice » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:46 pm

Great tune. One of my YES favorites. The video is a heavily technical alteration for it's time. I'm guessing that there was multiple alterations technically and that the general feel of the video is not much different. I highly doubt there would be 18 different shootings for this video. Therefore if you have the one original it more than suffices for the other technical alternate versions.

8) Elvis
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby maccafan076 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:58 am

From what I understand the main video is a combo of the other ones so you would be right. Someone had said that they remember over 200 versions of it. That sounds very off.
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:44 pm

if you believe wikipedia:

A music video was made for the song, directed by Godley and Creme. It was shot upside-down and was one of the first music videos to utilize computer-generated imagery. Eighteen different variations of the video were made (the first one, for instance, simply had the band upside-down, but motionless for the whole song), with the eleventh one chosen as the "standard" version, and has remained the "official" video. A half-hour documentary on the making of the video was broadcast on MTV in 1984. Also, a marathon showing all eighteen videos one after the other was also shown on MTV.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Return to Music Videos