Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

New Order news

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

Postby Sean » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:49 am

Michael, I think we got the same batch of dvd's and we live in different states. My discs were in the wrong boxes too. [:)] I was nervous for a moment cause I thought I had two of the same disc in two different boxes. One more little complaint is my liner notes were kind of smashed on the side. I hate it when they destroy liner notes and inlay cards. It makes the value of the item go down, at least in my opinion.

I'm so happy they decided to release this dvd though. It's about time. Now if we can only convince the respective labels to release dvd's from:

OMD
Clan of Xymox
The Fixx (all the videos, not just the five)
Hubert Kah
Depeche Mode (the rest of the stuff that they are so ashamed that they made)
The Cars
Bronski Beat/The Communards
The Cure (Standing On The Beach)
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:26 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Sean[/i]
<br>Michael, I think we got the same batch of dvd's and we live in different states. My discs were in the wrong boxes too. [:)] I was nervous for a moment cause I thought I had two of the same disc in two different boxes. One more little complaint is my liner notes were kind of smashed on the side. I hate it when they destroy liner notes and inlay cards. It makes the value of the item go down, at least in my opinion.

I'm so happy they decided to release this dvd though. It's about time. Now if we can only convince the respective labels to release dvd's from:

OMD
Clan of Xymox
Hubert Kah
The Cars

[/quote]

Other people (on the New Order mailing list) have posted about the DVD switcheroo.
I will have to check my Japanese LD (The Best Of New Order) to see if Confusion and PK have the defects you described.
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:59 am

I have that laserdisc too. Isn't it pain these days to pull out a laserdisc and play it. They are so bulky and heavy. [:)] I've bought a lot of the New Wave ones through the years and the covers look great and everything but I hate taking these things out.
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby IWantMyMTV » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:29 pm

<br>Now if we can only convince the respective labels to release dvd's from:

OMD
Clan of Xymox
Hubert Kah
The Cars
[b]The Cure (Standing On The Beach)[/b]
[/quote]
They have a DVD release, "Greatest Hits"

I'd love a DM early videos collection on DVD too.
IWantMyMTV
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:09 am

The Cure's Greatest Hits leaves out a whole bunch of awesome videos including Charlotte Sometimes, Primary, and more.
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:53 am

Just got my Item now...there goes the rest of this day. OMG, Confusion is phenomenal. Like Sean says, I just dig the images of 80s NYC. Did all the men in clubs dress just like Travolta from that god awful Stayling Alive movie back then? I'm guessing the chubby guy with the real-to-real is Arthur Baker. Anyone know who the Joey Arias-looking dude standing next to NO in the club is?

I got the Anton Corbijn set in at the same time. How am I gonna find time for real life?!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:32 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Blir[/i]
<br>Just got my Item now...there goes the rest of this day. OMG, Confusion is phenomenal. Like Sean says, I just dig the images of 80s NYC. Did all the men in clubs dress just like Travolta from that god awful Stayling Alive movie back then? I'm guessing the chubby guy with the real-to-real is Arthur Baker. Anyone know who the Joey Arias-looking dude standing next to NO in the club is?

I got the Anton Corbijn set in at the same time. How am I gonna find time for real life?!
[/quote]

I think you are confused, Uhm, that was me that was raving about confusion[:)]
Yes that is Artthur Baker; if you read the dvd booklet you'll get the 411 on the video. I think you might be referring to Jelly Bean Benitez; I spotted him at one point, though I'm not sure I saw the Joey Arias connection.
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:43 am

Right! That's gotta be Jelly Bean. What, read the booklet when I'm glued to the videos? That's like reading a manual right? Sorry for the "confusion". [:D]
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:49 pm

Finally got around to ordering my Item along with other N/O goodies, the Corbijn video collection, the new Depeche CD/DVD set and the first single off it. The Ideal Copy made some bucks off me last night! [;)] Might be late in joining the convo but I'll throw my two cents in sooner or later [}:)]

:::::::::: |-o-| (-o-) |-o-| ::::::::::
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:28 am

Hey, my discs were in the wrong cases too. This did make me slightly tense [}:)] The new videos are magnificent (that photography must be some of the best ever in a N/O video) and I hope Shamberg does more work with the band in the future. I've always loved New order videos - very inspiring and inspired themselves. I do love the cinematic arts.....Perfect Kiss is a perfect video, allowing the viewer to get lost in the sonic collage of perfection that is the song itself. The band unguarded, the film stark and stripped down of any video cliches of the day, this one stands the test of time. Touched by the Hand of God shows a sassy Gillian with a whole lotta leg and good ole' Hooky giving the camera the finger - a hilarious spoof on all things heavy metal if ever there was one. Barney playing his guitar with his teeth at the recent R 'n' R Hall of Fame induction ceremony comes to mind. These guys have a sense of humor, no doubt about it. And of course this New York City Boy never lost the thrill of seeing New Order trooping around early eighties New York while it was still grittier and edgier. The World video with it's single, uncut, moving camera shot must be the only one of it's kind, telling stories of the passing of and triviality of physical beauty. World In Motion was always just real fun - N/O in true form, those wacky football hooligans. Ruined In A Day - voyeuristic camera angles, intimate band member portraits, humor both intentional and unintentional. The biggest surprise for me was <a href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001363/">Jane Horrocks.</a> in the 1963 video - I NEVER SAW THAT! Astute BBC comedy fans will remember her role as Bubble in Absolutely Fabuluos. Hm, the Pet Shop Boys working with Dawn French & Jennifer Saunders, New Order working with Jane Horrocks...my, the circles we travel in [;)] NICE, VERY NICE [^] Story finally gets justice with an expanded (!!) DVD release. I don't remember Quincy Jones quoting Bono as saying that he most wanted to emulate New Order in his own career on the original VHS release. Was that part of the expanded deal? And how about those animated menus? Righteous my friends, most righteous. And the program song thingie? I'm all over this like a cheap suit.

<a href="http://www.worldwildlife.org/cetaceans/index.cfm">I dig whales.</a>
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:06 am

You didn't say if you liked it or not. [:o)][:D]
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:06 am

Rhino screwed up on the indexes too. Sometimes when you skip, you get that 40s countdown intro thing and other times skip you directly to the beginning of the video. I wonder if the PAL versions are the same.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby unguarded moment » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:06 am

<br>Michael, I think we got the same batch of dvd's and we live in different states. My discs were in the wrong boxes too. [:)] I was nervous for a moment cause I thought I had two of the same disc in two different boxes. One more little complaint is my liner notes were kind of smashed on the side. I hate it when they destroy liner notes and inlay cards. It makes the value of the item go down, at least in my opinion.

OMD
Clan of Xymox
Hubert Kah
The Cars

[/quote]

I'd like to add XTC, Thomas Dolby, The Romantics and the Psych Furs to the list, too! And, are we ever going to get a domestic (NTSC) Siouxsie & The Banshees collection?
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby obs » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:20 am

[i]And, are we ever going to get a domestic (NTSC) Siouxsie & The Banshees collection?[/i]

What? Are you crazy? You don't have an all region multisystem player? They're pretty cheap so do yourself a favour and get one!
obs
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:33 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by obs[/i]
<br>[i]And, are we ever going to get a domestic (NTSC) Siouxsie & The Banshees collection?[/i]

What? Are you crazy? You don't have an all region multisystem player? They're pretty cheap so do yourself a favour and get one![/quote]

This is true. I bought my Daewoo off of eBay for around $100, mint in box and shipped. Not a factory refurbished model either. If you want, I can dig up the vendor I bought it from. First class service, all the way. Daewoo is big on multi region players plus they play all sorts of other media files like mp3's, Windows Media Files, jpegs, vcd's, cd-r's, dvd-r's, etc.

<a href="http://www.worldwildlife.org/cetaceans/index.cfm">I dig whales.</a>
MARV
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to Music Videos