Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Jimmie Jones??

Jimmie Jones??

Postby Jason² » Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:13 am

Okay, on VH1 Classic today they showed a video that they mis-identified as Icehouse "We Can Get Together" - but what was actually shown is a band that looked like an odd combo of Dexy's Midnight Runners and Men Without Hats doing a song that I can only conclude was called "Jimmy Jones". The sound was somewhere between The Alarm and XTC.

The chorus (as I heard it) goes "Jimmy Jones... Jimmy Jones Jones Jones Jones" and then then "Jimmy's got a place for me"

The video was filmed in what looks like a revival hall and features some kid playing amongst the rocks. From the looks if it we're talking 1982-1984 era.

Anyone know it? I had definitely never heard the song before but I quite liked it.

Cheers!

Jason
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby tglopez » Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:19 am

That must be the Vapors.
tglopez
Take On Me

Postby tglopez » Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:25 am

It's off their 1981 release called "Magnets". It's also on an Anthology that was released on One Way Records a while back (95?)which I picked up used.

BTW - Does any one know what "Cema Special Markets" is? It's stamped on several New Wave 80's CD's
tglopez
Take On Me

Postby Jason² » Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:35 am

Aha - The Vapours! I had continued to research this after posting and saw that The Vapours had done a song called "Jimmy Jones" - but I wasn't able to verify it was the same song. Mystery solved!

As for CEMA Special Markets - CEMA stood for "Capitol EM
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby Luna Lure » Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:55 am

Icehouse "We Can Get Together" is one of my favorite songs -- I saw the video back in the day on MTv and I have the mp3 on my player when I run (along with 35 other songs) but it's a great song.

I wish there was a service where we could get compilation
Luna Lure
Switchin' to Glide

Postby tglopez » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:58 pm

jfiber,

Thanks for the explanation. The question was obviously right down your alley. BTW - I love what your doing over at Superfecta.

Another question. I noticed you're located in SoCal. Do you have any connections with the people at Oglio Re
tglopez
Take On Me

Postby Jason² » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:51 am

It's a compliment, for sure, to be compared to Oglio. We don't have any connection to them but we're certainly fans of what they've done though at this point they seem to have moved beyond their original focus on '80s reissues and now seem to be a bit mor
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby MikeP » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:52 am

Congrats on the new store Jason! I'll be an affiliated site providing links to it soon. :)

As for the mis-identified vid ... yup, that's the way MTV has it stored in their archive -- they mistitled The Vapors' "Jimmy Jones" as Icehouse. The vid for "We
MikeP
President Am I

Postby tglopez » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:46 pm

(The Alarm is the most stunning example)

Off topic - but, does anyone have feedback on "The Alarm" re-issues?

I was a huge fan in the 80's. I saw them play to less than 100 people in a club in the late 80's. They really rocked. I
tglopez
Take On Me

Postby Jason² » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:09 pm

Depends on what kind of feedback you're looking for. Mike Peters of The Alarm has done what any Alarm fan would consider a wet dream of a reissue campaign. He went into the vaults and found every master tape that they had - personally remastered everythin
Jason²
The Jet Set

Return to Help Me Identify This!