Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

HAMMACH!!! (and a little "shake your booty")

HAMMACH!!! (and a little "shake your booty")

Postby Brittlestar » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:22 am

Hammack!!!!!!!
Note: it's quite probable that I've mangled the spelling of this lyric (vielleicht deutsch ist?).

C'mon, if you listened to WLIR or another great radio station in the 80's you may remember this zany gem. The song production reminds me a bit of Ian Dury, Trio, or that creepy "Warm Leatherette" song. Anyone know anything more about it, such as the official title and artist?

The song is very monotonous, with just a simple synth-bass & drum-machine beat. Some angst-filled German guy yells the main lyric "Hammack!!" at each refrain, peppered with occasional sound effects (car-crashes and other fun clips).

I'm pretty sure--- unless I've lost my mind-- that near the end of the song, a chorus-line of German male euro-drones chant "Shake!! Shake your booty! Shake!! Shake your booty!".

Go on, have a good laugh with my description, but I guarantee someone will recall this song. Those of you who do, feel free to let this hypnotic tune haunt you for a few hours courtesy of me. ;^)
Brittlestar
Switchin' to Glide

Postby retroman » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:50 am

It is called "Amok". Yes it is German and it is by the group Ledernacken (not sure if there is a "c" in there). Amok means "chaos" basically. That IS a cool song. I have it on tape from the radio many moons ago.
retroman
Take On Me

Postby rewind » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:22 am

Download "Amok" at www.ledernacken.com
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby vienna » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:44 am

Ah, that's right! Ledernacken. I vaguely remember that name.

And "Amok" -- that makes sense. Wasn't sure due to the German accent. Amok is actually a malaysian (or maybe indonesian) word.

Hey, when was the last time you heard an indonesian word sun
vienna
Running Up That Hill

Postby vienna » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:49 am

Thanks for that link, rewind. Great to hear that tune again.

Bummer it's in real-audio format, though. I'd like to get my clutches around the MP3. Now that I know the proper name & title, hopefully it won't be too hard to pry up a copy.
vienna
Running Up That Hill

Postby tborg1987 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:46 pm

there's actually a cd out there called LEDERNAKEN - BOOGALOO AND OTHER NATTY DANCES with a few different versions of the song Amok... their only other song that made any radio play was a cover of "the lion sleeps tonight"..I've seen the cd many times brow
tborg1987
Switchin' to Glide

Postby vienna » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:10 am

Thanks for the offer zig. I'll see if I can procure this song thru my normal channels and check back with ya.

Thanks again.
vienna
Running Up That Hill

Return to Help Me Identify This!