Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

2 obscurities to identify, please

2 obscurities to identify, please

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:07 am

OK, these two were on a tape of songs recorded off the radio from the mid 80's that I was hanging onto until they were identified. I was down to just 2 unidentified when the tape broke a few years ago. Here's what I remember:

#1: Nothing spectacular, just a straightforward pop song, male singer, the only lyrics I remember are "I'm waiting, I'm waiting for love without a love affair" or something like that. It was once suggested that it might be Crossfire Choir, but I've never been able to confirm.

#2: a British (or very British-sounding) punk band. The opening was a bit of semi-spoken word over a simple piano riff, then it broke into a arty-punk riff with lyrics like "she wants to be a model". The chorus, I believe he was saying "big tits, yeah, but is it art? is it art?" I could be wrong.

Any thoughts?
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby thefxc » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:17 pm

I'm going to take a wild, wild guess on #2: could it be "Nice Legs, Shame About Her Face" by the Monks?

(It's been ages since I heard that, but your description brings it to mind...)
thefxc
Personal Jesus

Postby bpdp3 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:43 am

I don't think the 2nd one is the Monks song only because, strangely enough, I have that on a mixed cassette sitting in my car right now, and it doesn't fit the description... afraid I'm not sure what they are - -
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Ollie Stench » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:30 am

Maybe a Stranglers song for #2?
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:38 am

Anyone? Bueller?
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby Demetri » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:48 pm

For some reason, I'm thinking of Maurice and the Cliches "Soft Core," though it's not "punk." There are lyrics in Soft Core that say "she wants to be an actress." But, the chorus is "Thin Skin, Paper Thin, You Win, Fantasize, You're Givin' It To Them" or something like that - of course, I'm awful with lyrics so forgive me for being way off, if I am. [:o)]
Demetri
Take On Me

Postby KMFDM10000 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:05 am

How about Something Corporate? This page mentions some of the lyrics and says they are punk:
http://www.emotionalpunk.com/reviews/cd ... porate.php
KMFDM10000
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:54 am

I'll try and track down Maurice and the Cliches, but your description doesn't lead to think it is correct. You never know. I could be completely wrong about it being a punk band as well, but it just seems like it would be, given what I remember.

And Something Corporate, I've heard them, not too bad for what they do. The song I'm looking for, though, is at least 16 years old, maybe more. I appreciate the suggestion, though.
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby SwampThing » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:33 pm

[quote] Maurice and the Cliches "Soft Core," [/quote]
Does anyone know if this has ever been released on CD? I'd love to get my hands on it. I downloaded an MP3 of it a while back. I like it for nostalgic reasons...
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby jaypounders » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:45 am

I can absolutely definitively answer part #1 of your question. The song is "The Waiting" and yes, its on the debut cd by the group, Crossfire Choir. I know because that's me singing. (thanks for the "nothing spectacular" :-) >just kiddin'

The record was recorded for Geffen but released on Passport Records..and you can find it on all kinds of 80s record websites...I think you can even get it in vinyl, if you wanted.

>Yes, I'm such a loser, that I occasionally search the web for any mention of my old band.

BTW: if you're interested, I still write, record and perform and will be performing in Los Angeles at Genghis Cohen (solo acousitc) on Saturday, March 13, 7:30pm.

Hope that helps.
Jay
jaypounders
Running Up That Hill

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:03 am

Jay, that was actually very cool getting your reply! You're not alone though. Henry Padovai actually once replied directly in response to a thread about which Police guitarist we preferred, him or Andy Summers...

>>somehow stumbled on your message..
the police were not my cup of tea and i had a better time with
the electric chairs and the flying padovani's;!

take care
henry padovani<<

I was kinda embarrased! I do searches of myself too. All I get are a scientific paper on the fungus that causes yeast infections (it's actually quite well known in the field!) and old pointers to "Mike's Powermac Icons" which I used to post on the Infomac Archives as well as making onto some MacWorld and MacAddict CDs. You're WAY ahead of me!!! [:D]
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:53 am

[quote]Originally posted by jaypounders
[br]I can absolutely definitively answer part #1 of your question. The song is "The Waiting" and yes, its on the debut cd by the group, Crossfire Choir. I know because that's me singing. (thanks for the "nothing spectacular" :-) >just kiddin'
The record was recorded for Geffen but released on Passport Records..and you can find it on all kinds of 80s record websites...I think you can even get it in vinyl, if you wanted.

>Yes, I'm such a loser, that I occasionally search the web for any mention of my old band.

BTW: if you're interested, I still write, record and perform and will be performing in Los Angeles at Genghis Cohen (solo acousitc) on Saturday, March 13, 7:30pm.

Hope that helps.
Jay

[/quote]

Cool, I'm glad you responded. And I'm glad you wrote the 'just kidding' as I certainly didn't mean nothing spectacular in a negative way. I just remember the tune as a decent, straightforward pop song, which is good enough for me to track it down! The melody of the verses is still in my head, so it was certainly memorable, but I'm bad with lyrics, so I look forward to tracking it down.

I used to live in LA (had I known about you then...), but now I'm 3,000 miles away, so I don't think I can make it to your show :)
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:41 am

self-pity bump to see if anyone new recognizes #2
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby DJ Lex » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:49 pm

[quote]Originally posted by SwampThing
[br][quote] Maurice and the Cliches "Soft Core," [/quote]
Does anyone know if this has ever been released on CD? I'd love to get my hands on it. I downloaded an MP3 of it a while back. I like it for nostalgic reasons...
[/quote]

It hasn't been released on CD. Maybe Superfecta could reissue it?

If you can find it on vinyl, grab it. I have the LP and two copies of the "Soft Core" 12". Talk about a great 80s track!
DJ Lex
Switchin' to Glide

Postby jaypounders » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:58 am

This is Jay Pounders, former singer/songwriter for Crossfire Choir. I now have a website (www.jaypounders.com) where you can hear some of my new solo material.

If you really want, I can upload "The Waiting" on my site and you could download it/save it, etc. Let me know if you want me to do so. You can email me directly from my website (just click on "contact"). Somewhere there is a "hardcore" version of The Waiting that we recorded in London with Steve Lillywhite that wasn't included on the album. To my knowledge it is the only "hardcore" ever produced by Lillywhite. We were a band with an identity crisis. I wrote (and still do) cheesy pop songs..( but we liked listening to PIL/the Residents/etc., so we wanted to put a hardcore version of The Waiting on the disc..but the label said no.

in any event, please share the link to my site with anyone you think might be interested.

thanks,
Jay

[quote]Originally posted by Otters Walk Among Us
[br]OK, these two were on a tape of songs recorded off the radio from the mid 80's that I was hanging onto until they were identified. I was down to just 2 unidentified when the tape broke a few years ago. Here's what I remember:

#1: Nothing spectacular, just a straightforward pop song, male singer, the only lyrics I remember are "I'm waiting, I'm waiting for love without a love affair" or something like that. It was once suggested that it might be Crossfire Choir, but I've never been able to confirm.

#2: a British (or very British-sounding) punk band. The opening was a bit of semi-spoken word over a simple piano riff, then it broke into a arty-punk riff with lyrics like "she wants to be a model". The chorus, I believe he was saying "big tits, yeah, but is it art? is it art?" I could be wrong.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]
jaypounders
Running Up That Hill

Next

Return to Help Me Identify This!