Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Need help with old video......

Need help with old video......

Postby Max Murdoc » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:59 am

The video was shown on a late Sunday night show on MTV in the early eighties. I believe it pre-dated 120 Minutes so it was most likely on a show called The Cutting Edge. Although I believe The Cutting Edge was primarily devoted to acts from IRS records I don't believe this was an IRS release.

The video was in black & white and was probably comprised from old silent B & W movie footage of factories. I'm fairly certain it started and ended with an old fashioned factory whistle blowing smoke. I'm not entirely sure but I seem to recall scenes of factory equipment moving up & down, etc to the music. I also seem to recall footage of a long line of factory workers lined up to go into a factory in one part of the video.

The only thing I am absolutely sure of is that part of the lyrics were - "listen to the sound..............the sound of machines".

The music was of a "new wave" variety although not of a commercial type at all. I seem to think it had some clanking sounds (like pipes,machinery,etc ) that went with the music and maybe even bells or whistles. So parts of it had a definite percussive overlay.

I'm not entirely sure but I believe that the actual song may have been called "The Sound of Machines" (not to be confused with a song of the same name by someone called Blank & Jones which is much more current). Or it's possible some of those words could have been part of the groups name. The word "factory" may or may not also be important or I could just be thinking it is based on the images in the video.
Max Murdoc
The Jet Set

Postby jimmy_chop » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:28 am

Perhaps China Crisis' "Working with the fire and steel"? Good tune, good band, especially first two or three albums.
jimmy_chop
Running Up That Hill

Postby thefxc » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:14 am

I know it! I know it! And it's a song I've been thinking about lately, since I want to try to convert my vinyl copy to MP3...

The band is The Swinging Pistons, and the song is "(Ever Since I Was Young) I Love the Sound of Machines." The song has kind of a 20s-swing feel to the chorus. You're right about the clanking sounds and whatnot. I'll have to find my copy, but I think it dates from c. 1986.

One of the emembers of Swinging Pistons was the late William Tucker, who played with a lot of the Ministry-affiliated bands.

I don't think they did anything other than this 12". The video is exactly as you describe, and it did get airplay on 120 Minutes and Night Flight. The latter show used to air a clip of it in some of their industrial-themed programs.
thefxc
Personal Jesus

Postby Max Murdoc » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:20 pm

That has to be it....thanks. If you want to trade anything let me know. I would love to have a copy of it. If you go to www.rateyourmusic.com you can find some of the stuff I have (at least 160 albums anyway). My handle is Max Murdoc. Or drop me a line at Max_Murdoc@yahoo.com. Thanks again.
Max Murdoc
The Jet Set

Postby sPeLuNkErSpLuNk » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:11 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by thefxc[/i]
<br>I know it! I know it! And it's a song I've been thinking about lately, since I want to try to convert my vinyl copy to MP3...

The band is The Swinging Pistons, and the song is "(Ever Since I Was Young) I Love the Sound of Machines." The song has kind of a 20s-swing feel to the chorus. You're right about the clanking sounds and whatnot. I'll have to find my copy, but I think it dates from c. 1986.

One of the emembers of Swinging Pistons was the late William Tucker, who played with a lot of the Ministry-affiliated bands.

I don't think they did anything other than this 12". The video is exactly as you describe, and it did get airplay on 120 Minutes and Night Flight. The latter show used to air a clip of it in some of their industrial-themed programs.
[/quote]
sPeLuNkErSpLuNk
Running Up That Hill

Return to Help Me Identify This!