Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Looking for 'No Man's Land' reference

Looking for 'No Man's Land' reference

Postby MrTambourineMan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm an old WLIR/WDRE listener in search of a song. As I remember it, the song has a voice over part (like an old radio broadcast or newsreel) about 'No Man's Land' from World War 1. I went through all the versions I could find of 'All Together Now' by The Farm, but I don't think that's it, and did all the Google lyrics searches I could think of, but still can't figure it out. Does this song sound familiar to anyone?
Listener of WLIR/WDRE in the 80s/90s
MrTambourineMan
Switchin' to Glide

Re: Looking for 'No Man's Land' reference

Postby dbonser » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:58 pm

WWI & No Man's Land makes me think of Ballad Of Bill Hubbard - Roger Waters

from Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amused_to_Death:
The first song, "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard", features a sample of World War I veteran Alfred "Raz" Razzell, a member of the Royal Fusiliers (much like Waters' father Eric Fletcher Waters had been in the following war) who describes his account of finding fellow soldier William "Bill" Hubbard, to whom the album is dedicated, severely wounded on the battlefield. After failed attempts to take him to safety, Razzell is forced to abandon him in no-man's land. This sample is continued at the end of the title track, at the very end of the album, providing a more upbeat coda to the tragic story.

Lyrics from http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rogerwat ... bbard.html:
"The Ballad Of Bill Hubbard"
[Instrumental]
[Switch channels]
[Alf Razzell:]
"Two things that have haunted me most are the days when I had to collect the paybooks; and when I left Bill Hubbard in no-man's-land."
"I was picked up and taken into their trench. And I'd no sooner taken two or three steps down the trench when I heard a call,
'Hello Razz, I'm glad to see you. This is my second night here,' and he said
'I'm feeling bad,' and it was Bill Hubbard, one of the men we'd trained in England, one of the original battalion. I had a look at his wound, rolled him over; I could see it was probably a fatal wound. You could imagine what pain he was in, he was dripping with sweat; and after I'd gone about three shellholes, traversed that, had it been...had there been a path or a road I could have done better.
He pummeled me, 'Put me down, put me down, I'd rather die, I'd rather die, put me down.' I was hoping he would faint. He said 'I can't go any further, let me die.' I said 'If I leave you here Bill you won't be found, let's have another go.' He said 'All right then.' And the same thing happened; he couldn't stand it any more, and I had to leave him there, in no-man's-land."

[Switch channels]
[Girl:] "I don't mind about the war, that's one of the things I _like_ to watch, if it's a war going on, 'cause then I know if our side's winning, if our side's losing..."

[Switch channels]
dbonser
Switchin' to Glide

Re: Looking for 'No Man's Land' reference

Postby MrTambourineMan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:27 pm

Thanks, that's a nice song, but not the one I'm trying to remember. Are there any new wave songs called 'Christmas 1914' or 'Christmas Truce'?
Listener of WLIR/WDRE in the 80s/90s
MrTambourineMan
Switchin' to Glide

Return to Help Me Identify This!