Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results


Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.


If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD


Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby negative1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:46 pm

Passing_Stranger wrote:For the rarities compilation it's the best so far for AFOS - previous ones were chock-full of album versions with barely a hint of anything else. So it's a welcome release.

But it still feels like unfinished business. There's no rhyme or reason to the tracklisting, just a mish-mash of 7" versions, remixes and B-sides. Not comprehensive, not chronological, overall not organised in any meaningful way. And with too many versions of the main songs - I mean, FOUR "I Ran"'s and THREE "Wishing"'s?! There's also nothing from before "I Ran" - when there was at least a 7" of "Modern Love is Automatic" (if some early version of "Talking" is unavailable).

What I think should've been done is to gather all the strays and mistake inclusions not available on Cherry Red reissues of AFOS albums - and it's be a great addition to the main run. This way it's more like something extravagant to leave the listener puzzled about the track selection. I'm still interested in it - but to think it could've been so much better...


i agree with some of your thoughts.

there are many excellent flock of seagulls compilations, even the 2 cd that was released before, and many have non album tracks.
yes, half of them are just the same though.

'i ran', and 'wishing' are their biggest hits, so they are there for a reason.

there would not be much demand for a 3cd+DVD set, including all the tracks, as i have listed, because it is too expensive for a budget line, with a small fanbase.

later
-1
negative1
The Jet Set
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:51 pm
Location: USA

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby Passing_Stranger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:11 pm

negative1 wrote:there would not be much demand for a 3cd+DVD set, including all the tracks, as i have listed, because it is too expensive for a budget line, with a small fanbase.


Don't think I support that. A comprehensive overview with carefully compiled 7" and 12" versions + correspoding B-sides with DVD of clips and (possibly) some concert footage and/or even TV appearances + good-quality booklet - what's not to like? It would've had quite strong sales, I'm sure - nothing earth-shattering but still good. Won't happen, though, as the band is constantly underestimated (even with all the 80s resurgence).
Passing_Stranger
The Jet Set
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 5:22 am
Location: Russia

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby negative1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Passing_Stranger wrote:
negative1 wrote:there would not be much demand for a 3cd+DVD set, including all the tracks, as i have listed, because it is too expensive for a budget line, with a small fanbase.


Don't think I support that. A comprehensive overview with carefully compiled 7" and 12" versions + correspoding B-sides with DVD of clips and (possibly) some concert footage and/or even TV appearances + good-quality booklet - what's not to like? It would've had quite strong sales, I'm sure - nothing earth-shattering but still good. Won't happen, though, as the band is constantly underestimated (even with all the 80s resurgence).


my friend works in the music industry, (with the band KLF and many others), and he is a huge fan of flock of seagulls to. we have tried many times to get tracks released, and projects like
this to their attention. they are not interested, and neither is the label.

most of these bands, will only get the budget treatment, if anything.

later
-1
negative1
The Jet Set
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:51 pm
Location: USA

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby retromusic » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Head over to Obscure 80s Central for a dropbox link to Talking 12'' - COQ T 3 [new stereo link].
-Jon
retromusic
Take On Me
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:00 pm
Location: Scotland, UK

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby DJ Phoenix » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:55 pm

Isn't there a 5+ minute extended version of I Ran? Curious as to why that was left off. I've also heard a longer version of Nightmares as well.
"Keepin the '80s alive!"
DJ Phoenix
Room at the Top
 
Posts: 1095
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: USA

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby omar » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:27 pm

The official ext. mix of I Ran is just the album version at 5:02 min as far as I know. As for Nightmares there's the standard 12" which I think runs to 5:03 min and a special US promo mix, which is 4:35 min. If there's any other versions they're probably special DJ mixes or fan mixes.
omar
Room at the Top
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 am
Location: USA

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby negative1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

here's a brief review from a comment on superdeluxeedition:

I have a promo copy of AFOS Remixes & Rarities from Cherry Red and am delighted to say it is absolutely stunning – the sound quality is superb and as far as I can tell all tracks are from original masters. The booklet is a little disappointing as the ‘liner notes’ are simply a reproduced brief interview from Smash Hits in 1982, plus there are a few lyrics for the singles. Nice pictures of the sleeves however, and the usual extensive discography. Buy with total confidence!



later
-1
negative1
The Jet Set
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:51 pm
Location: USA

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby swerve » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Received it today.

Worth it for Never Again (The Dancer) (Re-Mix), one of the best remixes from the 80's.
swerve
Personal Jesus
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 8:18 am
Location: Canada

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby ZippY » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:13 am

swerve wrote:Received it today.

Worth it for Never Again (The Dancer) (Re-Mix), one of the best remixes from the 80's.


I never understood why this single flopped after the moderate succes of The More You Live, The More You Love. It's up there with their best work. Still didn't receive my copy yet.
ZippY
Switchin' to Glide
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:05 am

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby omar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:27 am

Got mine a few days ago. Haven't heard all the tracks, but it does sound good.
omar
Room at the Top
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 am
Location: USA

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby negative1 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:30 pm

getting mine in a few days..

a good companion compilation is this one from recently:

Wishing - the very best of
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS - Wishing: The Very Best of - Amazon.com Music
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W0VBJ5W/re ... UTF8&psc=1

* Songs that are not on the rarities disc, but should have been.
============================================================================
Disc: 1
1. Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)
2. I Ran
3. Space Age Love Song
4. You Can Run
* 5. Intro
6. Don't Ask Me
7. Man Made
8. Messages
9. The Story of a Young Heart
* 10. Tanglimara
11. Modern Love Is Automatic
12. Heart of Steel
13. The Fall
* 14. Windows
15. What Am I Supposed to Do
16. Electrics
* 17. Living in Heaven
18. Transfer Affection

Disc: 2
1. Nightmares
2. The More You Live, the More You Love
3. Who's That Girl (She's Got It)
* 4. Pick Me Up
5. (It's Not Me) Talking
6. D.N.A
7. The Traveller
8. Telecommunication
9. Heartbeat Like a Drum
10. European (I Wish I Was)
11. Never Again (The Dancer)
12. Remember David
* 13. Lost Control
14. Standing in the Doorway
15. Committed
16. I Ran [Extended Version]
17. The More You Live, the More You Love[Extended Version]
18. Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)[Extended Version]


later
-1
negative1
The Jet Set
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:51 pm
Location: USA

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby hypnohighball » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:55 pm

negative1 wrote:getting mine in a few days..

a good companion compilation is this one from recently:

Wishing - the very best of
FLOCK OF SEAGULLS - Wishing: The Very Best of - Amazon.com Music
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W0VBJ5W/re ... UTF8&psc=1

* Songs that are not on the rarities disc, but should have been.
============================================================================
Disc: 1
1. Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)
2. I Ran
3. Space Age Love Song
4. You Can Run
* 5. Intro
6. Don't Ask Me
7. Man Made
8. Messages
9. The Story of a Young Heart
* 10. Tanglimara
11. Modern Love Is Automatic
12. Heart of Steel
13. The Fall
* 14. Windows
15. What Am I Supposed to Do
16. Electrics
* 17. Living in Heaven
18. Transfer Affection

Disc: 2
1. Nightmares
2. The More You Live, the More You Love
3. Who's That Girl (She's Got It)
* 4. Pick Me Up
5. (It's Not Me) Talking
6. D.N.A
7. The Traveller
8. Telecommunication
9. Heartbeat Like a Drum
10. European (I Wish I Was)
11. Never Again (The Dancer)
12. Remember David
* 13. Lost Control
14. Standing in the Doorway
15. Committed
16. I Ran [Extended Version]
17. The More You Live, the More You Love[Extended Version]
18. Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)[Extended Version]


later
-1


All those songs are bonus tracks on the album cd reissues on Cherry Pop.
hypnohighball
Take On Me
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:11 am
Location: USA

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby negative1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:23 pm

hypnohighball wrote:
All those songs are bonus tracks on the album cd reissues on Cherry Pop.


this is cheaper and easier to get.

as i said, it's a companion to the remixes and rarities compilation.

later
-1
negative1
The Jet Set
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:51 pm
Location: USA

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby omar » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:37 pm

Ok. Back to the Remixes. I heard both discs from start to finish and all i can say is "wow". While no collection will perhaps ever satisfy completists , this one certainly comes close in track selection and sound quality. It's by far the best AFOS set ever released and has what most of us would proudly cherish. Yes limited to 2 discs, only so much could be included, but it'll do. I wanted The More You Live (7") and Space Age Love Song (US 7"), but hey.. what the heck. The remastering from the original source tapes is awesome. If you don't have it, get it now , because once it goes out of print, it'll fetch $$$$$.
omar
Room at the Top
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 am
Location: USA

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby humanracer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:20 am

You can hear samples at http://www.juno.co.uk/products/a-flock- ... 639007-01/

Seems good though Remember David is sorely missed.

Don't like the mastering of the album remasters.
Thirtysomething New Wave fan. I've got that Golden Feeling.
humanracer
Personal Jesus
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:19 am
Location: Fife, Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests