Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Positive Noise "Change Of Heart / Distant Fires" 2 CD Set

Positive Noise "Change Of Heart / Distant Fires" 2 CD Set

Postby fanwave » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Do you remember Positive Noise, the legendary new wave band? They released three albums before breaking up. Now second album Change Of Heart (1982) and third Distant Fires (1985) has been reissued on CD. This is 2 CD set in normal jewel case, remastered sound, CD-Text, plus one "End In Tears" non album bonus track.
Tracklist is:
CD1 "Change Of Heart"
1-1 Feel The Fear 3:44
1-2 Get Up And Go! 4:03
1-3 Inhibitions 4:05
1-4 Obsession 3:13
1-5 Hanging On 3:20
1-6 Positive Negative 2:43
1-7 Waiting For The 7th Man 3:04
1-8 Out Of Reach 3:30
1-9 Tension 2:44
1-10 Change Of Heart 4:12
Bonus Track
1-11 End In Tears 3:47
CD2 "Distant Fires"
2-1 When Lightning Strikes 3:38
2-2 I Need You 3:39
2-3 Distant Fires 3:15
2-4 Reckless 4:04
2-5 Embers 3:37
2-6 A Million Miles Away 3:58
2-7 Serenade 3:16
2-8 Now Is The Time 4:45
2-9 Always Remember 3:43
2-10 Entranced 3:57
This is available at:
Discogs https://www.discogs.com/Positive-Noise- ... se/9997450
Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Positive-Nois ... 1438.l2649
fanwave
Take On Me

Re: Positive Noise "Change Of Heart / Distant Fires" 2 CD S

Postby yipyipcoyote » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:19 pm

Bootleg?
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby Qbertqubes » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:55 am

Dawn Music release a lot of obscure great stuff on official CD & sound great. I bought Espionage. They never add bonus tracks that I know of all though they did this time. They never advertise as well as it is hard to order from them.
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby rewind » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:18 am

When you say "official CD," what you mean is the CD's are pressed (as opposed to burned, like a CD-R). Aside from that, there's nothing "official" about Dawn's releases. Yes, it appears they put a lot of care into their product, but make no mistake: they're a bootleg operation headquartered, apparently, in South Africa and distributed mysteriously out of the Russian Federation. There's a reason why their CD's are not easy to find and you can really only get them through a shady Discogs or eBay link.

And if it's bootlegged, that means the rightsholders are not getting compensated. Whether that's an indifferent record label or a naive artist, by law the rightsholders have the right to give (or deny) permission.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Danielwaver » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:11 am

rewind wrote:When you say "official CD," what you mean is the CD's are pressed (as opposed to burned, like a CD-R). Aside from that, there's nothing "official" about Dawn's releases. .

Official or not, they are releasing music the labels/artists don't care about to release as CD. Great job Dawn. You're a hero. And Rewind, stop acting like a child whose friend's candy is stolen.
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Postby rewind » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:42 am

Danielwaver wrote:
Official or not, they are releasing music the labels/artists don't care about to release as CD. Great job Dawn. You're a hero. And Rewind, stop acting like a child whose friend's candy is stolen.

How do you know the artists don't care about it? How do you know the members of Positive Noise haven't been in decades-long litigation with the record label to try to win back the rights to their masters so maybe they could re-release it themselves and perhaps make a few bucks from their art? A bootleg release all but scuttles that plan.

And, yes, I'd like to think if a friend had his candy --- or art -- stolen, I would do everything I could to support him. That's because we live in a nation of laws, and not...the Russian Federation.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Well, rewind, Russian Federation has laws too, you know :D Actually every state has laws - it's what states usually do, they make laws, no big deal there. So no need to have a go at one particular country just like that.

The problem is, sometimes (well, too often for comfort, actually) laws are made against common sense and/or in favour of certain parties in particular business. Yes, I mean all this rightholding bullshit, which allows random people to withhold music from the public for as long as they please. You speculate about the decades-long litigation against label, meaning that even creators of the music in question can't release it by their own wish - well, that's by laws, but is it OK? You know the answer.

So it's not the "laws" thing in action here. It's that people decided - enough is enough, if no label is releasing this music then we'll do it. And you rightly noticed that the guys put a lot of care in their operation. Quite often artists, having the rights to their music, release it on shoddy CD-Rs with minimal packaging and crappy sound - while here you get factory-printed CDs with great, professionally printed booklets and the sound no-one ever complained about (which says a lot). So you're Goddamn right that's quite a bit of effort. And all done for the love of music! While these Positive Noise guys, however great and fantastic they may be, don't even have a simplest web page (and never had one!) to show they care about their past and not one of them ever showed up anywhere on the Net (I searched several times). But maybe you're right, they have a secret plan to re-release their music - so secret, in fact, that no-one knows about it :D

So it's better for you to stop bashing people in question for their efforts just because it constitutes "bootleg" by some ancient law hardly corresponding with the present (especially with what people need). Those efforts haven't done any harm yet - and unlikely to do so ever.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby rewind » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Passing_Stranger, I appreciate your candor and happen to agree with you on a couple of things -- yes, there are greedy record labels who have no idea what content they're sitting on and don't have the inclination to bother exploiting it, whether for the benefit of the artists or their fans.

I'd like to clarify, though, that copyright is not "some ancient law hardly corresponding with the present." Its guidelines strive to balance the right of a creator to be paid for his work (and thus encourage his creativity) and the interest of the larger society in the dissemination of ideas. The fundamental goal of copyright is not to secure profits but to inspire thought -- "to promote the progress of science and useful arts," as Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution puts it.

You tout the effort that Dawn Music has put into its releases. How about the efforts of the original creators? Copyright laws were designed not "against common sense and/or in favour of certain parties in particular business" but to protect the artists -- the creators.

Look, you may be right. Maybe Positive Noise doesn't care about their work anymore. Maybe they're not even alive and their next of kin no longer wish to be bothered (although I randomly Googled two members: Russell Blackstock is a journalist for the New Zealand Herald and Graham Middleton does indeed have a Facebook page). And maybe Statik Records sold off their controlling interest in the masters. Or maybe they didn't and are sitting on them in the hopes of making a killing on them one day. Who knows?

For me, it's beyond the legal question. Many of the artists from the 70's and 80's provided the soundtrack to my formative years. They're important to me and I hold them in high regard both for being musically artistic and for creating works that moved me in some way. Whether they're still making music or have left the business -- or have passed on -- for me their legacy should be honored and respected. I don't make assumptions about their personal or financial situations, nor am I comfortable with companies that exploit their work for financial gain without knowing that every effort has been made to secure the artists' blessings. That's just how I live with myself. And I think anyone who pursues starting a legitimate record label would concur.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Danielwaver » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:51 pm

Here's a short list of the music our Russian hero has put out on CD. Great contribution for sure.

Sense (4) Hold On ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, Unofficial) 2996 2012
Private Lives Prejudice And Pride ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, Unofficial) 2997 2016 1
Dekka Danse Waltz In The Wilderness ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, Unofficial) 2998 2012 1
CaVa CaVa CaVa CaVa ‎(CD, Comp, Ltd, RM, Unofficial) 2999 2012 1
Minor Detail Minor Detail ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, Unofficial) 3000 2016
Silent Running Shades Of Liberty ‎(CD, Album, Unofficial) 3001 2013
Red (3) In Motion ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, Unofficial) 3009 2016
Trevor Herion Beauty Life ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, Unofficial) 3010 2016 1
Bone Symphony Bone Symphony ‎(CD, Comp, Ltd, RM, Unofficial) 3011 2016 1
Endgames ‎– Building Beauty
Person To Person Stronger Than Reason ‎(CD, Album, RE, RM) MORCD 612 2017
Nómo (2) The Great Unknown ‎(CD, Album, RE, RM) MORCD 613 2017
Boys Brigade Boys Brigade ‎(CD, Album, RE, RM) MORCD 614 2017
Positive Noise Change Of Heart / Distant Fires ‎(CD, Album, RE + CD, Album, RE + Comp, RM) MORCD 615 2017
Espionage (4) Espionage / E S P ‎(CD, Album, RE + CD, Album, RE + Comp, RM) MORCD 616 2017
Colour Radio Colour Radio ‎(CD, Album, RE, RM)
Kee Ram Easy Paradise ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM) TTR 20.040 2016
Mummy Calls Mummy Calls ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM) TTR 20.041 2017
Venetians* Step Off The Edge ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM) TTR 20.042 2017 1
Hambi And The Dance* Heartache ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM) TTR 20.043 2017 1
Tictoc Where The Picnic Was ‎(CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM)
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Postby Barmy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Good god this thread is pathetic.

The quality of these CDs is excellent.

Does the band CARE? What difference does it make. Everything is available free. The CDs simply offer a slightly better sound.

Really, are we STILL debating "unauthorized" CD releases? Only if your life stopped in the 90s.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations