Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Question for Rubellan about OOP albums with unreleased mixes

Question for Rubellan about OOP albums with unreleased mixes

Postby audiodile » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:44 am

Hey Rubellan - tried to DM this to you on Twitter but wouldn't let me.

Love the stuff you're doing.

There are a number of albums I'm dying to see get a re-release, and I suspect that in your efforts you already have a decent idea of which labels are an instant "don't bother" and such.

One is Peter Wolf's 1984 EMI solo debut "Lights Out", which had multiple Top 40 singles (none of the mixes have ever seen CD release): Lights Out, I Need You Tonight and Oo-Ee-Diddley-Bop!

Another is Wax's 1986 RCA release "Magnetic Heaven" which also had multiple singles with remixes that have never seen release (Systematic, Breakout) and one that only appears on an impossible to find OOP Japanese release (Ball and Chain).

A third that might be more in the vein of what you typically release is Lene Lovich's 1982 "No Man's Land". It's You (Only You) was a relatively big hit and also has never had any it's mixes on CD.

Lastly I see you're working on a vinyl of Oingo Boingo, another group with a million remixes that haven't been on CD. Would instantly scoop up a Dead Man's Party reissue with all the Weird Science mixes or Danny Elfman's So-Lo with the mixes of Gratitude (which have never seen CD either).

Anyway, thanks for any info at all. I'm a die hard remix collector used to paying $40 just to get one or two remixes of a lost classic on CD and it's an expensive addiction.
audiodile
Take On Me

Re: Question for Rubellan about OOP albums with unreleased m

Postby Fred Taghon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:09 pm

"Gratitude" and "Weird Science" 12" mixes are featured on the "Hit That Perfect Beat Vol. 2" compilation

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Hit-Tha ... ase/950970

...but I agree it would be nice to have these and all the others done up properly in expanded editions.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Rubellan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:59 pm

I can't say I'm interested in Peter Wolf. I have no idea who Wax is so I will investigate. Lene Lovich is a sore subject. The jerk who owns her catalog now, Domino, strung me along for three years asking me to do this and that for him to license the catalog to me. The last insult was when he asked me to send him a bunch of my CD's, which he got and promptly criticized everything about them other than the sound quality. I mean all the way down to my label logo, which is absolutely none of his damn business. Like a fool, I wrote him back politely while restraining myself from telling him to go f$@& himself (or send him an invoice) like I should have. That was the last of it. He was the most arrogant, nervy person I've dealt with, to string me along all that time only to insult me. He can keep his precious catalog and do absolutely nothing with it. Although, he does have my proposed track listings for all of the albums, so if they ever do come out that comprehensively, you're welcome. I also got the impression he doesn't have any of the actual master tapes, as he was going to have me use previous CD's and vinyl restorations. So it wasn't the ideal situation either way.

Regarding Boingo, I have requests in for 4 expanded CD reissues, which includes remixes and outtakes that I found in the vault. They were going through the process of clearing the releases but then decided they wanted to try to make contact with Elfman's management because of the bonus tracks. Both Universal and myself have made multiple attempts to contact management and Elfman, and I do know they are aware of our efforts but there has been no response. I know Elfman is not a fan of looking back, plus he's working on his new album so I don't think he has any interest in the Boingo project. I've asked Universal what that might mean to the expanded CD project but I haven't had a response back yet. I've got the clearance to do the two LP's because they are straight reissues. I'm hoping to get that final LP clearance to complete the trilogy but the expanded CD's are all up in the air right now.

Scott
Last edited by Rubellan on Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby audiodile » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:08 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:"Gratitude" and "Weird Science" 12" mixes are featured on the "Hit That Perfect Beat Vol. 2" compilation

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Hit-Tha ... ase/950970

...but I agree it would be nice to have these and all the others done up properly in expanded editions.

Fred - you are correct, though I really don't like how Hit That Perfect Beat for whatever awful reason decided to have the tracks start prior to the previous one ending. For that reason anything on their releases are unusable to me.
audiodile
Take On Me

Postby audiodile » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:19 pm

Wax (Andrew "Thank You For Being A Friend" Gold and Graham Gouldman) are probably best known (although more in the UK) for their singles Bridge To Your Heart and Right Between The Eyes. Very catchy synth-pop with elements of funk and rock. Sorta like Go West.

Sucks about Lene Lovich. :/

Fingers crossed on the Oingo/Elfman stuff.

Two other bands that probably are impossible to get but would be incredible to finally have a Deluxe of are "How To Be A Millionaire" by ABC with all the various mixes and "Bouncing Off The Sattelites" by the B-52s with the Girl From Ipanema remixes.
audiodile
Take On Me

Postby Glenn » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:32 am

Would be great to get Peter Wolf with the non-album tracks. That's a hard CD to find as it is without the bonus tracks.

Would love to get comprehensive Boingo reissues for sure. Saw an interview online with Danny Elfman where he was asked about remasters and replied something like 'the original mastering is fine'. There are several remixes etc. that would be great to have on CD (including soundtrack contributions over the years).
Glenn
Take On Me

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations