Site Announcements
Congratulations to
Bellenger1981

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Gary Numan's Jagged release: March 13th

Gary Numan's Jagged release: March 13th

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:08 am

There seems to be some hope that he could be getting back into form. Here's the Jagged microsite:

http://www.jagged-album.com/

And some preview/reviews:

'Recently Numan has undergone a renaissance and he's going for broke with these anthemic tunes. Underpinned by steroidal beats - some featuring real drums - the massive synths and guitars are stacked up like some Babelesque tower constructed from breezeblocks. Subtle it ain't - listening on headphones feels like putting one's head in a car crusher - but it is supremely confident and the innovator of the late '70s never sounds like he's having to play catch-up.'
Mojo

'The beats are fresh, the incident effects impact nicely and there's more energy here than there should be from someone who has been through the music industry mill for the last quarter of a century plus. . . When the chorus of tracks like 'Slave', 'In A Dark Place' and the superb 'Haunted' hit home, you see the lights lift and the arms raise just like they did in '79.'
Future Music 8/10

'Comparing his current sound to the synths on Replicas, for example, is rather like comparing Terminator to Terminator 2. If Replicas was the future in a Buck Rogers/Barbarella kind of way, then Jagged is a prophesised Android Armageddon, replete with a dark wave industrial metal soundtrack. It's scary but the special effects are spellbinding. Numan's vocals are superb throughout, still disconnected obviously, but in songs such as 'In A Dark Place' and 'Haunted' he conjures up the soaring choruses that fill your head to bursting. Elsewhere, barely audible noises clash with bulldozer guitars, whispered voices speak of isolation but suggest that you are not alone, and bass lines swell and bounce like steel balloons, combining to make Jagged an exhilarating, if at times claustrophobic, experience.'
Musicomh.com

'This is his best work in a decade. There's even some potential for chart action here with 'In A Dark Place', especially, having enough links to the world of rawk to drag in a few Rammstein / Manson fans along the way.'
Metal4life.com

Did anyone listen to 2000's Pure? Any good? His Euro tour starts soon. I haven't seen any US dates.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Ollie Stench » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:52 am

I really liked Sacrifice when it was released. Exile left me a little dry. I never heard Pure, thinking that the direction he was moving in was too NIN/Marilyn Manson for my tastes.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby doctort13 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:49 am

I purchased "Jagged" last week and feel that it's one of Numan's best recordings. He has successfully combined his harder-edge sound (Pure) with keyboard lines from earlier in his career. I think the whole CD sounds great and encourage everyone to buy a copy.

More info at http://www.numan.net
doctort13
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Plastikmann » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:15 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Ollie Stench[/i]
<br>[snip]
thinking that the direction he was moving in was too NIN/Marilyn Manson for my tastes.
[/quote]
In my opinion JAGGED is in the same style, too much sounding like these bands...
In some way it is similar to his older stuff, but perhaps this depends on the voice [}:)]
Plastikmann
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:11 am

I've read many reviews stating it was nothing other than Pure-Part 2, and I hated that album. In fact, I think Numan died after Dance. Even I, Assasin only managed a couple of passable songs.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby StormyPetrel » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:56 pm

I dig it!

B
A

-~Obscene dreams in rusty beds.~-
StormyPetrel
Personal Jesus

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations