Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

BOSTON UNDERGROUND - 1979-1982 (Moulty 110; USA)

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:22 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by tileboy[/i]
<br>Great info Somebody,Now I'm going to have to go on a search for those two records.[/quote]

I was going to tell you there was a copy of "Yowl" in an eBay store for $9.99, but it's since disappeared. Hopefully, you got it. Not a bad price, seeing as it was sealed. Granted, it originally retailed for $5.98. (As Modern Method warned, "Don't pay more.") That's why everybody had Modern Method (and Propeller) stuff, you know. 'Cause they were dirt cheap. The EP had a $4 list price. Which was twice as much as I paid for mine, IIRC.

Since I just dug out my records, here's track info, if you can't find it elsewhere...

NATIVE TONGUE
October, 1981
Modern Method 010

Side 1
1. Speaking in Captions
2. All Wronged Up

Side 2
1. No Sense
2. Carving the Future from Soap

YOWL
Fall (or thereabout), 1983
Modern Method MM020

Side 1
1. Hoodwinked
2. Blame It on Gravity
3. Pencil Point
4. Ali
5. Thieves at Night

Side 2
1. No Bush Beat
2. Bit Part
3. Do I Bother You?
4. Fluffy Thing
5. The Cake

It's great that they put up the myspace page to promote the new CD. There certainly was next to nothing about them on the web a few years ago.

Regrettably, I didn't start listening to it until the year after, but both Native Tongue and Dangerous Birds competed in the 1982 WBCN Rock n Roll Rumble. Along with bands who released 4 of my favorite Boston singles of the early '80s, Limbo Race ("Down and Backwards"), Angry Young Bees ("You're Not Talking to Me"), Gary Shane and the Detour ("Johnny's Coaltrain") and Puppet Rulers ("Complicated Girl"... though I liked the flip, "Outta My Mind," better). There was also The Wild Stares, who were HORRENDOUS. I mean, Jesus H. Christ, did that band suck. Anyone who can listen to their "Scorch Truth" ("Scorched Earth?" Whatever it was called) album all the way through deserves a purple heart!

--
[b]YouTube Music Video of the Week[/b]

Sex Execs - "My Ex"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=68JvthwenzU
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby randy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:52 am

Wow--Angry Young bees--those guys always put on a great show. Talented bunch that should have made it bigger.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:14 am

Lucky you. I never got the chance. But I love their first and third singles to death. (Second one's pretty weak -- Jamie Shaler and Will Hunt let the other members write the tracks. Big mistake.)

Got a thread planned for them in the distant future.

--

X-Teens - "Change Gotta Come"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4a-IkQtigeA
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby Jamie Bee » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by randy[/i]
<br>Wow--Angry Young bees--those guys always put on a great show. Talented bunch that should have made it bigger.
[/quote]
Jamie Bee
Running Up That Hill

Postby Jamie Bee » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:17 am

[If I'm entering this correctly (very lotech i'm afraid) I wanted to say thanks for the kind words......this is Jamie Bee Shaler! A friend sent me this link the other day.....Will and I were quite amused that somebody somewhere agreed with us about the 2cd record.....kind of what split the band up. Since somebody has a thread planned let me know! I know ALL the facts (well, at least I can remember some of them) If you want to catch up on Bees, I've just released a Christmas album (not quite what you might think!) and am nearing completion of a new album. I have a website where you can check out songs and by other albums of mine....it's jamieandchris.com also will has a site and an album for sale at willhuntrock.com Craig Kahn the drummer came to town in August and we had a big Bee reunion jam with 2cd bass player Jeff Baust...the only bass player I know who became something...he has a doctorate and teaches at Berklee School of Music.....Well, i hope this shows up somewhere and that I can find the conversation again....very entertaining that actual humans are out there discussing the Bees!
Jamie Bee
Running Up That Hill

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:21 pm

Hey, Jamie. I guess you ARE talking to me!

I missed out on Jamie Shaler on Vacation, too. So I guess I blew it twice. But will definitely be picking up the cassette, since I don't have that. Had no idea you were originally from PA... although most of the local BCN faves were from somewhere else, weren't they?

You got to get yourself over to CD Baby, big guy, and put together a Bees comp. "Watching the Sharks" would be everybody's favorite song in the world -- if only they got to hear it.

Keep it wicked, man.

P.S. When you get a chance, you think you could fix up any mondegreens here? TIA.

YOU'RE NOT TALKING TO ME
(Shaler)

I see you across the room
And I collapse into a swoon
I go over there, you touch my hair
And I'm doomed

You look like the universe
But you're fiddling with your purse
To think you'd be mine is a big waste of time
But I'm cursed

You're not looking at me
You're not talking to me
You're just standing by me
In front of society

We both remember where we've been
But you know if it's out or in
You look like a queen in a flash magazine
But you're dim

I look at your nails, I'll bet they know tales
But they're not talking
I look in your eyes, nothing but lies
But still I'm fine

One day you leave me flat
Take the car keys and leave the cat
When the time goes wrong, I write a song
And that's that

--

Netherworld Dancing Toys - "For Today"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE82oke8BWM
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby tileboy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 am

<br>Great info Somebody,Now I'm going to have to go on a search for those two records. I still hear a GOF/Pylon vibe going on,with Burma mixed in.
[/quote]

Picked up Yowl Today at a local store for $7.00, opened, but in very good shape. I guess I paid more than the $5.98.
tileboy
Room at the Top

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:50 am

Picked up Yowl Today at a local store for $7.00, opened, but in very good shape. I guess I paid more than the $5.98.[/quote]

Heh. Well, with inflation...

So what'd ya think? Agree with me on "Blame It on Gravity" and "Ali?" Or other faves? "No Bush Beat," "Hoodwinked" and "Pencil Point" are OK, too. The rest is a blur.

--

Netherworld Dancing Toys - "For Today"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE82oke8BWM
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby tileboy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:09 am

I think side two is stronger than the first side with "No Bush Beat" being the pick. I also like the instrumental "Fluffy thing"
"Ali" is my fav on side one.
tileboy
Room at the Top

Postby big_science » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:03 pm

does anybody remember 21-645? They only had two songs released - "Babble" on the Propeller 7" and "Red Red" on a Throbbing Lobster comp. Featured Phil Lenker (Lyres), Jay Parham (Flies), and Randall Gibson (Scruffy the Cat / Flies). I've been trying to convince them to release their demos and tapes. Most people I talk to say they were fantastic.
big_science
Running Up That Hill

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:19 am

I listened to "Babble" two weeks ago after successfully dredging up "Laughing at the Ground" (because I was drawing a blank on the Dangerous Birds tune that was on it... and I didn't find out until after the fact that somebody posted it online -- http://members.cox.net/inferiority/thal ... ounds.html ). Thought it was pretty weak -- as were the other 3 tracks. Not sure if I have "Nobody Gets on the Guest List"...

But I don't remember them from back then. I remember Flies. I bought their "Get Wise" album way back when in a cut-out bin. Played it once, and that was enough. How many nondescript garage bands did Boston need really?

--

The Sports - "How Come"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6gVYp4BdAg
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Re:

Postby Bob Ross » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:01 pm

randy wrote:Dangerous Birds were an all girl group from what I remember--think they actually had a decent tune Alpha Romeo or something like that. Like Coop said--Young snakes were Aimmee Mann.--Not sure of the rest though

Dangerous Birds was one of Thalia Zadek's first bands, before Uzi and Come.
Aimee Mann's cohorts in Young Snakes were Michael Evans on drums and Doug Vargas on guitar. (Evans replaced Dave Bass.)
Bob Ross
Running Up That Hill

Re: BOSTON UNDERGROUND - 1979-1982 (Moulty 110; USA)

Postby Barmy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:29 pm

November Group is the all time best NW USA band.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations