Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Boomtown Rats Are Coming.......

The Boomtown Rats Are Coming.......

Postby devildog » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:12 am

Yes, their entire catalog will be reissued Feb. 7, all with bonus tracks, etc. Checkout Siren Disc.com for details!! Its about time!
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby cubby » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:39 am

It's about time!!!
cubby
The Jet Set

Postby Sean » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:02 am

Bob Geldof is an awesome individual. Glad to see that they are reissuing the Rats cd's. Were there ever any extended versions or remixes for Banana Republic and Skin on Skin?
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:25 pm

The minute I saw this thread, I checked out sirendisc, but they had very little info about them (I wanted to see what was getting released as bonus tracks and on which disc), and then I went to Bob Geldof's website to see about getting info there (www.bobgeldof.net).
The site has always had a stance that if they did not have an official release date, they would not state it, and even though the dates have been scheduled on other sites, they are still not confirming them. I just hope come this time next month, their whole back catalog is sitting pretty next to my CD player, it's way overdue.
I do feel sorry for some of those people who are paying big bucks on eBay for their stuff now, seeing as how if they wait a tad bit longer, they can have it all plus some.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby devildog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:05 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by skinnytie[/i]
<br>The minute I saw this thread, I checked out sirendisc, but they had very little info about them (I wanted to see what was getting released as bonus tracks and on which disc), and then I went to Bob Geldof's website to see about getting info there (www.bobgeldof.net).
The site has always had a stance that if they did not have an official release date, they would not state it, and even though the dates have been scheduled on other sites, they are still not confirming them. I just hope come this time next month, their whole back catalog is sitting pretty next to my CD player, it's way overdue.
I do feel sorry for some of those people who are paying big bucks on eBay for their stuff now, seeing as how if they wait a tad bit longer, they can have it all plus some.
[/quote]

Happy New Year, Skinnytie! It is possible that they may not be released but I have found SirenDisc to be pretty reliable about announcing upcoming releases. I guess we will just keep our fingers crossed. I am sure they will have more info about each disc as the release date draws nearer.
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby rewind » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:49 am

They're available to pre-order at Amazon...and they have all the track info; lots of bonus tracks!
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:33 pm

Thanks, rewind, I just looked at the track listings on Amazon, and here's what I have to add:
If you already have the European CD of "Tonic for the Troops", do not get rid of it; it looks like the bonus tracks from that CD did not make it onto the new releases.
Some b-sides did not make it onto any of the CD's, such as "Born to Burn", "Man at the Top", "It's All the Rage" and "Europe Looked Ugly" (from what I could tell, anyway; and "It's All the Rage" had been released on CD previously).
The CD's look like they replicate the songs that were on their UK vinyl counterparts, and not the USA versions (I think the only albums which stayed the same in both countries were the first one and "The Fine Art of Surfacing"). Also, if Amazon has listed the tracks in the order in which they appear on the CD's, they are totally different than their sequential listing on the vinyl.
Looks like there is plenty of demo stuff as bonus material as well, and while I'm not a big fan of that, I'm sure there are others who enjoy hearing the song making process in progress.
Other than that, I've already set my money aside for these babies and am awaiting their release. I'm looking forward to them coming out more now than I did when they were first released on vinyl.
And happy new year to you as well, devildog; thanks for starting this thread to begin with! [:)]
phew!
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby devildog » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:21 am

How could they leave off "Its All The Rage"?? That is my favorite track by these guys. Man, that is just absurd. [V]
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby skinnytie » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:12 am

I know, devildog, but at least it was previously released on CD, not like some of those other tracks. And I have to amend my previous post, "How Do You Do?" looks like it's the only bonus track from the old European release of "Tonic For the Troops" that is making it onto the new releases.
But wouldn't it be nice if the missing b-sides miraculously showed up as hidden tracks on the CD's? I know it's a pipe dream, but Bob Geldof has shown a penchant to adding little things to the ends of albums.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby Jason² » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:15 am

Not to bang the drum TOO loudly, but these are also available from...

wait for it...

<B><A HREF="http://idealcopy.american-data.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MUBoomtownRats">The Ideal Copy</A>!!!!</B>
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby devildog » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:10 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by skinnytie[/i]
<br>I know, devildog, but at least it was previously released on CD, not like some of those other tracks. And I have to amend my previous post, "How Do You Do?" looks like it's the only bonus track from the old European release of "Tonic For the Troops" that is making it onto the new releases.
But wouldn't it be nice if the missing b-sides miraculously showed up as hidden tracks on the CD's? I know it's a pipe dream, but Bob Geldof has shown a penchant to adding little things to the ends of albums.
[/quote]

Skinnytie, Maybe Bob & The Rats will release a cd of rare b-sides, alternative mixes, etc.? It might depend how well these re-issues sell? One can only hope!!! I am sure they have plenty of additional material that can be issued on cd for the first time.
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby skinnytie » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:04 am

That would be nice, here's hoping for that! Also, Bob's website has announced Feb. 7 as the official release date of the re-issues, so the countdown has begun!
Incidentally, I think it's laughable to see people on eBay try to make their last buck on the previous Boomtown Rats releases. Some of those copies are still worth keeping, since a couple of the songs didn't make it onto the new releases.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby skinnytie » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:07 am

I don't believe so, Sean, but I can be wrong. I think the only extended versions they ever did was for "Up All Night" and "House on Fire", both of which are included as bonus tracks on the new releases.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Sean[/i]
<br>Bob Geldof is an awesome individual. Glad to see that they are reissuing the Rats cd's. Were there ever any extended versions or remixes for Banana Republic and Skin on Skin?
[/quote]
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby skinnytie » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:08 am

Well, so far, I only picked up two of these releases (the self-titled first album, and "In the Long Grass", their last album). The remastering sounds terrific, and they've done a great job overall, although I always prefer a booklet to the fold-out poster type insert that accompany these. The demo tracks included on the re-release of their first disc include some really good stuff that I'm surprised never saw the light of day until now, and the live version of "Barefootin'" is faded out at the end (which was to be expected, since the original vinyl version kept playing into the end groove of the record). Definitely worth the money, and I'm looking forward to picking up the other releases. It's nice to see something like this done well when it finally happens.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Sun May 29, 2005 1:56 pm

I am confused (no surprise that!). I remember a BR tune called Rain that I really liked. From 1984 or so. I don't see it listed on any of the releases. Can anyone explain this?
schwenko
Room at the Top

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations