Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bronski Beat/Communards 2CD Remasters! 02/07

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:00 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by soundstory[/i]
<br>I can't believe that they have left off the one reason I would buy it

no Smalltown Boy 12" mix !!

That's insane, it's their biggest single !
[/quote]

For some reason I really like the 'Hundreds And Thousands' version much more than the original 9-minutes 12 inch version. It's 3 minutes shorter, but not bad at all and a very original approach of the basic song.
Luke
Personal Jesus

Postby discoginfo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Jimmy Somerville Read My Lips (Deluxe Edition)
tracklist:
http://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/Produc ... uctID=6143
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby Finnatic » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:11 pm

On releases like these, what do you suppose would be a ballpark number of copies that would be purchased throughout the world?
Finnatic
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Luke » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:15 am

Looks like these discs are full of mistakes. All the hit singles on the original albums were replaced by all 7 inch versions instead of leaving the original albums intact.

There are also many 12 inch vinyl rips instead of clean master tapes.
Unlucky for the fans, because this will be the last opportunity to get the whole package.

You can read the first review about this on amazon as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... d_i=468294

Keep your original CD's!
Luke
Personal Jesus

Postby discoginfo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:51 am

I believe the real danger here lies in the fact that if CD re-releases are "substandard" (according to "the fans") and therefore sell too little, it will give further weight the record company notion that releasing real CDs is not worthwhile anymore so they focus on digital-only releases instead. Or maybe this is what they want? Digital releases cost little to produce. Some claim that the vinyl market in the late 80s was deliberately sabotaged by record companies, by making the vinyl sound bad and including some extra tracks on CDs, so that they could sell the more profitable CDs instead of vinyls (vinyls could be returned if there was some scratches etc). Not sure if that was true (we will never find out) but it's quite obvious that record companies releasing CDs today are not interested in having "fan input" but rely on a single person to do the track listing. In the case of this 2-CD I believe the compiler focused on including tracks that have not been issued on CD before, which is logical in a way... But unsatisfactroy for fans who want all tracks in one CD set.

About that amazon review, he does not say outright that some tracks were from vinyl, he only thought so, and did not complain about the sound too much, only that the "original" sounded "clearer". Well I don't know, I have not bought it.

/JW
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby soundstory » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by discoginfo[/i]
<br>I believe the real danger here lies in the fact that if CD re-releases are "substandard" (according to "the fans") and therefore sell too little, it will give further weight the record company notion that releasing real CDs is not worthwhile anymore so they focus on digital-only releases instead. Or maybe this is what they want? Digital releases costs little to produce. Some claim that the vinyl market in the late 80s was deliberately sabotaged by record companies, by making the sound bad and including some extra tracks on CDs, so that they could sell the more profitable CDs instead of vinyls could be returned if the was some noise etc. Not sure if that was true (we will never find out) but it's quite obvious that record companies releasing CDs today are not interested in having "fan input" but rely on a single person to do the track listing. In the case of this 2-CD I believe the compiler focused on including tracks that have not been issued on CD before, which is logical in a way... But unsatisfactroy for fans who want all tracks in one CD set.

About that amazon review, he does not say outright that some tracks were from vinyl, he only thought so, and did not complain about the sound too much, only that the "original" sounded "clearer". Well I don't know, I have not bought it.

/JW
[/quote]

Yes I agree, it's hard to tell yet whether this is the case or not.

As it doesn't include the 12" mix of Smalltown Boy I decided not to purchase.

With some of the Cherry Pop releases over the last couple of years, it makes you wonder what's going on.

Are master tapes in general in such a bad state that vinyl is the only option in some cases?.
soundstory
Personal Jesus

Postby moni » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Very surprised about these releases not that i would buy them personally not my cup of tea but i have found the vast majority of Edsels stuff to be good quality.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby Lois » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:05 am

I'm sad i have a friend who told me that some titles are not very good quality. Its a rotten vinyl. Not directly from master tapes?
I wanted to buy the deluxe edition with this news but I bought more. Not buy. I am disappointed as many fans.
I want the deluxe editions of Samantha Fox is not critical. Perfect sound!
Lois
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:57 am

The vast majority of the time, this is a cost saving measure. Master tapes are often available and would transfer just fine with a quick bake in the oven, but companies don't want to pay for that "restoration". Instead, they'll just drop the needle on crackly vinyl and leave it at that.

And I've said it before, the more people who are "just glad it's available" are the same people who ensure this tactic continues. I was eagerly awaiting the release of the new Sony Original Classic Albums for the the Thompson Twins, in hope their 'Set' album would not be the shitty vinyl transfer from the Edsel release. Well, that's all it was. And again, this one was a real insult because the master tapes are pictured on the packaging but not used.

I research and buy any reissues nowadays with great caution, thanks to vinyl remastering and/or brickwalled volume.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby moni » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:32 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Rubellan[/i]
<br>

I was eagerly awaiting the release of the new Sony Original Classic Albums for the the Thompson Twins, in hope their 'Set' album would not be the shitty vinyl transfer from the Edsel release. Well, that's all it was. And again, this one was a real insult because the master tapes are pictured on the packaging but not used.

[/quote]
I think you need to post a review on amazon to let people know that they will be buying this crap again. I would also hazard a guess that the recently released box sets by Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet will have the fucked up remasters in them as well. They clearly don't give a flying fuck now what inferior crap they release to the general public.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Maybe my ears are going bad and I can't tell the difference anymore but I got the Bronski Beat and the 2 Communards Remasters and think they sound fine and love them. [8]
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 pm

It seems that the "regular 12" Mix" of I Feel Love (1985 single with Marc Almond) is not on CD yet. But there is a "Source Mix" on the new 2-CD that is 10 min 5 sec. According to some info at discogs.com the regular 12" mix is 9 min 44 sec. Have anyone compared them? Maybe the duration is off on the first single, and it's really the same version?

PS the two "demos" were not "previously unreleased" like I had assumed, they were issued on two various artists magazine cassettes and single. /JW
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:58 am

I have finally started on a discography for THE COMMUNARDS:
http://www.discog.info/communards.html

I did the first album for now. It took a while because there was much research to do and confusion as usual.

/JW
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Re: Bronski Beat/Communards 2CD Remasters! 02/07

Postby humanracer » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 am

Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Re:

Postby Michl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:19 pm

discoginfo wrote:Interesting. It is listed at wikipedia, and several other sites that rank high on google, however when i checked, there is no proof whatsoever, no further info, no pictures, no cat no, no nothing. As if this was not enough, this song does not exist at discogs.com, ebay, amazon or even youtube, so I must conclude - it does not exist.

Hi there,
I asked Mike Thorne whether "What More Can I Say" exist or not and he answered to me that it exists, he produced it and it was released but it wasn't successful.
He also told me that it can be found on ebay.com from time to time but not that often.
I'd really like to have it or at least to get a mp3 (192 kBit/s) of it
Regards
Michl
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations