Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

What is up with WB?

What is up with WB?

Postby korova1 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:17 am

Man, I hate to get negative, but Warner Brothers is really burning me up with the way they are handling their catalog. First it was the half-assed releases of Aztec Camera's - Knife (The attached EP sounds like it was remastered off cassette) and the Gang of Four CD's (Solid Gold sounds poorly remastered) on Wounded Bird.... then it continues with the feeble attempts at rereleasing the DEVO stuff on Collectables. If you aren't going to do it right, then release the tapes to somebody who is going to do it right!
EMI has learned by releasing 3 CD compendiums of Gen X, Duran Duran Singles Boxes, Stranglers, Buzzcocks boxes, etc.... why can't the WB? Rhino is obviously overloaded and can't handle all of their catalog and WB is too cheap to release the tapes to another entity... (They own Collectables and Wounded Bird... from what I was told) The DEVO stuff deserves better, I mean the packaging is so lame... just a cover, no lyrics, no bonus tracks... NOTHING! Get it together.
I have the Infinite Zero releases, and will buy anything related to DEVO, and I just feel bad for the folks who don't have the releases with the bonuses and have to deal with this sub-par CRAP that Collectables just put out! Amazing.... Didn't WB learn from the Wilco incident to just put things out the right way and not to fight it?
korova1
Personal Jesus

Postby Surly » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:58 am

WB does not own Wounded Bird or Collectables. Those are private companies that licesned the records from WB/Rhino for reissue. Those companies are responsible for their own remastering, packaging, etc.

Jason2 can explain how this process works, since
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby bruiser » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:23 am

i don't agree about the devo stuff, i'm glad they are back in print with good sound at a very affordable price (albeit in minimal packaging). those two cds (but especially "duty now") have needed to be in print for years. i think making them readily avail
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby eight6 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:27 am

I'm curious, are all these re-issues off of original master tapes, or are some of them lifted from vinyl. I remember reading somewhere that the emulsion used in tape deteriorates over the years. Conversely, a pristine vinyl copy could yield a superior sou
eight6
Room at the Top

Postby korova1 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:42 pm

Why can't Warner's release the music the right way? Why does there have to be a half-assed outsourced release of DEVO's catalog instead of a proper one? Why do relatively obscure Jazz and 70's pop musicians get full catalog releases with bonus tracks an
korova1
Personal Jesus

Postby Alex Hush » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:05 pm

Unfortunately it comes down to 1 factor:
(time+effort+production+marketing)usually = (less than sales to justify the project).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"
Alex Hush
Personal Jesus

Postby bruiser » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:31 am

most improbably unremastered back-catalog at warner brothers: prince.
this just blows my mind. and no remix collections, no COMPREHENSIVE b-sides collection, no demo or rarities set. it's probably prince's doing, as he gives the yes or no to this, but ev
bruiser
The Jet Set

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations