Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

John Foxx " The Virgin Years 1980-1985"

John Foxx " The Virgin Years 1980-1985"

Postby omar » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:11 pm

5 cd clamshell boxset. Highly recommended. Got it in the mail today. Listening to The Garden right now. Excellent remastering. I'm pretty sure these are the same ones that Edsel used for their cds although the remaster for Metamatic is supposed to be a new "Analogue" version. The 5th disc Fusion/Fission has all the alternate/early mixes from that era.
omar
Room at the Top

Re: John Foxx " The Virgin Years 1980-1985"

Postby cispas » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:39 am

I respect the man as an artist, but isn't he milking it a bit as well?...
I would think that the fans have all the versions and mixes etc they need by now, right?
:roll:
cispas
Personal Jesus

Postby Spudboy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:45 pm

:|
I bought all of the Edsel reissues back around 2010 and before that, the Virgin issues in 1995.

Enough already!!! How many times can you make Metamatic "better" than the reissue from a few years back?
Still looking for my girl with auburn hair and tawny eyes...
Spudboy
Personal Jesus

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:36 am

All this recent torrent of Foxx's reissues and compilations seems rather silly. OK, everyone put out the "deluxe editions" so they had to do one, I suppose - but why did they keep digging stuff from vaults like early versions, mixes etc. for later releases? Why couldn't they put everything out one time? It's confusing and a bit dishonest.

As for this yet another remaster of Metamatic, funny but the best sounding release of the album is still the first CD from 1993! Later ones all had some sort of issues quality-wise :? And this "new" one really offers nothing new as people on John's forum pointed out. And they're right - what more can one squeeze out from such a minimalist recording? In short, pointless.

They keep tinkering with the running order of "In Mysterious Ways" - why is this fine and underrated album so unloved? Isn't it better to leave it alone?

And nothing new in a way of bonuses.

I have a question considering all of this - why bother? Fans have (almost) everything already ("almost" because while preparing the "deluxe editions" they still couldn't include everything that was commercially available in the 80s!). And a casual buyer mainly won't be interested. A sad waste of time and resources.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:56 pm

I agree. But I only had Glimmer the Best Of from him which is why it made sense to get the boxset.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby hypnohighball » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:10 pm

I agree, this is a fantastic deal for anyone who doesn't already have these cds, for those of us that have the recent remasters with bonus tracks, not so much.

I also agree with a previous poster that the original Virgin cds for Metamatic and The Garden are the best sounding of all the different cd issues.
hypnohighball
Take On Me

Postby JohnR » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:59 pm

Recently I've been reading about John Foxx's aborted 1982 album, which had the working title of In the Glow. According to interviews, he was working on about eight tracks when he abandoned that project and moved on to what would become The Golden Section. Does anyone here know which of the 1982 recordings, if any, have surfaced on any of the compilations and reissues? Aside from obviously the original Endlessly and its b-side Young Man, three of the previously unreleased tracks on the The Golden Section 2-CD from 2008 sound to me like they could likely have come from the 1982 sessions:

My Wild Love (Early Version)
Twilight's Last Gleaming (Early Version)
Shine on Me

But does anyone here have a more definite answer? All of the b-sides from The Golden Section carry the Zeus B. Held production credit, so that rules them out (unless the production credit on the original singles are incorrect). The Garden 2-CD set also includes two Early Versions of songs that would later appear on The Golden Section, but the sound of those definitely fits more with The Garden than with the 1982 version of Endlessly.
JohnR
Running Up That Hill

Postby discoginfo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:16 am

Interesting. I believe the only way would be to look at John's original tape boxes and see if they are dated,
or possibly if his sessions were documented somehow. Where did you read about that GLOW LP by the way.
/J
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby JohnR » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:54 am

discoginfo wrote:Where did you read about that GLOW LP by the way.

The first mention I saw of it was in this interview:
On Riverside you said that you scrapped an LP. Was this after your original 'Endlessly' single?

"What actually happened was I'd recorded about eight tracks when I decided not to continue with them because I suddenly got a lot of fresh ideas and songs which I felt I had to pursue. These became the Golden Section songs. All this happened at about the time of the 'Endlessly' single. It's not really a drama, as I tend to do this kind of thing all the time."

And there are more details, including the alleged title In the Glow, here:
http://www.ultravox.org.uk/forum/ubbthr ... ction_Mk_I
JohnR
Running Up That Hill

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations